Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Default Batman 87 Discussion

The second issue of Tynion’s run is out today, thoughts?

Loved how the momentum kept increasing the issue and Riddler looked genuinely horrifying in one scene!

Yeah why was he deformed like that, he's almost got a shape of a question.

So I wonder why Cheshire, Slade and the rest are after Batman.
    Ooh and the conversation between Batman and Catwoman was actually good, still infinitely better than:

Batman: "Cat"
    Catwoman: "Bat"
    x10

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    Yeah why was he deformed like that, he's almost got a shape of a question.

So I wonder why Cheshire, Slade and the rest are after Batman.
    Ooh and the conversation between Batman and Catwoman was actually good, still infinitely better than:

Batman: "Cat"
    Catwoman: "Bat"
    x10
    Artistic license. Guillem March often stretches anatomy a bit for effect. Sometimes you get really kinetic, dynamic posing and flow and panel layout and action out of it, sometimes it's just weird, but I don't think it's as representational as "Riddler is all mutated now" or anything dumb like that. More of a Kelley Jones-type thing. I'd say March is possibly a sort of an heir apparent to that kind of Kelley Jones style. With a different inker it'd be even more obvious.

I'm not sure where this run is going. I like the dialogue and interactions. I think maybe the espionagey nature of five costumed assassins, a new police lock-up for extra-threats, and some shell games, might maybe call for a less capey/extreme artistic depiction and call for a more grounded art style, but that's the only criticism I can really level at it and I often just feel that way about Batman comics in general.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Artistic license. Guillem March often stretches anatomy a bit for effect. Sometimes you get really kinetic, dynamic posing and flow and panel layout and action out of it, sometimes it's just weird, but I don't think it's as representational as "Riddler is all mutated now" or anything dumb like that. More of a Kelley Jones-type thing. I'd say March is possibly a sort of an heir apparent to that kind of Kelley Jones style. With a different inker it'd be even more obvious.

I'm not sure where this run is going. I like the dialogue and interactions. I think maybe the espionagey nature of five costumed assassins, a new police lock-up for extra-threats, and some shell games, might maybe call for a less capey/extreme artistic depiction and call for a more grounded art style, but that's the only criticism I can really level at it and I often just feel that way about Batman comics in general.
    Ooh damn, really? lol, I thought something happened to Riddler and it would be unfold in the next couple of issues.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    Ooh damn, really? lol, I thought something happened to Riddler and it would be unfold in the next couple of issues.
    He did at least say that he's all jacked up on amphetamines!
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Incredible Member

I thought it was both busy and boring, the writing and the art.

Not a fan, generally, of Big Tech Batman or Giant Corporate Giant Wayne and I'm not so invested in Penguin and Riddler as I am baffled by their sudden turn toward the grotesque. It's weird that Wayne builds super-prisons, and also how ineffectual they are... I guess I understand you have to show Deathstroke escaping from a super prison, but it doesn't seem like those have to be built by Wayne.

I like Lucius being in the story but don't like the way he's being used so far... also seems really short-sighted by Bruce. Shouldn't at least one of the heads of Wayne Enterprises be getting a full night's sleep, given how many separate fields and industries they are dominating? I'm curious to see more Lucius / Bruce outside of the 3am exposition dump calls. And given how much Tynion likes the Robins, are there no other Bat-allies who could be Bruce's guy in the chair? Duke, Tim, Babs, Damian...? Everyone's busy in their team books? Nobody's willing to step up to help Bruce recover from the loss of Alfred besides Selina?

Aside from Catwoman's presence and Alfred's absence, this seems like a completely different universe rather than one shared by the previous run. I guess that'd be appealing to people who didn't enjoy King's run.