Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'm enjoying what Tynion's doing so far, while i didn't hate King's run as forcefully as some fans, it is refreshing to have a story that's not so...artful in its storytelling. plus i have never been a fan of Janin's art and King teams with him a lot. After the heady and circular (at times maddening) storytelling style of King's run, it's refreshing seeing a more stripped back down to basics story structure. Tynion's writing is efficient and keeps a good balance with its character beats and action sequences, and the art is clean as **** too, but not like Super super clean but still pretty clean nonetheless; solid B+/A-. I like Lucius' integration, I love seeing him flex with all these new inventions and gadgets. i'm all for Luke as Batman so seeing more of a focus on the Fox family is always welcome with me, and Catwoman feels natural in the story and as a part of Batman's regular operations. I would've liked if Slade kept his Priest era sleek design but otherwise, Tynion's Deathstroke feels relatively similar to Preist's, he does border on mustache-twirling in a couple bubbles but otherwise i've dug his take on all the villains so far. It feels very Batman the Animated Series inspired to me.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-23-2020 at 09:48 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I think it's pretty fun so far, such a nice change of pace from the depression King stuff. Tynion seems like a person who really likes tech and it shows here. I know some people don't like too much futuristic tech in their Batman, but Morrison had a lot of it in his Batman as well and it was fine.

I enjoyed March's art here, I was really hoping Daniels would be the penciler, but no problems with March.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Well, we're back to Batman just doing cool Batman ****. So that's great.
    March is a good penciller. Cheschire looks great here.
    Plot does have me intrigued though it's not clear what's going on.

Dislikes:

The new Bat prison is rather uhm... torture chamber-y...? Like, how do the prisoners eat and poop? Seems rather unethical.
    Not a huge fan of the Bat-bobsled. Seems rather... specific.
    Why did Batman know Cheshire in the prison was made of clay? Because he's Batman. No other explanation necessary. You'll accept it and like it!
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

Another solid issue. I love it.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Decidedly this isn't the book I would love read in this moment, because I would prefer more realistic stories, but Lobdell is Lobdell and he know how to do his job, so I enjoy the same this book: it is like a breath of fresh air among the various titles I'm following.

Tynion seems like a nice guy and he often nails dialogue. But overall this feels like something a fan would write, and that's never a good thing.

Is this leading to a Joker story?

Quote Originally Posted by maninthemacintosh1606 View Post
    Is this leading to a Joker story?
    Yes. Joker War.

Is there no #88 discussion thread? Can't find one...

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maninthemacintosh1606 View Post
    Is there no #88 discussion thread? Can't find one...
    It can be made! We don't have someone who is assigned to do so.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord