Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

The best issue so far.
    The first pages were kinda weird cause it seemed like a time-lapse occurred. But Apocalypse explained why he was resurrected so fast.
    Howard's writing improved a lot. Characters are not annoying and stupid anymore. Brian's drama was very appealing. And the end left a good hook.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Yup! Requires "containment both here and at the source".

•-[A]-• is saving the world.
    And serving Arakko-Volcanic-Levels of Heat and Sexxxyness while doing so.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

I was finally able to read this issue and it was just as bad as all the previous ones, this book is train-wreck. Honestly, I no longer care about the plot of this book, because it is so bad that I even trying to make sense of it seems like a complete waste of time, so I'll simply focus in my favorites characters and how Tini has mistreated them.

Betsy was advertised as the leader and star of the book but she just comes across like a stooge of Apocalypse. And it's not only that, it seems that the bad-ass warrior side of her remained in her Asian body and what was left here is just as an empty shell of her former self.

Jubilee is just Shogo's mom, nothing more nothing less, there's all there is to the character and to this point I don't even know why she is even in the book.

Saved the worst for last, man Rogue and Gambit are unbearable in this book, when a writer makes you hate your favorites characters, you know things are beyond bad.

First, I think it's too soon for them to have a baby, I don't want to see it happening so quickly and even less so under Tini's awful writing. So I for one, I'd be glad if it doesn't happen yet, I'm open to the idea in the future as long as it is well written (which let's face it won't happen with Howard in charge). But given Tini's fanfic style of writing I wouldn't rule the pregnancy out yet, she might be going for a surprise+drama situation.

That said and leaving all the speculation aside, the way she handled that conversation left me with the impression that Rogue is much closer to a stance of "I never want to have kids" than something along the lines of "not right now, I'm not ready, but in the future is possible" and I actually disliked that very much. It always seemed to me that starting a family is something both, as individuals characters, would want, seem quite out of character for Rogue to say that.

Talking about Rogue, she seems cold and uncaring towards Gambit, making it all the more jarring given that Gambit acts in the exact opposite way. That difference makes Gambit look completely emasculated and just pathetic.

Tini's Gambit is so bad that it's hard to believe that the editors allowed this to be printed, I mean this is not Gambit, I don't know who this guy is but it is not the Gambit that I know and love. Gambit has charm, confidence, charisma and a witty sense of humor but this guy has none of that. What's worst is that he doesn't have any personal agency, everything revolves around Rogue, even during the baby talk he doesn't even state his own opinion. Does he want a child or not? What are his desires besides his wife well being? Would the love for her wife be enough to stay with her even if he really wants to start a family and have kids? Come on Tini, give us at least some introspection! SOMETHING! ANYTHING!

I'll rate this issue a 2/10, exclusively because of To's beautiful art which is the only good thing in this book. I'm done with this book and I won't be reading this book anymore.

PS: For those in the Gambit and Rogue pro-divorce camp, if the baby ain't happening then this might be an easy way out in the future and it's pretty simple actually, Gambit wants to have kids at some point but Rogue is determined that she would never want that, then boom clean divorce and no one comes out of it looking like an awful person or a cheater or dead.

Quote Originally Posted by R0d View Post
    I was finally able to read this issue and it was just as bad as all the previous ones, this book is train-wreck. Honestly, I no longer care about the plot of this book, because it is so bad that I even trying to make sense of it seems like a complete waste of time, so I'll simply focus in my favorites characters and how Tini has mistreated them.

Betsy was advertised as the leader and star of the book but she just comes across like a stooge of Apocalypse. And it's not only that, it seems that the bad-ass warrior side of her remained in her Asian body and what was left here is just as an empty shell of her former self.

Jubilee is just Shogo's mom, nothing more nothing less, there's all there is to the character and to this point I don't even know why she is even in the book.

Saved the worst for last, man Rogue and Gambit are unbearable in this book, when a writer makes you hate your favorites characters, you know things are beyond bad.

First, I think it's too soon for them to have a baby, I don't want to see it happening so quickly and even less so under Tini's awful writing. So I for one, I'd be glad if it doesn't happen yet, I'm open to the idea in the future as long as it is well written (which let's face it won't happen with Howard in charge). But given Tini's fanfic style of writing I wouldn't rule the pregnancy out yet, she might be going for a surprise+drama situation.

That said and leaving all the speculation aside, the way she handled that conversation left me with the impression that Rogue is much closer to a stance of "I never want to have kids" than something along the lines of "not right now, I'm not ready, but in the future is possible" and I actually disliked that very much. It always seemed to me that starting a family is something both, as individuals characters, would want, seem quite out of character for Rogue to say that.

Talking about Rogue, she seems cold and uncaring towards Gambit, making it all the more jarring given that Gambit acts in the exact opposite way. That difference makes Gambit look completely emasculated and just pathetic.

Tini's Gambit is so bad that it's hard to believe that the editors allowed this to be printed, I mean this is not Gambit, I don't know who this guy is but it is not the Gambit that I know and love. Gambit has charm, confidence, charisma and a witty sense of humor but this guy has none of that. What's worst is that he doesn't have any personal agency, everything revolves around Rogue, even during the baby talk he doesn't even state his own opinion. Does he want a child or not? What are his desires besides his wife well being? Would the love for her wife be enough to stay with her even if he really wants to start a family and have kids? Come on Tini, give us at least some introspection! SOMETHING! ANYTHING!

I'll rate this issue a 2/10, exclusively because of To's beautiful art which is the only good thing in this book. I'm done with this book and I won't be reading this book anymore.

