Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barry (HBO)

Default Barry (HBO)

I couldn’t find a thread on here about this glorious show! If there is one already, get rid of this one - all I could see were Barry Allen threads haha

Season 3 just finished with one of the most intense episodes of tv I’ve seen in a long time. It really reminded me of Breaking Bar’s incredible Ozymandias episode.

Bill Hader has really shown off every one of his skills in this show. He’s absolutely incredible.

But yeah, thoughts, reviews, theories, all welcome.

What a show!

This has been my fav show, but this season was a bit of a let-down. (to its credit, the bar was very high) There's a ton of great stuff and it's still better than 96% of tv shows, but I feel like the show lost something by ditching Barry's acting career. The parallel narratives of his double-life still had a lot of mileage imo - it didn't have to stay in the acting class, he could've gotten a job on a show or movie or something and still progress the narrative as we see his behavior change with success or dealing with struggles in Hollywood, etc. The cast was also split up so much it felt like we were following four separate storylines. I doubt they want this show to go on too long so it feels like they're ramping up to a finale, but I would have loved more seasons following Barry's journey.

And while it was interesting for Barry to be more of an overt villain, I also found it lost a lot of the humor.

BANNED

I'm only two episodes into the 3rd season (I like to pace myself instead of bingeing) and I have to agree that this season (so far) is a bit of a letdown. I'll also echo it's a pretty high bar to reach. Nothing like the fall off from Westworld Season 1 to Season 2 (and I'm still trying to forget Season 3). But still, a shame.

For those who haven't seen, would highly recommend. Bill Hader's great, Stephen Root's always great, I think this might be my favorite Henry Winkler project ever. But nobody captures my heart like No-Ho Hank. Darkness, humor, real emotion, complicated characters, somehow this series juggles it all (at least through Season 2, I'm holding out hope Season 3 will still be good overall even if the first 2 episodes are shaky).

I liked the first few episodes but I haven't kept up with it.

I definitely understand the underwhelming feel you guys are getting from this season - a big part of the show for the past two seasons was Barry’s relationship with acting. Although, I’m personally glad they went the way they did - Barry’s reaction to Gene finding out what he did with Janice felt serious, which I think would have been undermined by the status quo/tone remaining quite similar.

I definitely missed the lighter elements of the show, BUT I didn’t feel shortchanged by the direction they decided to go in instead. As I said before, this show felt quite intense toward the end, and really left me reeling for a bit. Both myself and my partner were left with jaws dropped!

CSTowle - I hope you end up liking the season more by the time you finish it - like, J9ac9k I think it is still easily one of the best shows on tv

That season finale was something else. No spoilers, but so many incredible scenes.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Fantastic Member

Hader's take on the acting aspect was interesting -- that the story didn't want it. The ending was heavy, but it was really the only logical space left for the story to go. Cousineau's eyes were so cold when Barry sees him at the end. I thought it was the series finale, but I guess Season 4 awaits.

I was totally blown away by the finale. Absolutely amazing show!

BANNED

Yeah, it definitely got better as it went on but I feel like I some of the storylines were too short/cut off too quickly. A lot to pack in 8 episodes. Great, and surprising, season finale and not sure where they're going with Season 4 but apparently confirmed and Hader's going to direct. Can't wait.

Hader's become quite the filmmaker over the course of this show and one thing that stood out this season was his increasingly impressive artistry behind the camera.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Hader's become quite the filmmaker over the course of this show and one thing that stood out this season was his increasingly impressive artistry behind the camera.
    Agreed. The scene where the wild animal goes into the other cell was just horrifying. Great filmmaking and use of sound.

And just like that, the final season was a trainwreck...

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    And just like that, the final season was a trainwreck...
    I would disagree. I know the show doesn't take the expected routes, but I thought they stuck the landing for the most part. At first I missed Barry not being in the acting class anymore last season, but it was clear this show had a path and wasn't interested in maintaining a status quo.

I thought the ending was alright, until the fake docudrama and what they did to Gene. It rang false and more of the writers desperate to be clever.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Overall I liked the last season and ending. It definitely had some issues though.

I still don’t know what happened with the home invasion bodysuit guy attacking Sally. I know it was probably Bevel getting revenge but the commotion with him seemingly getting attacked and saying the same thing as the biker that Sally killed. Was it PTSD, was that really happening?

The last episode nicely stayed with the overall show theme of denial and pretending to be someone you’re not (acting). Fuchs and Sally finally admitted that they were frauds and bad people and they survived. Hank was on the verge of finally admitting what happened to Cristobal but couldn’t do it, so he died. Barry was desperately trying to justify all murders and drown it all out with religion. Even finding a preacher (voiced by Bill Burr ) that ok’d murdered. He decided to turn himself in but by then it was too late.

Ending with a movie that sugarcoated everything and used that good old Hollywood bullshit to make Barry look like a hero was a nice way to bring it all home. And you can see Jon having a hard time watching it but at the end accepting this fake reality. Denial.