Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hell Arisen #2-Discussion/spoilers not of the issue but confusing story points.

Hey so Hell Arisen #2 is out today, and I guess it’s continuing the story of Perpetua and Apex Lex while also dealing with the Secret Six/Batman who laughs dark multiverse stuff which I will admit is an odd mix. But I’m not really here to discuss the issue itself, someone else can do that in comments if they want. I’m more here to discuss something bothering me after reading this issue.

In issue 1, which apparently follows the unreleased issue 39 of Justice League, it looks as though Perpetua has won and is planning her next move while also bringing back in the Crime Syndicate. In that we’ve learned that she has captured the forger and the monitor with Anti-monitor serving her. Not to mention that they say that the Justice League has been defeated or “crushed”.

Now what comes up in this issue has thrown me for a loop. Because in this issue Apex Lex infiltrates...the Hall of Justice? And it’s perfectly fine, back where it belongs before Batman made it fly, and except for the main 7 of the league all the reserves are there. We see Hawk and Dove, Doctor Light, Miss Martian, Beast Boy, Booster Gold, and etc. And it’s not another earth because they have infected Commissioner Gordon locked up just like the current Batman/Superman book.

So while I know it might be explained in issue 39 of Justice league, I’m actually a little confused what’s going on if Perpetua and Lex think they are winning but the League is somehow still intact. I’m actually not sure what to make of this if I’m honest and it’s a tad odd to show the world is fine ish(because story reasons not really) but the big bad is waiting to destroy/take over the multiverse. Thoughts anyone?
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

BANNED

Maybe Earth 0 is part of the evil Earths now. Until 5G fully sets in.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I had made a thread a while ago asking what the Snyder JL reading order was because of this problem. I had no idea what to read from Year of The Villain, Infected and all of the other stuff.

I think this take place before the big battle in JL #37-39

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I had made a thread a while ago asking what the Snyder JL reading order was because of this problem. I had no idea what to read from Year of The Villain, Infected and all of the other stuff.

I think this take place before the big battle in JL #37-39
    Unfortunately it’s after, the first issue in the story made it clear. Here is the page.

93E18F26-026B-43B5-86A7-60D809D99CA8.jpg
    Last edited by sifighter; 01-22-2020 at 10:57 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Unfortunately it’s after, the first issue in the story made it clear. Here is the page.

93E18F26-026B-43B5-86A7-60D809D99CA8.jpg
    Son of a gun; then I am at a loss.

You're totally right; but in the solicitations there is no mention of this in issue #40

Son of a gun; then I am at a loss.

You're totally right; but in the solicitations there is no mention of this in issue #40
    I think with Snyder leaving, issues 40 and onward are filler issues until whatever the big story event is
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I think with Snyder leaving, issues 40 and onward are filler issues until whatever the big story event is
    So confusing.

I will be so pissed if issue #39 has no definite ending

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Maybe Earth 0 is part of the evil Earths now. Until 5G fully sets in.
    Where could I find a list of 'evil earths'?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Where could I find a list of 'evil earths'?
    Multiverse map. And it was already mentioned the big bad is destroying good earths first. Or ones with potential to be good.

Don't even try to understand, I have already mentioned the numerous continuity errors on several threads.
    DC just don't care about coherence and continuity and they have reached a level I had never seen before in a comic crossover.

So confusing.

I will be so pissed if issue #39 has no definite ending
    Well I would have to assume one of two things is gonna happen.
    1. Issue 39 explains everything and legitimately leads into Hell Arisen to finish its story
    or
    2. Something happens to main core of the Justice League, they disappear and that will lead into some post Hell Arisen event that DC has planned for I'm guessing May or June

I'm actually gonna say its likely to be the second one because thats pretty much what they did in Forever Evil and I can totally see another story of the end of the universe is coming and its left to whatever heroes are left with the Justice League missing.
    Last edited by sifighter; 01-22-2020 at 02:16 PM.
    Words to live by.

BANNED

Shazam and JLO probably will lead into deathmetal.

Astonishing Member

I was trying really hard to track reading order. I mean I go big and try to figure out everything recently published, but for the purposes of this I was just trying to figure a reading order for Snyder's New Justice era stuff, keeping it minimal, just the three primary JL titles, a little bit of Titans, and then all this Infected/Hell Arisen stuff that's coming in out of left field. I even, so my brain didn't explode, left out/ignored 99% of the Year of the Villain tie-ins where Luthor gifts whoever various powers.

To put it mildly, I stopped really being able to suss out a logical reading order before it exploded into an almost Owl-level blowout of tie-ins. I can't even figure out where the Batman Who Laughs mini-series would lock into place. There's definitely a point just before Fifth Dimension/World Forger where Batman locks into the Tom King story beat of ditching his Rebirth costume for his Hush-era costume because angst. And so Snyder's Justice League starts depicting him in the classic costume, so we know some time has passed. Then Lex goes Apex and has to give out gifts to tons of villains plus it's a minute where everyone thinks he's dead, so time must pass between Fifth Dimension and Apex Lex stories, too, affording space for a lot of the tie-ins and other beats to play out. But hoo boy, not trying to figure out chronology in that span. It's a task. Like, try matching all that up to ... oh, Bendis Superman? Leviathan? City of Bane? ... DOOMSDAY CLOCK? Yeah right, good luck ...

I take pretty good solace in the fact that so far, frankly, as hard to track as all the tying in is, Snyder's League book actually feels fairly self-contained. But the OCD parts of me are like wincing hard.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I was trying really hard to track reading order. I mean I go big and try to figure out everything recently published, but for the purposes of this I was just trying to figure a reading order for Snyder's New Justice era stuff, keeping it minimal, just the three primary JL titles, a little bit of Titans, and then all this Infected/Hell Arisen stuff that's coming in out of left field. I even, so my brain didn't explode, left out/ignored 99% of the Year of the Villain tie-ins where Luthor gifts whoever various powers.

To put it mildly, I stopped really being able to suss out a logical reading order before it exploded into an almost Owl-level blowout of tie-ins. I can't even figure out where the Batman Who Laughs mini-series would lock into place. There's definitely a point just before Fifth Dimension/World Forger where Batman locks into the Tom King story beat of ditching his Rebirth costume for his Hush-era costume because angst. And so Snyder's Justice League starts depicting him in the classic costume, so we know some time has passed. Then Lex goes Apex and has to give out gifts to tons of villains plus it's a minute where everyone thinks he's dead, so time must pass between Fifth Dimension and Apex Lex stories, too, affording space for a lot of the tie-ins and other beats to play out. But hoo boy, not trying to figure out chronology in that span. It's a task. Like, try matching all that up to ... oh, Bendis Superman? Leviathan? City of Bane? ... DOOMSDAY CLOCK? Yeah right, good luck ...

I take pretty good solace in the fact that so far, frankly, as hard to track as all the tying in is, Snyder's League book actually feels fairly self-contained. But the OCD parts of me are like wincing hard.
    This is exactly how I feel, I would like to get all of the tie-ins for JL; but until I see something different I will treat JL as stand alone

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post

Remember when people were confused by something as pedestrian as Final Crisis?

Ah, the good old days!
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!