Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Gotta imagine Harley being in Justice group shots as like, any time the Entire Marvel Universe is all in one big giant two-page spread and Deadpool is doing something silly in the background. Or frankly, more like Howard the Duck being in some little background corner. Although there's a part of me that can apply some logic to it for the same reason why I always believed she was a perfect character for the Suicide Squad.

Harley is a premiere criminal psychologist, who went crazy + was made crazy/manipulated by one of the preeminent O.G. super-villains, and has worked with a LOT of them. She's an expert. You could put up with a lot of her weirdness to get access to that level of insider knowledge and expertise. And in a room full of those people there's probably not squat she could do to cause any real mischief. (Let's all ignore Heroes In Crisis having ever happened).

Oh what else.

Mongul has been a bit of a petulant baby since Johns started using him. Tomasi, Bunn, and even recently Morrison have furthered that train. But its okay. I like him being all about ego and warfare. It does distinguish him from Darkseid for sure. Not that they should be confused for one another ever. Darkseid is Cosmic Satan and Mongul is just a Space Warlord. But they're both big, stony, with evil eyes and Death Star-type planetoids. So certainly one can see the comparison. But I love Mongul. He's got the "tries to be clever but fails" angle. The Black Mercy. The War World. Gladiatorial combat arenas. The family drama! His dad? His son? His sister? His just ... embarrassing ... rivalry with Sinestro. The fact that he defeated the Trinity in their own house, only to be bested by ... Jason Todd. He's just that annoying Space Tyrant Wannabe that won't stay down. Persistent, obnoxious, dangerous, doomed to fail over and over again and never win. But he's so tenacious. God, he's almost like a Marvel villain.
    Last edited by K. Jones; 01-22-2020 at 02:53 PM.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

BANNED

Batman let Genocidal Lobo into the JLA.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Still need to read the book when I get home tonight, but I am not going to be silent about Harley being at the table for heroes. That bugs me a lot more than Ollie being apart from Dinah and in his hood again.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Yes, and here's my question: WHY IS HARLEY QUINN IN THE JUSTICE LEAGUE?!!!!!!!!

She was Joker's girlfriend/sidekick! She helped him kill people! Is this the Injustice universe now where we're overlooking mass murder just because a character is popular? "Yeah, but she's got a movie coming out, you guyzzzzz!""
    Harley constantly changes roles, her views on her past, her relationships with various characters, and overall conduct between issue and issue.

I wouldn't mind her being an anti-hero if they were actually consistent with her viewing her past with shame and regret.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Batman let Genocidal Lobo into the JLA.
    He did that to keep an eye on him, and specifically designed that home base to act as a prison should he ever act up.

She was Joker's girlfriend/sidekick! She helped him kill people! Is this the Injustice universe now where we're overlooking mass murder just because a character is popular? "Yeah, but she's got a movie coming out, you guyzzzzz!""
    Tagged along with Black Canary? They're about to be in the Birds of Prey together.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Fantastic Member

I wish I could say i'm surprised!!! Promoting Criminals is what their doing now!! Being a mass murder is something that should be glorify these days!! The more women and children a criminal kills the more press he or she get!! Everything is about darkness now!!

It's quite literally a promo for the Heroes One Shot. It's not supposed to represent the actual Justice League. The page probably said something like "draw a huge spread of DC's heroes" with some notes to set up the special, like Wonder Woman is annoyed etc. The Terrifics aren't in the League, Naomi isn't in the League. Even Green Arrow isn't technically in the League at this point.

After Action was *consistently* the superior book throughout its first year, they flip-flopped a few months back. Another solid issue.

Ultimate Member

How is Firestorm there? I thought he was in jail over the stuff from Doomsday Clock.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    How is Firestorm there? I thought he was in jail over the stuff from Doomsday Clock.
    We don’t know if this takes place before or after Doomsday Clock. Or, to be perfectly frank, if Doomsday Clock is going to affect the mainline canon at all. However DDC ends with Manhattan undoing everything he did so Firestorm should’ve never blown up and thus never been sent to jail in the first place.

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

I know most are bugged that Bendis doesn't seem to follow any continuity from other titles but I am perfectly fine with it. Because this means the Superman books will be good to read 10 years from now that everyone has moved on from the new52/rebirth/doomsday clock clusterfart.

Issue 19 was awesome. The United planets going through their first trials immediately is something Bendis shouldn't ignore.
    I mean people with opposite idiologies coming together and leaving their ego behind won't be easy. Time to build teamwork and trust.

Seriously how did Bendis gets Superman's voice so right? It's amazing that the guy who gets mocked about everyone sounding the same, has the best take on Superman in a while.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    Wonder Woman certainly looks pissed off. I'm suprised none of the other heroes seem to notice her looking so annoyed.
    Even I kind of put off by this. I mean you could have expected something like that from Batman and maybe the Flash, but never Wonder Woman who is often more optimistic of the trinty when it matters.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Even I kind of put off by this. I mean you could have expected something like that from Batman and maybe the Flash, but never Wonder Woman who is often more optimistic of the trinty when it matters.
    Yeah, and given her unique relationship with him, it just comes across as Bendis not getting her. He has Rucka's ear on the character, so his input may have lead to this, but in my opinion he doesn't always hit a home run on her either (Blackest Night WW was a big letdown). Overall it feels wrong and that Bruce should be the paranoid one arguing against it, but here we are.

And Harley doesn't deserve a place at that table.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Yeah, and given her unique relationship with him, it just comes across as Bendis not getting her. He has Rucka's ear on the character, so his input may have lead to this, but in my opinion he doesn't always hit a home run on her either (Blackest Night WW was a big letdown). Overall it feels wrong and that Bruce should be the paranoid one arguing against it, but here we are.

If Batman was the one with problems it would be pretty easy to dismiss as “Oh look Bruce is being a paranoid dick again”. But Diana pointing out issues with Clark’s choice could lead to more interesting conversations.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post

I think Bendis has already said Rucka is the one that is going to be handling the Wonder Woman portion of the story. Rucka is not infallible on Wonder Woman, but this is kind of in line with how he has written her playing off Superman in the past. There's always a difference in their viewpoints.