Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Default Batman 87 Discussion

The second issue of Tynion’s run is out today, thoughts?

Loved how the momentum kept increasing the issue and Riddler looked genuinely horrifying in one scene!

Yeah why was he deformed like that, he's almost got a shape of a question.

So I wonder why Cheshire, Slade and the rest are after Batman.
    Ooh and the conversation between Batman and Catwoman was actually good, still infinitely better than:

Batman: "Cat"
    Catwoman: "Bat"
    x10

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    Yeah why was he deformed like that, he's almost got a shape of a question.

So I wonder why Cheshire, Slade and the rest are after Batman.
    Ooh and the conversation between Batman and Catwoman was actually good, still infinitely better than:

Batman: "Cat"
    Catwoman: "Bat"
    x10
    Artistic license. Guillem March often stretches anatomy a bit for effect. Sometimes you get really kinetic, dynamic posing and flow and panel layout and action out of it, sometimes it's just weird, but I don't think it's as representational as "Riddler is all mutated now" or anything dumb like that. More of a Kelley Jones-type thing. I'd say March is possibly a sort of an heir apparent to that kind of Kelley Jones style. With a different inker it'd be even more obvious.

I'm not sure where this run is going. I like the dialogue and interactions. I think maybe the espionagey nature of five costumed assassins, a new police lock-up for extra-threats, and some shell games, might maybe call for a less capey/extreme artistic depiction and call for a more grounded art style, but that's the only criticism I can really level at it and I often just feel that way about Batman comics in general.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Artistic license. Guillem March often stretches anatomy a bit for effect. Sometimes you get really kinetic, dynamic posing and flow and panel layout and action out of it, sometimes it's just weird, but I don't think it's as representational as "Riddler is all mutated now" or anything dumb like that. More of a Kelley Jones-type thing. I'd say March is possibly a sort of an heir apparent to that kind of Kelley Jones style. With a different inker it'd be even more obvious.

I'm not sure where this run is going. I like the dialogue and interactions. I think maybe the espionagey nature of five costumed assassins, a new police lock-up for extra-threats, and some shell games, might maybe call for a less capey/extreme artistic depiction and call for a more grounded art style, but that's the only criticism I can really level at it and I often just feel that way about Batman comics in general.
    Ooh damn, really? lol, I thought something happened to Riddler and it would be unfold in the next couple of issues.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    Ooh damn, really? lol, I thought something happened to Riddler and it would be unfold in the next couple of issues.
    He did at least say that he's all jacked up on amphetamines!
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Incredible Member

I thought it was both busy and boring, the writing and the art.

Not a fan, generally, of Big Tech Batman or Giant Corporate Giant Wayne and I'm not so invested in Penguin and Riddler as I am baffled by their sudden turn toward the grotesque. It's weird that Wayne builds super-prisons, and also how ineffectual they are... I guess I understand you have to show Deathstroke escaping from a super prison, but it doesn't seem like those have to be built by Wayne.

I like Lucius being in the story but don't like the way he's being used so far... also seems really short-sighted by Bruce. Shouldn't at least one of the heads of Wayne Enterprises be getting a full night's sleep, given how many separate fields and industries they are dominating? I'm curious to see more Lucius / Bruce outside of the 3am exposition dump calls. And given how much Tynion likes the Robins, are there no other Bat-allies who could be Bruce's guy in the chair? Duke, Tim, Babs, Damian...? Everyone's busy in their team books? Nobody's willing to step up to help Bruce recover from the loss of Alfred besides Selina?

Aside from Catwoman's presence and Alfred's absence, this seems like a completely different universe rather than one shared by the previous run. I guess that'd be appealing to people who didn't enjoy King's run.

Censorship Sucks

I enjoy the new direction. I love the art, which reminds me of Kelley Jones, my favorite artist. The story is refreshing as we get to see Batman functioning as an adult again. I also don't mind the Bat/Cat relationship. I am very happy with Batman right now. I noticed, I actually slowed down quite a bit while reading to take time to absorb the story and the art. It was great and I had not done this in a long while. With Tom King, I felt I would get through the comic in like 3 minutes. I am quite happy with the product now....until they go to 4.99 that is.
    Last edited by Steven Caldwell; 01-23-2020 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gregpersons View Post
    I like Lucius being in the story but don't like the way he's being used so far... also seems really short-sighted by Bruce. Shouldn't at least one of the heads of Wayne Enterprises be getting a full night's sleep, given how many separate fields and industries they are dominating? I'm curious to see more Lucius / Bruce outside of the 3am exposition dump calls. And given how much Tynion likes the Robins, are there no other Bat-allies who could be Bruce's guy in the chair? Duke, Tim, Babs, Damian...? Everyone's busy in their team books? Nobody's willing to step up to help Bruce recover from the loss of Alfred besides Selina?
    I don't know if any of them could really fulfill the role when they're all active heroes with their own lives outside Bruce by this point.

I guess there's...Harold, maybe?

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Caldwell View Post
    I enjoy the new direction. I love the art, which reminds me of Kelley Jones, my favorite artist. The story is refreshing as we get to see Batman functioning as an adult again. I also don't mind the Bat/Cat relationship. I am very happy with Batman right now. I noticed, I actually slowed down quite a bit while reading to take time to absorb the story and the art. It was great and I had not done this in a long while. With Tom King, I felt I would get through the comic in like 3 minutes. I am quite happy with the product now....until they go to 4.99 that is.
    Agree very much on the time reading the comic...Tynion is doing a good job of not being too wordy to where it drags the book down.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't know if any of them could really fulfill the role when they're all active heroes with their own lives outside Bruce by this point.

I guess there's...Harold, maybe?
    Harold might have a hard time filling the role since he's dead, and also, mute.

But back in the pre-52 days, Barbara Gordon and Tim Drake were both pretty good at handling Bruce's comms needs and also dealing with their own solo adventures.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

This was a little bit of a letdown for me. I liked March's art quite a bit - he goes for the grotesque and emotive, and it worked - but I just don't care about the nastiness of the villains. Tynion writes them well and interestingly, but I'm much more interested in the heroes. But it's what he promised he was doing, so I can't say he didn't warn me.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Jumped on for this(and the last issue to get the start) after I heard King was finally done, and I'm hopeful. The story so far has serious echos of Hush with a mysterious villain showing up with a master plan to take down Batman involving every favorite foe, which isn't the greatest start but the characterizations are solid and I love March's art so we'll see where things go.

Mighty Member

I am curious how Tynion is going to write Bruce/Selina's relationship. so far..I like that he is done...I like their dialogue....it comes off like they are couple but without the poetic cheesiness...no "Bat", "Cat" crap either .............Selina operating equipment alone in the batcave.............yeah...she's a member of the Bat-family now
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Quote Originally Posted by gregpersons View Post
    Harold might have a hard time filling the role since he's dead, and also, mute.
    He's alive. Snyder brought him back in All-Star Batman.
    But back in the pre-52 days, Barbara Gordon and Tim Drake were both pretty good at handling Bruce's comms needs and also dealing with their own solo adventures.
    Babs isn't Oracle anymore and Tim doesn't have much of a reason to be in the Batcave right now.

Fantastic Member

It makes sense that bruce is running the prison now for his most dangerous foes but they still might escape because he does not add traps that are deadly for them. I still do not like the bat cat relationship but it bearable now that they are talking and interacting like adults. Well this ends like a middle part of a larger story which it is. It is better than the previous run at least for me