Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Is Rogue not wanting kids a generational thing?

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    I'd rather Betsy be a Captain Britain without the UK/Great Britain/England colors. (IDK what is the correct one. Dumb American)
    UK. Great Britain is the largest of the British Isles, but the union also includes Northern Ireland.

So much fun! Figures [King] Jamie was involved this whole time. I howled at his scenes with Betsy and Brian. This issue was a blast and now I'm digging into •-[A]-•'s texts. Remember, Otherworld is connected to Arakko so it's very important to him that they have control. If what he has said in the past is true, he means to save his children the horsemen and Krakoa as a whole.

- Rogue is not forced to have a baby. Yay! I don't mind more scenes of her and Remy naked in the hot tub.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Reads like bad fanfic. Not even worth saying more.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

I'd rather Betsy be a Captain Britain without the UK/Great Britain/England colors. (IDK what is the correct one. Dumb American)
    England // flag of St. George // red & white cross
    Scotland // flag of St. Andrew // blue & white X
    Ireland(Northern Ireland) // flag of St. Patrick // red & white X

BONUS
    Wales // white & green with a red dragon!

The Union Jack is a gorgeous design feat. Who knows what'll happen with Brexit and the potential of Scexit and unified Ireland.

All that said, "Britain" is relative and incredibly local given the grander nature of Otherworld/Avalon/CB Corps/etc. There's nothing that says the Captain needs to wear their colors aside from the privileges that being a national symbolic hero affords.

ANNNNND purple hair is difficult to work with. It's such a statement that you end up defaulting to black or white. Kwannon's hair and costume were usually so dark and monochromatic that it didn't matter.

Boop!

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Well, it took a while, but I finally got an issue I enjoyed. Although, the data page was misplaced and did kind of spoil the twist. Tini's Gambit still needs some work, and I would like some more from Jubilee that isn't about Shogo. It sounds to me like [A] is trying to harness the magic of Otherworld to create "mutant magic", most likely for reasons related to Arrako and the First Horsemen. Exodus will probably be showing up at some point. [A] says there are only three in his coven?

Probably Jamie, Rictor and Rogue.

Have you guys seen Jerome Openas art in Seven to Eternity?

I would kill to have him on Excalibur. It would probably make me pick it up again.

He's so damn good.

Jamie is gross. He needs manscaping desperately if he insists on lounging around in his underwear.

Put her back in something that makes her sexy and bad ass.

And goes with her hair.
    Navy blue, white and a tad of magenta could be nice.
    A picture would last longer darling...

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Ok, I've given it 6 issues now and overall this story arc and this book in general has been wholly unsatisfying and anticlimactic to me.

My rehash from what I said on the Rogue/Gambit thread:

I'm seriously at a loss with this book. You couldn't have tried much harder to alienate Gambit fans. There is absolutely no Blue Team synergy. Rogue and Gambit feel unbalanced and out of character half the time. I didn't find it fun or funny overall save a cute moment here or a neat idea there (firepupRachel, dragon Shogo) and a few sexy panels. It's not hitting me emotionally even when it tries, the plot has seemed almost pointless and yet the characters still seem to serve the plot moreso than the story serving them. It felt like sitting in a room watching other people playing DnD where the characters are just a basic outline, no one can act, and not much actually gets accomplished. There were no amazing fight scenes. At the end of this they still don't feel like any kind of cohesive team. The art has been gorgeous throughout but it's not enough to save the book for me. I still don't know what mutant magic is.

For starters, everyone is calling out their battle plans - big pet peeve. But it doesn't even matter because before the battle even really gets going A shows up, already resurrected. Well gee, that was fast. Rogue's "killing" him has no real consequences here, emotional or otherwise, and he's not even taken off the board for a hot minute! All it served was as a way to open the portal. They just let A step in and make an agreement with Morgan for a duel between Bets and Brian to the death, winner take the crown. And suddenly Rogue's all "A was right, the flower casket was a good thing for me, go ahead with the duel Bets". Ok????? Wtf? Granted Rogue is still in her A face here, so whatever. The duel goes sideways anyway because Bets won't kill Brian & he dies/gets resurrected anyway as Jaime shows up to defeat them both and take the crown as he was plotting with A all along. Really, what was the point?! Then everyone just f@&%'s off to let A and Jaime take over Otherworld & do whatever they like with Morgan … which turns out to be dissection?! Great job heroes. (facepalm)

The rest of the Bets & Brian drama didn't really do much for me so I won't even go into it, but moving on ...

