Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Marvel Characters in the DC Universe

When he was writing a column for CBR, Mark Millar had said that DC and Marvel in the mid 90s at the height of their intercompany crossovers, were going to have one of each of their characters to appear in the other's universe in a finite series. Obviously history shows this didn't happen, but it is interesting what could've been.

Pitch a Marvel series set in the DC Universe and a DC series set in the Marvel Universe.

In marvel vs dc issue 1 it's confirmed that there is a Spider-Man in the dc universe and that the batman Spider-Man one shot was in the dc universe! This confuses the marvel Spider-Man.

Hawkeye lived in the dc universe for a time even joining the jla! (yes a marvel hero was in the jla!) Mantis was in the dc universe for a time also. Then there's access who lives in both worlds!

At the other side a version of barry flash lives in the marvel universe and has speed force! (so why couldn't the flash use it in jla vs avengers when barry can?)

This story is what I'd want to see...

2122.jpg

Boisterously Confused

The best candidate that comes to mind is The Fantastic Four. DC doesn't have anything quite like them (The Terrifics included, even tho the FF are Challengers of the Unknown revisions). Their arrival could be spun as one of Mr. Fantastic's explorations gone haywire. A continuous subplot (running parallel with coping with their new world) would be trying to get home (especially if The Richards and The Thing were cut off from their families). Besides, a Thing/Guy Gardner encounter could be barrel of fun. For that matter, there's some fun to be had with encounters with Aquaman, Lex Luthor, and Solomon Grundy.

If we're talking about Marvel heroes as "natives" of the DCU, the best fit I can think of is Captain America. He fits both the JSA and the JLA like a glove, his time jump works to move him from Gold to Silver Ages, and almost his entire rogues gallery is not too out of step with DC's. Moreover, (like the FF) DC doesn't have anything quite like him if you dial him up to Movie Cap abilities and let him occupy the power niche Superman inhabited from 1938-1941ish.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Captain America leading the JSA is a no-brainer to me.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Captain America leading the JSA is a no-brainer to me.
    That would actually require some skill to execute. Cap has dominated every group he's been in (with maybe some quibbles about Namor). The JSA was always a community of equals. The interesting part would be how he fit among them

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    That would actually require some skill to execute. Cap has dominated every group he's been in (with maybe some quibbles about Namor). The JSA was always a community of equals. The interesting part would be how he fit among them
    Cap would get "Honorary" membership. Instead of being for a member with their own book, it's for those who tend to over-shadow the others.

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    This story is what I'd want to see...

2122.jpg
    Cool cover. I would read this story, which I am sure would be multi-issue.

Iirc the idea was Shulkie goes to DC whilst J'onn goes to Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    J’onn in the MU would fit in very well imo. He’s about as close to a Marvel character as you can find in The Big Seven.
    He’s not nearly as perfect as the other heroes, and he often has showings where his power is demonstrated not by effortlessly beating opponents, but by surviving against more powerful opponents.
    Imperfect heroes who take a beating are a Marvel staple.

A Marvel character to DC is harder (for me) to pick.

Any flying brick would be compared to Superman and so why bother.
    Street levelers? They tend to fade into the background at DC unless they’re part of the Bat Family (and sometimes even then).

Spider-man’s a character that isn’t redundant at DC, and seeing as New York isn’t the Mecca of DC’s super community, it would be interesting to see how that would play out, what kind of villains would gravitate towards him.

Black Panther might be fun to play with, as he can out Batman Batman in many respects, and he's well above street level in terms of scope. As part of the Ultimates we’ve seen him work on a cosmic level so that’s open to him. As King of Wakanda seeing him interact w. characters like Batwing, Vixen, Freedom Beast, and DC’s most famous fictional African inhabitants, Gorilla City, would be fun. That in turn could lead to teaming w. The Flash. We know BP and Namor hate each other’s guts, but what about Aquaman?

Assuming he can take the whole GLC with him, I think it'd be great to see Hal Jordan in the Marvel U, dealing with their cosmic entities - the Kree, Skrulls, Galactus, the Guardians, etc. and seeing Hal hang with the Avengers.

I'll buy a Dr Doom series where he takes on the DCU: heroes, baddies like Lex and Brainiac - all of it.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 01-23-2020 at 06:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Assuming he can take the whole GLC with him, I think it'd be great to see Hal Jordan in the Marvel U, dealing with their cosmic entities - the Kree, Skrulls, Galactus, the Guardians, etc. and seeing Hal hang with the Avengers.
    Hal as a lone gunslinger GL, a lawman from another reality (you have no authority here, outsider), would be pretty cool though!

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

The Fantastic Four would be more at home over at DC. We could see more adventure stories, less trying to force them into a superhero narrative.

Doctor Doom, Galactus, Silver Surfer, Superman's Pal Ben Grimm

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Martian Manhunter would've plugged a major gap at Marvel. They don't have many telepaths - just Moondragon, Jean Grey, and Rachel Summers back then, I think (Psylocke was exclusively telekinesis and Quentin Quire didn't exist yet). And as for shapeshifters, they're usually villains (primarily the Skrulls, and Mystique).

It would've been interesting to see She-Hulk meet Jade and Changeling. They have the green skin and hair in common, so I can imagine some laughs as they each make incorrect assumptions about each other's powers. Jade would think Jennifer must have some connection to Alan Scott, Garfield would think she must have a similar origin to his (half right - she did get her powers from a blood transfusion. But no green monkeys are involved!).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman