Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I'm aware, but given the fact that Wonder Woman 750 seems to confirm the starting point for the timeline, and that said starting point lines up more or less with what some of us calculated out (we counted out that the first year in the timeline was 1938. Wonder Woman 750 confirms that we were just a year off since it's 39), it stands to reason that the timeline we were presented--the work in progress it may be-- has some validity to it.

And if that's the case then I think it's more than likely that Tim's generation are in fact in their mid to late 20s, and Damian's generation range from 11 to 19 or 20 as of the "preset" day which incidentally is very likely either 1997 or 1998. This has been strongly hinted at by Bendis' Action Comics and Legion of Super-Heroes, and that adds a bit more credibility to the work in progress timeline we do have.
    While DC has always stated the years in which the Golden Age started over the years (usually between 1939-to-1941) they’ve always used a sliding timescale (just like Marvel does) for their modern characters. So I highly doubt that they’re going to mention any specific dates for 5G beyond the 1939 starting point.
    Last edited by docmidnite; 01-22-2020 at 01:15 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    While DC has always stated the years in which the Golden Age started over the years (usually between 1939-to-1941) they’ve always used a sliding timescale (just like Marvel does) for their modern characters. So I highly doubt that they’re going to mention any specific dates for 5G beyond the 1939 starting point.
    Each issue of Action Comics that shows the DCU's version of Twitter says that the Daily Planet joined in 1984. That lines up nicely with the counted out timeline as we know it and with the theory that, like Watchmen, the emergence of the super people and super geniuses like Lex Luthor, Bruce Wayne, and Ted Kord, the DCU got a lot of advancements a lot earlier than we did. So, their 1997 or 1998 is technologically equal to our 2020.

This is further supplemented by the fact that Legion of Super-Heroes confirms that Clark was the Superman of the 20th century, and his son Jon is the Superman of the 21st century. There's also the simple fact that they created a timeline that uses traceable and specifics dates at all to begin with. There's also the talk of characters now reflecting their ages on the new timeline, thus the rumors of a much older Bruce Wayne coming soon. Bruce would be around 54 or 54 according to the timeline.

What seems to be going on is that DC isn't as interested in making its world "the world outside your window", and they're fully making it an alternative. And aesthetically they seem to taking inspiration from Kingdom Come.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Probably wait till 5G to make any calls on who's in what generation or how old anyone is.

With today's Wonder Woman confirming the new timeline, Tim's generation are in their mid mid to late 20s, and Damian's generation ranges from 11 or 12 (Jon) at the youngest to 19 or 20 (Wallace) at the oldest. And yes, for those who don't know, Wallace West is either 19 or 20 according to the new timeline.
    I am so confused right now
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I am so confused right now
    Yeah lol

I'm guessing it'll make a lot more sense when its put into practice.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

And if that's the case then I think it's more than likely that Tim's generation are in fact in their mid to late 20s, and Damian's generation range from 11 to 19 or 20 as of the "preset" day which incidentally is very likely either 1997 or 1998. This has been strongly hinted at by Bendis' Action Comics and Legion of Super-Heroes, and that adds a bit more credibility to the work in progress timeline we do have.
    What is the point of changing the timeline and history to have the "present" be set in the late 90s? The logic behind that makes no sense to me. Does that mean that the technology, media, and world issues that the ongoing stories will revolve around will be about late 90s things? Or are they taking 2020 technology, media, and world issues and just changing the date from 2020 to the late 1990s just because they want Superman to be born in 1938 and not be in his 80s, or not have WWII be set so far in the past? The reasoning behind this sounds confusing and overly complicated. The purpose behind trying to manipulate specific dates and then trying them to specific heroes feels like a very poor decision.

I mean I get whatever this 5G thing is will probably only run for a year or so before there is another reboot/realignment kicked off with some new crisis, but this all feels like such a big waste of time to me.

Spectacular Member Grandmaster_J's Avatar

I refuse to read anything Bendis is behind and TT has taken way to long to have the current team feel even close to one. That's not to say I'm not enjoying because all 3 new characters are fun to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Does that mean that the technology, media, and world issues that the ongoing stories will revolve around will be about late 90s things? Or are they taking 2020 technology, media, and world issues and just changing the date from 2020 to the late 1990s just because they want Superman to be born in 1938 and not be in his 80s, or not have WWII be set so far in the past?
    Well, given the fact the the DCU's version of twitter was made in 1984, it's pretty safe to say that the DCU is a good deal more advanced than we were during the 80s or 90s. And as far as world issues and stuff like that? My guess is that they'll finally just do their own thing. Instead of our social issues, they'll be dealing with stuff like the fact that Earth has just joined the newly formed United Planets. There's even talk in the solicitations of Clark becoming "President of Earth". That would imply a whole aspect of global government that's nothing like our own.

But outside the tech being so modern for the 90s, it's all speculation, but the idea seems to be to make the DCU its own legit alternate world in the same way Game of Thrones is. Meaning a world not swayed so directly by the real world.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post

Use (Teen) Titans just for Dick's Generation, Young Justice for Tim's, Jason has the Outlaws and Damian's generation should use something new.
    I would agree with that. I have always loved how each of the Robin's had their own team, but I don't feel like Damian's team should be the Teen Titans. When I think of the Titans and Robin, I think of Dick Grayson, as I am sure a lot of people do. I think by calling Damian's team the Teen Titans it's forcing his character to have to live up to Dick Grayson, the very first Robin. Damian should be allowed to branch out on his own without having to get compared to another Robin. People don't compare Tim's leadership of YJ to Dick's lead of TT, but we do compare Damian to Dick since he is leading the same team. He should have been given something different.