Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Could had done Wonderwoman dies and gets reborn in life instead. Or the twin split thing or whatever that was.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The post-Crisis origin ALWAYS messed it up so that Diana was a legacy. Due to Donna's history with the Teen Titans remaining intact (though not her origin story) while Wonder Woman was rebooted, Donna debuted as Wonder Girl before Diana debuted as Wonder Woman, for crying out loud!

Donna's Titans of Myth origin would've been unnecessary had they used Hippolyta as a previous Wonder Woman at that point. Nowadays there's absolutely no reason for it, not with Diana's history restored.
    Don't forget the Crime Syndicate of America. (At least, a Qwardian variation of it, maybe.)

The JLA fought a Super Woman with a golden lasso...before WW debuted.

No one thought it odd that Wonder Girl and Super Woman appeared before Wonder Woman? Great planning DC!

Astonishing Member

I liked Hippolyta as the JSA Wonder Woman.

But...we seem to be moving on into a different era.

If DC has deemed Diana to be debuted in 1939...so be it.

It can't be worse than most of DC decisions. (They've made soooo many bad choices!)

Diana has always been and will always be
    My Wonder Woman
    I don’t mind a
    What if Hippolyta played Wonder Woman
    What if Donna played Wonder Woman
    What if Atremis played Wonder Woman
    Because at the end of the appearance that
    Is all it would have ended up being “play acting
    A role “

Because there is only one real and true
    Wonder Woman and that is our Diana

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    I've never liked Hippolyta as a previous Wonder Woman. It turns Diana into legacy hero which never sat well with me.
    Nope for this reason as well.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I did not mind when they did the Polly as Wonder Woman and I loved her interaction with the JSA, but I think I would prefer her (should she go back in time) either just using her name or calling herself Amazon. Just not necessarily Wonder Woman and not in the WW outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I did not mind when they did the Polly as Wonder Woman and I loved her interaction with the JSA, but I think I would prefer her (should she go back in time) either just using her name or calling herself Amazon. Just not necessarily Wonder Woman and not in the WW outfit.
    Without the Wonder Woman outfit and name there's no point. We still wouldn't have a Golden Age Wonder Woman. We do now, it's Diana, but for my money the Hippolyta time travel thing was so much simpler. So far what we've got now is a mess and a miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Without the Wonder Woman outfit and name there's no point. We still wouldn't have a Golden Age Wonder Woman. We do now, it's Diana, but for my money the Hippolyta time travel thing was so much simpler. So far what we've got now is a mess and a miss.
    Hippolyta going back in time was a retcon fix for the issue of Wonder Woman in the past inspiring heroes like Donna Troy. Basically a WW had to exist in the past to inspire. Enter time traveling Hippolyta. I agree that it was a simple fix for this glaring issue created by Post-Crisis WW timeline but, like all DC timeline fixes, tended to cause more issues than it actually solved. Don't get me wrong, I liked seeing WW back in the JSA and I didn't mind the fix but, I can see where others wouldn't like the idea due to the Diana being legacy.

Retired

I'd like it now if there was a separate Earth, where all of the original comics stories from the 1930s and 1940s actually happened--and on that Earth obviously Princess Diana is Wonder Woman.

I also liked it when they used Hippolyte as the Wonder Woman for the JSA on the DCU Earth, because it solved a problem and allowed the JSA to have a Wonder Woman on their team. I've always thought this "legacy" argument was stupid. "Legacy" itself is a fan-made concept, so it's one of the many instances of fans creating a problem out of whole cloth and then acting butt-hurt about it.

In publishing history, Diana is always going to be the original Wonder Woman and fans shouldn't lose sight of that. Comic book fiction is just comic book fiction and, on multiple Earths, you're going to have multiple Wonder Women--but those stories don't change the actual publishing history.

On DC Earth-Prime, I like Diana being the Wonder Woman from the 1940s. But then you have the other fan-made problem that Superman and Batman fans complain this somehow gives Wonder Woman greater importance in the new made-up history. Again, since this is just story telling, it shouldn't really matter so much to fans. The publishing history still exists--but the comics long ago stopped adhering to the original versions of the characters--now everything is an Elseworld.

This is why I prefer an Earth all on its own, where the original stories are respected. Then it shouldn't matter what happens to Diana on another Earth--because her original history remains intact. And even if they don't bring back Earth-Two or Earth-1940, the comic books still exist--lots of people have them in their collections.

Personally? I prefer Diana to be about the same age as Bruce and Clark. And having Hippolyta as Golden Age Wonder Woman (and "Wonder Woman" always seemed more like a title given to Themyscira's ambassador to Man's World, rather then a legacy thing, to me at least) I actually prefer.

Retired

I always assumed that Diana doesn't age or ages very slowly. I guess the same could be said for Superman. But of the three, I'd imagine Diana staying the youngest. So for every twenty years that Bruce ages, Clark ages five years and Diana ages two months.

OP Question -

I'll say no. Diana should be the first Wonder Woman. Plus, until Diana leaves for Man's World the Amazons should be (and remain so for quite some time afterward) isolationist.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I loved it while DC banned Diana from being active during WWII. Now I'm glad Diana is getting her place back in WWII and the Justice Society/All-Star Squadron.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    I've never liked Hippolyta as a previous Wonder Woman. It turns Diana into legacy hero which never sat well with me.
    I feel completely the same.

Astonishing Member

Yeah, the Golden Age Wonder Woman was ... Wonder Woman.

I've even read her origin! It's not that different than the modern ones!

Also, Batman and Superman were there. Also, World War II was happening. Also, existing in a universe that reflects the real world ... weekly ... and tells stories where you're perpetually 30 for 75 years seems like a real dilemma. Remember when my early adventures happened? That was actually my mom! Wait, no, it wasn't! I'm immortal! Storytelling about the kind of storytelling that you exist in ... isn't always bad storytelling. But it is bad storytelling. Ooh that might be a hot take.

I'm a big lover of the DC Universe having all these elements of being a self-actualizing story and how the Monitors and cosmic aspects and everything tell a story about a universe that exists ... in story. That cosmically knows that it's 2-Dimensional. Where the Bleed is actually in between the gutters of pages in cosmic books, and where comic books tell them about alternate multiversal universes, where Ben-Day dots are Kirbified into ultimate cosmic energy and where four-color cubes are the ultimate doorways. But the endless cycle of Crises are definitely a result of that. Characters constantly having to reconcile their own existence in print.
    Last edited by K. Jones; 01-25-2020 at 07:31 AM.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com