Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Yeeeah. Between Jamie and mad scientist Poccy, Otherworld is looking pretty screwed. Can't wait for the shoe to drop on that one.
    That seems to be a thing going around huh? Apocalypse is doing bad **** behind everyone's backs, Shaw is doing bad things behind everyone's backs and I am just waiting for when Mystique gets her turn after she finds out she's been lied to about bringing back Destiny, oh boy is that one going to be so much fun!

But I have to ask, does anyone else feel bad for Le Fay and what she is about to go through or is it just me? I mean I know she is a villain and all but at the same time being tortured and experimented on by him of all people seems too cruel even for her.

Also can't help but find it weird that Rogue doesn't want a child, I mean given her history, how long it took her to touch again and get hitched you would think that the thought of children would not be such a problem or maybe I am not seeing this right?

I do like the design of Brian's suit though.

BANNED

it was a pretty common for Rogue to wish for a familial life cause her powers stoped her from such, but quite honestly its pretty belivable then when in control and with the fear you might have to do it anyways, that she could go trough a change of opinion, but tini didnt portray it as rogue changing her mind but as if she always felt that way, wich is a mistake and reveals a bit of unexperience and lack of knowledge in rogue by the writers part.
    Or just make it about her being open to adoption but not biological children.
    and even then it didnt read to me like an ultimatum but her current headspace concerning the law and that nightmare.
    Last edited by Ferro; 01-23-2020 at 07:54 PM.

I really enjoyed this issue a lot. specially for what it sets up for the future of the book. Apocalypse is creepy as hell. I adore it. Betsy and Brian with the sword and amulet could be fun too.

But the highlight was indeed the hot tub scene. Thats was very sexy. And well written. They felt like a real modern couple. Loved it. I wish we get another artist eventually. Less childish. I would love for Betsy too look sexier. And more chic. Like in my avatar.
    A picture would last longer darling...

Quote Originally Posted by R0d View Post
    I was finally able to read this issue and it was just as bad as all the previous ones, this book is train-wreck. Honestly, I no longer care about the plot of this book, because it is so bad that I even trying to make sense of it seems like a complete waste of time, so I'll simply focus in my favorites characters and how Tini has mistreated them.

Betsy was advertised as the leader and star of the book but she just comes across like a stooge of Apocalypse. And it's not only that, it seems that the bad-ass warrior side of her remained in her Asian body and what was left here is just as an empty shell of her former self.

Jubilee is just Shogo's mom, nothing more nothing less, there's all there is to the character and to this point I don't even know why she is even in the book.

Saved the worst for last, man Rogue and Gambit are unbearable in this book, when a writer makes you hate your favorites characters, you know things are beyond bad.

First, I think it's too soon for them to have a baby, I don't want to see it happening so quickly and even less so under Tini's awful writing. So I for one, I'd be glad if it doesn't happen yet, I'm open to the idea in the future as long as it is well written (which let's face it won't happen with Howard in charge). But given Tini's fanfic style of writing I wouldn't rule the pregnancy out yet, she might be going for a surprise+drama situation.

That said and leaving all the speculation aside, the way she handled that conversation left me with the impression that Rogue is much closer to a stance of "I never want to have kids" than something along the lines of "not right now, I'm not ready, but in the future is possible" and I actually disliked that very much. It always seemed to me that starting a family is something both, as individuals characters, would want, seem quite out of character for Rogue to say that.

Talking about Rogue, she seems cold and uncaring towards Gambit, making it all the more jarring given that Gambit acts in the exact opposite way. That difference makes Gambit look completely emasculated and just pathetic.

Tini's Gambit is so bad that it's hard to believe that the editors allowed this to be printed, I mean this is not Gambit, I don't know who this guy is but it is not the Gambit that I know and love. Gambit has charm, confidence, charisma and a witty sense of humor but this guy has none of that. What's worst is that he doesn't have any personal agency, everything revolves around Rogue, even during the baby talk he doesn't even state his own opinion. Does he want a child or not? What are his desires besides his wife well being? Would the love for her wife be enough to stay with her even if he really wants to start a family and have kids? Come on Tini, give us at least some introspection! SOMETHING! ANYTHING!

