Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Should Hippoltya had been Golden Age Wonder Woman?

What do you guys think? Should they have instead used Polly ?

I've never liked Hippolyta as a previous Wonder Woman. It turns Diana into legacy hero which never sat well with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    I've never liked Hippolyta as a previous Wonder Woman. It turns Diana into legacy hero which never sat well with me.
    My sentiments exactly.

I have to say it's a interesting idea. However, I don't want the mantle of Wonder Woman to seem like it's a mother and daughter thing just yet. I mean it would be interesting if there was an amazon acted and it wasn't Paradise Island but Banas.

I'm cool with it.

Way, way older.

Hippolyte should've been the Wonder Woman of the Ancient world, a contemporary of Heracles, Theseus, and others.

Nope for this reason as well.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I did not mind when they did the Polly as Wonder Woman and I loved her interaction with the JSA, but I think I would prefer her (should she go back in time) either just using her name or calling herself Amazon. Just not necessarily Wonder Woman and not in the WW outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I did not mind when they did the Polly as Wonder Woman and I loved her interaction with the JSA, but I think I would prefer her (should she go back in time) either just using her name or calling herself Amazon. Just not necessarily Wonder Woman and not in the WW outfit.
    Without the Wonder Woman outfit and name there's no point. We still wouldn't have a Golden Age Wonder Woman. We do now, it's Diana, but for my money the Hippolyta time travel thing was so much simpler. So far what we've got now is a mess and a miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Without the Wonder Woman outfit and name there's no point. We still wouldn't have a Golden Age Wonder Woman. We do now, it's Diana, but for my money the Hippolyta time travel thing was so much simpler. So far what we've got now is a mess and a miss.
    Hippolyta going back in time was a retcon fix for the issue of Wonder Woman in the past inspiring heroes like Donna Troy. Basically a WW had to exist in the past to inspire. Enter time traveling Hippolyta. I agree that it was a simple fix for this glaring issue created by Post-Crisis WW timeline but, like all DC timeline fixes, tended to cause more issues than it actually solved. Don't get me wrong, I liked seeing WW back in the JSA and I didn't mind the fix but, I can see where others wouldn't like the idea due to the Diana being legacy.

I feel completely the same.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    What do you guys think? Should they have instead used Polly ?
    Yes. Despite the mantra of "everything happened" being brandied about by some people, I see a lot of potential JSA and All-Star Squadron history possibly being wiped away with this new timeline.

Yes as long as the time travel aspect is kept and Diana was actually first. I can't recall another non-linear legacy situation so that makes it extra interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
    Yes. Despite the mantra of "everything happened" being brandied about by some people, I see a lot of potential JSA and All-Star Squadron history possibly being wiped away with this new timeline.
    Agreed. Dislike it not being Polly in the Golden Age with the JSA, although I'll go with whatever they're doing for now. It's just quite some history being wiped that bugs me.

Having Hippolyta active in Man's World before Diana messes too much with Diana's origin. I don't see time travel or time loops as a good solution, since they intrinsically break the narrative contract unless they are the key to the story (and even then are really tricky to get right).
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])