Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman #750 Discussion [SPOILERS]

The other thread is spoiler-free, so here's the spoiler discussion thread for Wonder Woman #750, Diana's milestone issue that sets the new DC timeline and Diana's revamped history.

What was everyone's favorite story in the book? Mine's was Snyder's "A Brave New World".

What does everyone think of the book overall and Diana's place in the new timeline?

What cover did you guys get? My store only had 2 books left when I got there, and they were both J Scott Campbell covers. I ended up getting the '60s one. It's fine, I like it, but if I could have gotten Scott's Generations cover I would have in a heartbeat, or Artgerm's!

Outside of Snyder's book, I really liked "To Leave Paradise" but Kami Garcia, I think it was a sweet look into Diana's mind that was set on leaving the island, and I know that's typically touched on in tons of the origin movies or animated movies, but the conversations she has in that story did a good job reflecting her desire to leave, imo. Still, every story in the book was well written, one or two of them didn't really hit as strong as the others, but it's all subjective.

As for the Bombshells being in the new timeline, I'm pretty sure it's not in the main continuity. I think that story was set in its own continuity/Earth.

And I loved the still/page of Diana standing on the ledge by Liam Sharp—looked so good! I really wish he was drawing her ongoing 'cause God damn he makes Wonder Woman look fantastic and strong.
    Last edited by KangMiRae; 01-22-2020 at 12:29 PM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Well, I guess this answers the question I posed in my thread a few days back. She IS getting a new origin. It's not Hippolyta, it's her. She IS the first superhero. It'll be interesting to see what she's been up to all these years.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Well, I guess this answers the question I posed in my thread a few days back. She IS getting a new origin. It's not Hippolyta, it's her. She IS the first superhero. It'll be interesting to see what she's been up to all these years.
    They could easily make an entire book about Diana’s history between WWII and the when she came back to Man’s World during the Age of Superheroes.

Or they could just explore it slowly across multiple books she’s in. Regardless of what they go with, they shouldn’t wait too long to start exploring what she’s been doing all those years in between. It’s literally a chance to build her lore and character up more. Yeah, it’s retroactive change which I typically hate, but what can ya’ do?

My shop had about half a dozen of the various covers. It looked as if Campbell’s 60s cover was selling the fastest. I chose the Coipel/Nubia variant.

As usual, when it comes to these “special editions,” I was let down. At least two of these tales are reprints. I thought I was getting all new efforts for my ten dollars.

Snyder’s story, while well done, just felt like a prologue. Couldn’t they have ditched a few of those retreads and let his story expand?

Kami Garcia’s story was very good.

Orlando and Merino did respectable job wrapping up the loose ends they inherited (Orana! Yay!). I’m still looking forward to seeing where Orlando goes.
    Last edited by Largo161; 01-22-2020 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    My shop had about half a dozen of the various covers. It looked as if Campbell’s 60s cover was selling the fastest. I chose the Coipel/Nubia variant.

As usual, when it comes to these “special editions,” I was let down. At least two of these tales are reprints. I thought I was getting all new efforts for my ten dollars.

Snyder’s story, while well done, just felt like a prologue. Couldn’t they have ditched a few of those retreads and let his story expand?

Orlando and Merino did respectable job wrapping up the loose ends they inherited (Orana! Yay!). I’m still looking forward to seeing where Orlando goes.
    Thanks for the update! The 750 deluxe hardcover edition is on sale on Amazon for around $17.99 but, won't be out until June 2, 2020. I'm hoping that all the variant covers are included in this edition because I've seen some beautiful artwork on them. Do you know if your shop will be getting the deluxe addition as well?

It really did feel like a prologue, and a short one at that. I wouldn’t be too scuffed about it if I knew for certain if his story was leading to a WWII Wonder Woman book or a JSA book with her, but we’re in the dark so I also feel a little unsatisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by donnafan View Post
    Thanks for the update! The 750 deluxe hardcover edition is on sale on Amazon for around $17.99 but, won't be out until June 2, 2020. I'm hoping that all the variant covers are included in this edition because I've seen some beautiful artwork on them. Do you know if your shop will be getting the deluxe addition as well?
    Odds are my shop will get the deluxe edition. It’s a pretty big store in the middle of NYC.

