Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Retired

The wibbily wobbily timey wimey nature of Hippolyte as Wonder Woman is such that it even contorts the language we must use for the event, thus the OP's rare tense construction and inordered spelling of the Amazon queen's name.

She should have been the original Wonder Woman given the time, but had not been the original Wonder Woman because for Hippolyte her daughter had already been Wonder Woman and she was leaving Themiscyra from the time after that happened to arrive at the time before. So she was the "legacy" character even though part of her adventures happened before Diana (in one timeline) had been Wonder Woman (and died) but after Hippolyte had taken up the Wonder Woman nom de guerre in the present day, inspired by her daughter and serving penance for her transgressions.

This is true but less confusing in the original original timeline where Hippolyte posed as Wonder Woman, after having used the time sphere to foresee a danger to her daughter, and came to Man's World disguised as the Amazing Amazon--"The Masquerader," SENSATION COMICS 26 (February 1944).

Though generally happy with the substitutes for WW in the Golden Age era : Fury and Miss America, I did enjoy what Phil Jimenez did with the time bendiness of Hippolyte being Wonder Woman. Namely having Diana masquerade as Miss America and fight beside her mother.

Astonishing Member

Here's something I've never understood about the whole "Hippolyta as the Golden Age WW through time travel" deal, as interesting as it sounds.

Was the impact of her time-travel jaunt on the timeline ever addressed? For instance, did Diana ever hear about a 'predecessor' of hers who was part of the JSA? Did the JSA know all along who Hippolyta and Diana were/are and about the time-travel? Was the public aware that Diana wasn't the first Wonder Woman, chronologically speaking?

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Here's something I've never understood about the whole "Hippolyta as the Golden Age WW through time travel" deal, as interesting as it sounds.

Was the impact of her time-travel jaunt on the timeline ever addressed? For instance, did Diana ever hear about a 'predecessor' of hers who was part of the JSA? Did the JSA know all along who Hippolyta and Diana were/are and about the time-travel? Was the public aware that Diana wasn't the first Wonder Woman, chronologically speaking?
    When Byrne introduced the time-traveling Hippolyta during his WW run, Jay Garrick, the original Flash, traveled with her and even encountered a younger version of himself, back in the 1940's. Cut back to the present and Jay and his wife both had memories about Hippolyta's 1940's JSA adventures. During Geoff Johns run on JSA, Hippolyta was a member and was referred to by other members as a long-standing member of the group. There was even a flashback story that took place in the 1940's which included Hippolyta's Wonder Woman. As for the general public, they were aware of a Wonder Woman in JSA but, not entirely sure if the public was aware that it was the Queen of the Amazons or, that her name was Hippolyta. Maybe someone else can answer/reference that question.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

No, it was a terrible idea. Diana should not be a legacy character.

Either have her be Golden Age Wonder Woman herself or leave it on Earth-2.

Constable of Continuity Gero4568's Avatar

I'm perfectly fine with the idea, as I think that Diana's activities as Wonder Woman should have begun in the modern era. I would, however, prefer to get rid of the time travel element to the Hippolyta as the Golden Age Wonder Woman concept. Time travel just makes it confusing.
    Pull List: Detective Comics, Batman, Flash, Justice League, Future State

The government wants the truth. I want the truth. And one way or another, we're all going to get it

-Donna Troy

The Wonder Woman comics should have moved on from World War 2 entirely.

Hippolyta travels to mans world in a more basic WW costume to aid mans world. Said costume is updated to be more USA themed (explaining away that little oddity) she becomes disillusioned with mans world as the war nears its end as the atrocities pile up and the nukes are too much. She leaves bitter and angry. This explains why she's so against Diana going into mans world originally, she was Diana once....only it went horribly wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Hippolyta travels to mans world in a more basic WW costume to aid mans world. Said costume is updated to be more USA themed (explaining away that little oddity) she becomes disillusioned with mans world as the war nears its end as the atrocities pile up and the nukes are too much. She leaves bitter and angry. This explains why she's so against Diana going into mans world originally, she was Diana once....only it went horribly wrong.
    I could see them doing a version of this. No time travel required :P.

Granted i don't hate Diana being active from WW2. It open more opportunities for her as a character and turns some of her weaknesses into strengths.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-13-2020 at 07:24 AM.

Retired

Hippolyta didn't actually travel through time. Or to put it another way, everyone, including Diana, has to travel through time to get into Man's World from Paradise Island--because it exists outside of time and space. So when Diana left the island, she went toward the 1990s, whereas Hippolyta went toward the 1940s. It's like the Rock of Eternity in the old Fawcett comics--the Marvels could travel to other times, because the Rock of Eternity was outside of time.

I like it when Paradise Island has that aspect--it makes it easy to do stories about WW in other time periods. I like to imagine Diana visiting Ancient Greece and Rome, the Middle Ages, the Elizabethan period, Paris in the Gay '90s.

I'd absolutely hate that aspect, if it was turned into canon. Time travel in narratives never work well as the answer. It can work as the setup or premise, but is still much trickier to use than most writers realise.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Sean Izaakse drew this.
    https://twitter.com/SeanIzaakse/stat...56249037312000

Captain America and Hippolyta.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I love Hippolyta as WW but I get the argument here. If somehow Diana went to WW1 (maybe say half way after she originally came to man's world) for some reason to fight and established herself then returning to say 2020, Hippolyta going back to WW2 and being Wonder Woman still would keep Diana as the "first" Wonder Woman. So when Hippolyta comes around in say 1942, everyone already knew Diana from 1918 then in say 2015 (or whatever modern year) Diana also debuts again but for her timeline it's for the first time. (I'm speaking in terms of the New Earth 1986-2011 Wonder Woman)

No, it needlessly complicates Diana's origin with time travel shenanigans and undermines her arrival in Man's World as the first time the modern(ish) world encounters an Amazon. I also don't think the "Wonder Woman" title should be a legacy title.

Though I wouldn't mind Hipployta being a "proto-Wonder Woman" during the time of Mythical Greece.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    LOVE IT! Hippolyta in DC isn't a wimp. She may be less powerful than Diana, but still formidable.