Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Like Mystique.

Or hell... ROGUE. One of her moms is in the queue, and Xavier's dragging his heels like he always does with her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    Counting down the days. The mad bitch is going to be utterly magnificent when she blows her top!
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal Sphere View Post
    I want Mystique to show up with a massive list of all the people that have been resurrected, which ones have been resurrected multiple times. Like some sort of blue, evil Santa Claus.
    You just know that every single Quiet Council meeting ends with Mystique turning to Xavier and saying "That's nice. Now when are you bringing back Destiny?" with increasing acidic stares and tone. She probably already has napalm bombs or something all over Krakoa in case they try to screw her on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Not according to the Queen. Not yet anyway.
    If she found out that Betsy is helping and working for/with the guy responsible for the giant monster invasion in the first place, her attitude might change. And I don't know how much of the going ons of the otherworld the British government is privy too.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Marcus To continues to draw a very pretty come, but Excalibur coming out the same week as Once & Future really highlights how little I care for Howard's plot. I at least get what Gillen, and Mora are going for with their Arthurian mythology.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Wait Gillen is doing Arthurian mythology stories??? See now I really wish we had him on Excalibur.

Has CLASSICAL Captain Britain ever been thematically Arthurian? I mean, the visuals and tropes abound because it's Britain, but things like the grail cycle and Avalon weren't in any of the Claremont/Davis/Davis books I bought. Everyone seemed to take a lot of liberties and run through Henson's creature shop.

Like, THIS Otherworld feels nothing like the Otherworld I'm familiar with.

Not that I'm terribly opposed to a bridge. I mean, Alan Davis' Cap Brit and Excalibur basically ignored the Amulet/Sword dichotomy in favor of a cybernetic supersuit and parallel Earth Green Lantern Corps. This weird reverence for Merlyn as a righteous figure is so weird for me to read. It was ALWAYS a chessgame for Merlyn, and the Braddocks were his rooks.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 01-22-2020 at 05:35 PM.

Mighty Member

I'm still not sure how to feel about this book. I've never read Excalibur before so I like that, but it's still kind pointless.

I love Apocalypse, and Rictor. Betsy has been unimpressive so far and the British thing does annoy me since Brits in general annoy me.

Gambit and Jubilee and Rogue alll seem badly written though.

Never read Morgan stories ether but she was so underwhelming.

I guess Apocalypse is main reasonI'm kind of interested. Also, why are Magik and Pixie totally out of this book?

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Was there ever an explanation for how Rogue lost control of her powers again? At the end of MMX her powers were finally conquered and she got a nice upgrade where she didn't have to touch. That was carried over into a few issues of Captain Marvel and then all of a sudden this launches and she has no control over her power again and no mention of what happened.
    So Rogue's distance absorption ability has disappeared completely and this has not been explained. We have no idea how much time has passed since UXM/MMX/AoXM ended and HoX/PoX began. We have just gotten a general "something about Krakoa" has been messing with Rogue and Rictor's powers to make them lose control. Will this ever be addressed? Who knows. In this issue Rogue has regained control, apparently because of whatever Apocalypse did via the flower coffin trick & her magical encounter - it's really not clear. And she more or less tells Betsy this while encouraging her to follow Apocalypse's plan. Ric and Rogue are drinking the blue Kool-Aid.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    So Rogue's distance absorption ability has disappeared completely and this has not been explained. We have no idea how much time has passed since UXM/MMX/AoXM ended and HoX/PoX began. We have just gotten a general "something about Krakoa" has been messing with Rogue and Rictor's powers to make them lose control. Will this ever be addressed? Who knows. In this issue Rogue has regained control, apparently because of whatever Apocalypse did via the flower coffin trick & her magical encounter - it's really not clear. And she more or less tells Betsy this while encouraging her to follow Apocalypse's plan. Ric and Rogue are drinking the blue Kool-Aid.
    My guess Poccy had something to do with Rogue and Rictor power problems.

Rictor problems were manifested out of krakoa

I love how Jamie took his Revenge to Betsy. She had him killed using Brian in UXF and now Jamie used Betsy to killed Brian.
    The Braddock seems to be one of the most twisted families indeed.

I enjoyed this issue. But it has its weaknesses, mainly good characterization/voice from some of the characters.
    Also aside from the costume, Betsy's Cap Britain isn't doing anything for me compared to Betsy's Psylocke. I missed Betsy's being creative with her power

I do like the dynamics of [A] and King Jamie.
    I'm gonna continue reading the 2nd arc for sure.

With [A], literally, digging into Morgan and us still being left in the dark about what mutant magic is, I guess we’re to assume that he’s trying to unlock it? I still think about this Data Page from X-Men #2

And wonder if these summoners are also linked to it all.
    Last edited by Psycwave; 01-22-2020 at 09:47 PM.

This Book seems to be the most disjointed and detached from the rest, and not in the best of ways. Sometimes it is good to be set apart, but the writing here is so underwhelming that there is almost no point in reading this narrative as it effects nothing else. I am glad for Rictor. I am sad for almost every other character.

I like this cast but the plot and writing is too terrible to keep me buying. The art has been consistently gorgeous, but that doesn't make up for the narrative. Hopefully this gets better and i can pick it up again, or better yet, hopefully Rogue, Gambit, Jubes, and Betsy find other homes.

Can someone explain how this book is “detached” from the rest? It clearly has connective tissue with the inclusions of Xavier, the Five, the importance of Omega level mutants, •—[A]—•’s plans, and Kate’s new role in Krakoa. That clearly belongs to Gallen Angels if any title would get that label.

Ultimate Member

Possibly because this book doesn't seem to have much to do with mutants but magic, which was kind of an outlier in the mutant world in years past and that there doesn't really seem to be a reason for this team or the roster that it has...or something along those lines...

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    With [A], literally, digging into Morgan and is still being left in the dark about what mutant magic is, I guess we’re to assume that he’s trying to unlock it? I still think about this Data Page from X-Men #2

And wonder if these summoners are also linked to it all.
    •-[A]-• said that lying is beneath him and he also said he would protect his children of Arakko and Krakoa. I feel like he put Jamie, an Omega, in rule of Otherworld to build. •-[A]-• is building something. It's been stated that Arakko and Otherworld are connected.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Can someone explain how this book is “detached” from the rest? It clearly has connective tissue with the inclusions of Xavier, the Five, the importance of Omega level mutants, •—[A]—•’s plans, and Kate’s new role in Krakoa. That clearly belongs to Gallen Angels if any title would get that label.
    It doesn't feel detached so much as alien. We're used to the tones and types of stories being presented in all the other X-books. Subterfuge, political intrigue, and adventure. Even FA had a very intimate Wolverine solo feel. Excalibur seemed to take similar notions, and insist upon telling a fantasy story while being anchored to overwrought and tropey mutant pathos. With regard to the fantasy elements, they were present but the story never felt like a fantasy adventure. With regard to mutant pathos, every relationship was touched but none were tested. I don't think TH's imagining of Otherworld was successful, nor her vision of the Captain Britain mythology. None of the characters grew or changed. Betsy, whose narrative should have been the focus and first one to put to paper, meandered and reacted through six issues.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Possibly because this book doesn't seem to have much to do with mutants but magic, which was kind of an outlier in the mutant world in years past and that there doesn't really seem to be a reason for this team or the roster that it has...or something along those lines...
    This was one of the few post-HOXPOX books to actually address Krakoan culture in an effective way. From mutant names to clothing technology to mutants shedding their human clothes to Krakoan subreddit thing. All in all, these are small parts of a giant story but it adds so much to the atmosphere of Krakoa.