I assume Gail Simone is pushing for that Star-Blossom kid to join the Teen Titans? The Titans get mentioned in Simone's story.

Silver Swan got her powers from nanotech that was meant to cure her paraplegia? She should just get the same tech Barbara Gordon has.

KangMiRae, they really ought to do a Sensation Comics mini-series to show what Diana did between the 1940s and the present, I think. The main Wonder Woman book can stay in the present day.

Why was the Bombshells story the only one to mention Donna and Cassie?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I assume Gail Simone is pushing for that Star-Blossom kid to join the Teen Titans? The Titans get mentioned in Simone's story.

Silver Swan got her powers from nanotech that was meant to cure her paraplegia? She should just get the same tech Barbara Gordon has.

KangMiRae, they really ought to do a Sensation Comics mini-series to show what Diana did between the 1940s and the present, I think. The main Wonder Woman book can stay in the present day.

Why was the Bombshells story the only one to mention Donna and Cassie?
    Maybe that’s why I didn’t care for Simone’s story, lol.

I’d be all for a mini or maxi-series under Sensation Comics to fill in the history. Tons of Wonder Woman supporting cast from throughout the years could show up, and they could possibly explore Steve Trevor’s situation in there, too. They could even use this as a chance to build his character into a more interesting character since he may have been with Diana for all these years—one of her oldest friends, supporting cast members, and love interest. As it is now, Chris Pine’s Steve Trevor is the best version of Steve. Comics need to catch up.

I'm still processing but it felt a little loose in the caboose. The continuity was all over the place.

Spectacular Member

While I'm happy that #750 wrapped up The Wild Hunt storyline, I wish the Synder story started the issue and was beefier. It also felt too "prologue" to me.

I was also extremely disappointed by Hitch's artwork for the story. That first clear panel of Wonder Woman flying was not to my liking. I thought she looked too mannish and unattractive. For such a momentous story, couldn't they have gotten someone to provide better, cleaning artwork?

The conclusion to The Wild Hunt was okay. I'm just glad to be rid of the God Killer sword. I was also glad to see Diana reaffirmed and more confident. It did feel a bit heavy-handed with the dialogue, especially between Diana and Silencer. Hopefully the next arc will be even better.

Spectacular Member

I hope DC will continue the story of 1939 timeline
    Even better if they make the main title start over again from 1939

Quote Originally Posted by JackBNimble View Post
    While I'm happy that #750 wrapped up The Wild Hunt storyline, I wish the Synder story started the issue and was beefier. It also felt too "prologue" to me.

I was also extremely disappointed by Hitch's artwork for the story. That first clear panel of Wonder Woman flying was not to my liking. I thought she looked too mannish and unattractive. For such a momentous story, couldn't they have gotten someone to provide better, cleaning artwork?

The conclusion to The Wild Hunt was okay. I'm just glad to be rid of the God Killer sword. I was also glad to see Diana reaffirmed and more confident. It did feel a bit heavy-handed with the dialogue, especially between Diana and Silencer. Hopefully the next arc will be even better.
    You took the words right out of my mouth re Hitch’s version of Diana. I get it—he’s intentionally working from an HG Peter model—but still, Peter’s version always had a pretty face. (And Hitch’s Diana also looks like someone gave her a bad haircut on purpose.)

Feels like a few people are upset that the WWII timeline story wasn't longer. I can't help but think that it was nothing more than an attempt to set Snyder up to write a Wonder Woman & The JSA book. At least I hope so, otherwise I agree, it was way too weak for such a monumental moment!

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JackBNimble View Post

You took the words right out of my mouth re Hitch’s version of Diana. I get it—he’s intentionally working from an HG Peter model—but still, Peter’s version always had a pretty face. (And Hitch’s Diana also looks like someone gave her a bad haircut on purpose.)
    I completely agree...Hitch usually does much better. This was cringe worthy.