PS: For those in the Gambit and Rogue pro-divorce camp, if the baby ain't happening then this might be an easy way out in the future and it's pretty simple actually, Gambit wants to have kids at some point but Rogue is determined that she would never want that, then boom clean divorce and no one comes out of it looking like an awful person or a cheater or dead.
    Damn, R0d, you hit on a lot of points that rubbed me the wrong way about this issue. The parts about Betsy being a stooge and just... everything about Tini Howard's Gambit. I dread that issue where apparently Krakoa runs afoul of the U.K. We're just going to get more mealymouthed Betsy being dragged along by the real main character, aren't we?

Wait aren't those French twins from Eextermination, currently in New Mutants supposed to be Rogue and Gambits kids in/from the future? I thought that was confirmed?

Even still this furthers the question are they just forcing people to have kids on Krakoa?

Also I think a lot of y'all are overreacting all 6 issues have been solid. Nothing spectacular but not bad either IMO
    Last edited by Journey; 01-23-2020 at 05:38 PM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Oh for Goddess' sake!
    No one is forcing anyone to have sex...or have babies on Krakoa. That shyt-crazy conspiracy notion was already debunked.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

BANNED

betsy has been a badass warrior fightin 24 7 but i guess not, its gone.
    also for me it seems you guys dont want a baby in the present or ever since babies in comics suck, but hate the idea that in a future x-men comic a roguexgambit kid wont ever exists and that hurts your shipping fantasy, its like, a very contradictory logic in my opinion.
    Last edited by Ferro; 01-23-2020 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Oh for Goddess' sake!
    No one is forcing anyone to have sex...or have babies on Krakoa. That shyt-crazy conspiracy notion was already debunked.
    Calm your **** bruh I ain't mean it like they got broads trapped in basements injecting mutant essence in them or anything like that. I just meant is it kind of like expected as something you have to do at a certain time/age to remain on Krakoa.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Calm your **** bruh I ain't mean it like they got broads trapped in basements injecting mutant essence in them or anything like that. I just meant is it kind of like expected as something you have to do at a certain time/age to remain on Krakoa.
    Rogue was feeling pressure from her own personal emotions. There hasn't been anything said about any requirements on Krakoa. And I don't believe the twins have been confirmed to have been spawned from Rogue and Gambit at this time.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

So did they just retcon the fact that Brian's powers are not dependent on the Amulet/Sword? What was even the last time he needed the Amulet, the 70's? And what happened to Lionheart, isn't she the one in possession of the Sword? I'm so confused.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    So did they just retcon the fact that Brian's powers are not dependent on the Amulet/Sword? What was even the last time he needed the Amulet, the 70's? And what happened to Lionheart, isn't she the one in possession of the Sword? I'm so confused.
    cap brittain stuff is so messy i dont think even marvel knows the answer

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Jamie messed everything up. Boop!

I've never enjoyed Jamie so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Wait aren't those French twins from Eextermination, currently in New Mutants supposed to be Rogue and Gambits kids in/from the future? I thought that was confirmed?
    No, this was only a fan theory. The parents have never been identified in any official capacity.

And I actually like babies in comics just fine. Shogo was one of the things I've liked most in this book in fact. I laughed out loud when he ate Betsy's hair and loved him as a dragon. Kids are a wild card that can add fun and humor, especially when used in moderation.

But I do think Jubilee needs more characterization beyond just constantly uttering lines about her worry over Shogo. As a parent myself it really grates on my nerves to see a mother portrayed in such a one-dimensional manner like she has no other thoughts, feelings, interests, etc. And the same goes for Gambit having no characterization beyond worrying over Rogue. Jubes and Remy actually have a great repartee with each other in many previous books and I'm seeing none of that here. And neither Jubilee nor Gambit do anything creative with their powers throughout this arc.

Look this book isn't awful by any means. Of course it has positives and there's definitely good elements. I'm certain for some it is just exactly what they wanted and I'm genuinely glad that's the case.

But it also has some shortcomings, that at least for me are making it very difficult to enjoy despite trying very very hard to like it. Unfortunately my favorite characters are in this book, otherwise I wouldn't have stayed on this long because it's becoming rather masochistic to stay.
    Last edited by AppleJ; 01-23-2020 at 06:56 PM.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

I liked the issue but I agree Betsy, Rogue, Gambit, Jubilee and Rictor need to be way more observant with Apocalypse. I think his actions and that of Jamie this issue should be at least reported back to the Council, of course it seems charles aready knows so maybe they thought that wasn`t neccesary. Maybe this was the birth of X-Factor? Charles needs to make sure no more mutants abuse the system and all that.

I would like to know more about who this "white witch is" I think she may be Roma.

Poor Morgan if I didn`t know she scaped and is hanging out with her beau Doom I would be more worried about her, still that was pretty horrible, even for apocalypse.

I am dissapointed about Rogue not having a baby right know, I didn`t expect them to have one right away after all Scott and Jean never quite got the time to have a baby before both died, still the reasons she said seemed out of the left field, I think it`s possible she`s just still scared of her nighmare and will change her mind.

Also, Rogue`s fear seems like a commentary to the forum ppl who believe having a baby is mandatory on Krakoa when it isn`t being enforced at all, imo, it`s more like a play of words on the 5 mission to bring back all dead mutants, especially those who died on the X-men and on Genosha.That`s enough to bring back their numbres but it would also be nice to see some new babies being born on Krakoa, I personally would like Magneto to have more I know it`s wishful thinking but I can dream. Now that marvel took from him Wanda and Pietro, it would be nice to see Lorna as a big sister and I don`t think Anya can be brough back given she died before the plan with cerebro was even developed. Selene or Briar would be an interesting match for him imo.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 01-23-2020 at 07:44 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022