Skipping right to the steamy hot tub scene. It is visually beautiful. Sexy, sweet, just the great character moment this book needs and finally a chance for our married couple to seriously reconnect after everything … and it's basically just Rogue telling Gambit she doesn't want a baby. It was good to indirectly confirm here that it's something she can't do without extraordinary means … that tracks. What doesn't quite track is her telling Remy that not only is she not emotionally ready for a child now, but may NEVER be. (Is this the same Rogue who nearly gave up her powers because she wanted that possibility and Mystique had to stop her? The same Rogue who once asked Gambit about wanting a family as the world was ending?! The same Rogue who said she wanted "it all" and "maybe" in MMX?) Granted characters change, but it really doesn't feel like Rogue to me. Maybe more like what the writer wants her to want? I don't even know. I can totally buy her being afraid after the dream and not being ready right now and not wanting to feel pressured by this Krakoan "law", but this seems more like she flat out never wants kids at all, period. Again, a totally valid choice that deserves representation in comics. But I don't think it tracks with her previous continuity. And choosing kids is an equally valid choice that also deserves representation. Gambit for his part is nothing but supportive and good as gold - your body, your decision. And I think we can probably imply from Rogue's reticence in this scene and her coolness from issue #1 that she was probably afraid to tell him all this. Ok, I can buy all that. But Tini's not writing Rogue as a very good partner as she doesn't even ask Remy how he feels about it. Luckily he immediately volunteers right up that it doesn't matter to him, … but is that actually true? Again, it doesn't really track with past discussions they've had. Guess we'll see.

But basically all the anticipation and foreshadowing thus far has amounted to absolutely nothing. Huge letdown.

There does seem to be some possible hint/implication that Rogue's dream could be prophetic in some way, especially with all that other foreshadowing to contend with. Basically this was all done either to yank our collective chains or because it may still happen. Rogue and Gambit get busy following this conversation now that her magical encounter has cured her power control issue … again. Interesting, right? But now if she does get pregnant, even on accident due to some kind of magical intervention, it suddenly feels like a tragedy in the making instead of something miraculous or joyful because she doesn't even want it. And that kind of sucks.

The hot tub scene could have (and should have) been wonderful otherwise. It was at least very sexy and emotional.

Jubilee and Rictor seemed like wallpaper in this issue, and really Jubes was basically wallpaper for the whole story. What was her character arc, exactly? Rictor at least got a few good issues with a decent arc.

I'm so frustrated. I'm probably just going to drop it for a while.
    I SO AGREE WITH YOU ON EVERYTHING YOU ARE SAYING. Will add more comments later (if I can’t fight through the disappointment with the book), but just had to chime in.
    Agreed – Biggest complaint in the moment is Rogue not wanting kids ever. Sure, I can believe Rogue not being ready yet for kids and likely to rebel from leadership encouraging them to produce offspring under law, as well as being poked and prodded by scientists. But Rogue not wanting kids…EVER…is very uncharacteristic. Feels like a slap in the face if you’ve been following her story for years. AppleJ, you’ve referenced these examples, but I thought I’d capture them:

• Early years – Rogue indirectly admits to wanting a family…
    http://www.angelfire.com/poetry/voic...mbit_Truth.jpg
    • I couldn’t find the online image, but Rogue explains to Mystique why she seeks mutant power cure from Dr. Aubrey Agee - she was even willing to be poked and prodded - “Ah don’t hate what Ah am, Ah hate what’s being kept from me. Ah want these hands to be able to hold a lover in them without the fear that Ah’ll consume him! And what about holdin’ a child in mah arms some day? How can either of those things happen as long as Ah’m some freak of nature?”
    • Rogue tells Remy she is ready for everything and she wants it ALL!
    https://bit.ly/30HPlz4
    • Rogue tells Remy that kids is a possibility – some day.
    https://comic-watch.com/wp-content/u...KS-KELLY-2.jpg
    Last edited by LegoLiz; 01-22-2020 at 12:58 PM.

It's quite interesting how some people were very against Rogue having a baby when that speculation was going around, but we clearly also have people against Rogue NOT having a baby. The answer? Remy will have it.

I'm going to trade next storyline in hopes it's better at half the cost. I don't want to give up on it completely as it has 3 of my favorite X-Men in it, and my second favorite X-(ex?) Villain. The cast is the main draw for me. But if round two is as much of an uninteresting story it won't be enough.

That said, that last scene was the most interesting.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Babies in superhero books, where characters generally don't ever age, are terrible. I don't know why anyone would want Rogue to be saddled with one, it would most likely just result in her being sidelined.