I'll rate this issue a 2/10, exclusively because of To's beautiful art which is the only good thing in this book. I'm done with this book and I won't be reading this book anymore.

PS: For those in the Gambit and Rogue pro-divorce camp, if the baby ain't happening then this might be an easy way out in the future and it's pretty simple actually, Gambit wants to have kids at some point but Rogue is determined that she would never want that, then boom clean divorce and no one comes out of it looking like an awful person or a cheater or dead.
    Read this just now.

This is a Appocalypse book, he planned everything and things went all like he planned. Heroes got played easily and doesn't seem to have aplan to stop him.
    This should have been Betsy story, but it feels very on the side

Felt bad for Brian, while his slave trader brother is a king he is depressed and disgraced.

Remy and Rogue badlly written.

Thos book is very dissapointing. Very readable because of art

Its not that they don't have a plan to stop Apocalypse, its that they don't even seem to care or even be aware of what he's doing and what he's done. That's what bugs me the most.

Morgan got the worst of everything. She's supposed to be a badass sorceress, but she did almost nothing and got taken out like a chump. I'm not sure why she even target Brian in the first place. Basically, Apocalypse instigated an invasion of the Otherworld, and got Excalibur to help him exploit and steal their natural resources, take out their ruler and put a slave trading puppet king in charge. Narratively, if Morgan hadn't abducted Brian, she would be the hero in this confrontation. Everything else was on Apocalypse. Now she's been deposed and vivisected.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Its not that they don't have a plan to stop Apocalypse, its that they don't even seem to care or even be aware of what he's doing and what he's done. That's what bugs me the most.

Morgan got the worst of everything. She's supposed to be a badass sorceress, but she did almost nothing and got taken out like a chump. I'm not sure why she even target Brian in the first place. Basically, Apocalypse instigated an invasion of the Otherworld, and got Excalibur to help him exploit and steal their natural resources, take out their ruler and put a slave trading puppet king in charge. Narratively, if Morgan hadn't abducted Brian, she would be the hero in this confrontation. Everything else was on Apocalypse. Now she's been deposed and vivisected.
    Heroes really aren't bothering or want to be aware of the dangers with Apocalypse and Jamie plans

it should raise all the suspicion.

I don't get what was her plan with Brian, it all seems like a contrived plan to force betsy to fight Morgan and get the CB mantle, but Morgan isn't the biggest villain on this story.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    That seems to be a thing going around huh? Apocalypse is doing bad **** behind everyone's backs, Shaw is doing bad things behind everyone's backs and I am just waiting for when Mystique gets her turn after she finds out she's been lied to about bringing back Destiny, oh boy is that one going to be so much fun!

But I have to ask, does anyone else feel bad for Le Fay and what she is about to go through or is it just me? I mean I know she is a villain and all but at the same time being tortured and experimented on by him of all people seems too cruel even for her.

Also can't help but find it weird that Rogue doesn't want a child, I mean given her history, how long it took her to touch again and get hitched you would think that the thought of children would not be such a problem or maybe I am not seeing this right?

I do like the design of Brian's suit though.
    And you're forgetting about Sinister doing God knows what behind everybody's back, so far the whole being back in a British body again thing hasn't really worked out for Betsy, hasn't really helped her standing in the X-world at all, seemingly purely a pc move...

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    And you're forgetting about Sinister doing God knows what behind everybody's back, so far the whole being back in a British body again thing hasn't really worked out for Betsy, hasn't really helped her standing in the X-world at all, seemingly purely a pc move...
    I think it does fans just need to make up their minds because her character and marvel were criticized for years because she didn`t do much to help kwannon despite knowing what Matsuo and Spiral did to her was a complete abuse of both their minds and bodies. It wasn`t really Betsy`s fault either but some fans saw it that way.

Now imo I think she`s more like the original Claremont betsy, she is free and has the potential to explore her roots and her relationship with her family which she`s doing right her with her brothers, her niece and her sister in law. I think this was just act 1 and given Apocalypse is both a member of Excalibur but also it`s antagonist there`still way more story to tell about them and about Betsy as Captain Britain and Otherworld. I can bet Merlin and Roma will not let the matter of Apocalypse and Jaime be, hence we have the "white Witch" who was there to combat Morgan Le Fay and probably will be there to deal with Mad Jaime and Apocalypse but they have their own rules to act on it imo. So we will see where this story goes.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 01-23-2020 at 08:54 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

This series is frustrating. I don't know if its the too-pretty artwork or the odd rushed writing, but everything is just so ... vague. Unformed. Bland.

I still don't really understand A's plan. Betsy is not much of a leader. Jubilee is a terrible mother - does Karoka have CPS? Because somebody needs to take that poor baby away from her.

Weepy Brian is so out-of -character. He finally gets rescued, gets a kick-ass new costume, but is such a mess that he immediately tells his sister to lock it away so he can't use it. What a let down. And where was his reunion with Megan and his daughter? I guess a happy moment like that would not have fit with this mopey version of Brian.

And I'm so tired of Rogue and Gambit. I loved them in Mr and Mrs X, but good lord are they dull here.

Was Rictor even in this issue? He's just wallpaper now. If he and A are fucking then get on with it already. That would be a bold and fascinating development for both characters - which means it's unlikely to ever happen in this book.

The best part of this series is King Jamie in his fierce toga and crown combo. He's fun and outrageous. More of him please.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    I'd rather Betsy be a Captain Britain without the UK/Great Britain/England colors. (IDK what is the correct one. Dumb American)

Put her back in something that makes her sexy and bad ass.

And goes with her hair.
    Regarding the colours, The first two would be right, but England is just red and white, no blue. The country's official name is The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    UK. Great Britain is the largest of the British Isles, but the union also includes Northern Ireland.
    Yeah, that's the difference between the United Kingdom and Great Britain. But the flag applies to both - notably with the Great Britain "Team GB" team at the Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    England // flag of St. George // red & white cross
    Scotland // flag of St. Andrew // blue & white X
    Ireland(Northern Ireland) // flag of St. Patrick // red & white X

BONUS
    Wales // white & green with a red dragon!

The Union Jack is a gorgeous design feat. Who knows what'll happen with Brexit and the potential of Scexit and unified Ireland.
    If Scotland leaves the UK, the Union Jack would be binned and we'd just use the St George cross, England's flag. The St Patrick cross has been anachronistic for some time, since the Republic of Ireland's independence nearly a century ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    Babies in superhero books, where characters generally don't ever age, are terrible. I don't know why anyone would want Rogue to be saddled with one, it would most likely just result in her being sidelined.
    Jubilee and Spider-Woman prove otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Wait aren't those French twins from Eextermination, currently in New Mutants supposed to be Rogue and Gambits kids in/from the future? I thought that was confirmed?
    Just a fan theory, based on their French accents.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    So did they just retcon the fact that Brian's powers are not dependent on the Amulet/Sword? What was even the last time he needed the Amulet, the 70's? And what happened to Lionheart, isn't she the one in possession of the Sword? I'm so confused.
    Good point, what did happen to Kelsey Leigh? She hasn't appeared for years.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    I think it does fans just need to make up their minds because her character and marvel were criticized for years because she didn`t do much to help kwannon despite knowing what Matsuo and Spiral did to her was a complete abuse of both their minds and bodies. It wasn`t really Betsy`s fault either but some fans saw it that way.

Now imo I think she`s more like the original Claremont betsy, she is free and has the potential to explore her roots and her relationship with her family which she`s doing right her with her brothers, her niece and her sister in law. I think this was just act 1 and given Apocalypse is both a member of Excalibur but also it`s antagonist there`still way more story to tell about them and about Betsy as Captain Britain and Otherworld. I can bet Merlin and Roma will not let the matter of Apocalypse and Jaime be, hence we have the "white Witch" who was there to combat Morgan Le Fay and probably will be there to deal with Mad Jaime and Apocalypse but they have their own rules to act on it imo. So we will see where this story goes.
    Well technically Kwannon was dead for years then they brought her back, after the Legacy Virus killed her and all in the Revanche body, and the body that Kwannon is now in is no part her original body anyway, it's a body that Jamie Braddock made for Betsy, and I never really had a problem with her being in the Asian body, greatly because it had not been her choice, so she had not been trying to pretend to be anything and the books did take note of her being British in an Asian body, it made her visually unique, now she's pretty average, hot but not that different than most of the others, you could easily pick her out of a crowd of characters, not so much anymore...

As for exploring her roots, the second that this book is over that could all be just pushed aside and ignored very easily, and we'll see how deep the introspection actually goes if it goes anywhere at all, after all it's a writers job to sell the book, making promises and such that they don't always deliver on no matter how good intentioned they are about it...

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    it was a pretty common for Rogue to wish for a familial life cause her powers stoped her from such, but quite honestly its pretty belivable then when in control and with the fear you might have to do it anyways, that she could go trough a change of opinion, but tini didnt portray it as rogue changing her mind but as if she always felt that way, wich is a mistake and reveals a bit of unexperience and lack of knowledge in rogue by the writers part.
    Or just make it about her being open to adoption but not biological children.
    and even then it didnt read to me like an ultimatum but her current headspace concerning the law and that nightmare.
    I have a real life example....me and my girlfriend...

She has a med condition that she was told as a teen that she would most likely never have kids. That changed (both her health and med advances) a few years ago but at the time she was single... on our first date she brought up tht someday she wanted kids...now as we get older she often gets scared and back paddles..."i dont know if i can be a mom"

The more real the idea the harder the thought...she REALLY wanted a child when she couldnt have one...but when the reality that we physically could, that turned to worrying about our maturity (i say talking on a comic board) and finances...
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartofTheStoriesWeTell View Post
    I have a real life example....me and my girlfriend...

She has a med condition that she was told as a teen that she would most likely never have kids. That changed (both her health and med advances) a few years ago but at the time she was single... on our first date she brought up tht someday she wanted kids...now as we get older she often gets scared and back paddles..."i dont know if i can be a mom"

The more real the idea the harder the thought...she REALLY wanted a child when she couldnt have one...but when the reality that we physically could, that turned to worrying about our maturity (i say talking on a comic board) and finances...
    In general I think that most don't dislike it because it's impossible. More because it's highly improbable. It doesn't match with earlier appearences. Even if it was as exactly as your GF experienced it it still comes out of left field for us readers because it hasn't been hinted before, quite the opposite. I'm in the corner that it's there for cheap angst when we find out she is pregnant.
    Last edited by Malachi; 01-24-2020 at 11:26 AM.

So... I’m rereading this and it LOOKS like the twins exchange artifacts.

Betsy hands Brian the Amulet he lent her, and he entrusts her to “hide & protect” the sword from him.

I have no idea what this means, except that it probably should’ve been more of a panel than the one To drew.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    So... I’m rereading this and it LOOKS like the twins exchange artifacts.

Betsy hands Brian the Amulet he lent her, and he entrusts her to “hide & protect” the sword from him.

I have no idea what this means, except that it probably should’ve been more of a panel than the one To drew.
    If the thing about rage and the sword is true, I guess Betsy is going to go back to her addicted to murder/violence days. Which I liked.