Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Agreed, which is why I've always been a proponent of adding supporting characters who can genuinely challenge Diana's POV on things. Not a supervillain in disguise, not someone possessed by an evil being (hell, not even a corrupt senator ). Just someone with a completely valid POV that can make Diana re-examine how she approaches humanity/superheroics.
    It's not an issue of Diana lacking obstacles in my opinion. In many of the people that have writen her these past years, i can't find her personality, her confident, her power and skills in the way they write her. It doesn't feel like WW. The previous run constantly had Diana needing somebody else's power and guidance to make it through the day. She felt so empty, insecure and weak. That's not how i picture Diana at all. I really don't think that writing like that can qualify as treating her with reverence.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    It's not an issue of Diana lacking obstacles in my opinion. In many of the people that have writen her these past years, i can't find her personality, her confident, her power and skills in the way they write her. It doesn't feel like WW. The previous run constantly had Diana needing somebody else's power and guidance to make it through the day. She felt so empty, insecure and weak. That's not how i picture Diana at all. I really don't think that writing like that can qualify as treating her with reverence.
    I don't necessarily think that considering others pov makes her empty, insecure and weak. It all just depends on how it is written. Thoughtfully re-examining the way we approach things and considering other people's views is (if anything) is a sign of intelligence and growth.

Diana (like some of the best heroes out there) never struck me as the type to think that there's nothing left to learn.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Mindi Mayer, the Kapatelis, Jonathan from Rucka's run, the Bana all were characters with valid POVs that sometimes clashed with Diana's. Now not so much.

I like the idea of Diana having a danger room of her own and I very much like the idea of Mala being her tech support in Man's World.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I like the idea of Diana having a danger room of her own and I very much like the idea of Mala being her tech support in Man's World.
    I like the idea of Wonder Woman having a cadre of Amazons in Man's World to help her with her mission. They can provide intel, reconnaissance, weapons upgrades and maintenance, personal assistance, rescue and recovery back up and anything else her embassy staff accomplished. They'd be her very own Alfred, Angels or Birds of Prey and possibly a superhuman team in their own right should the need arise. Membership could include Orana, Grace Choi, Nubia, Mala and Atalanta and they'd serve at the pleasure of Princess Diana of Themyscira.

Spectacular Member

I like the idea of Wonder Woman having a cadre of Amazons in Man's World to help her with her mission. They can provide intel, reconnaissance, weapons upgrades and maintenance, personal assistance, rescue and recovery back up and anything else her embassy staff accomplished. They'd be her very own Alfred, Angels or Birds of Prey and possibly a superhuman team in their own right should the need arise. Membership could include Orana, Grace Choi, Nubia, Mala and Atalanta and they'd serve at the pleasure of Princess Diana of Themyscira.
    Funny, i thought about that role for Steve Etta and ARGUS.

Why replace the Holliday girls for that role?
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by Manakel View Post
    Funny, i thought about that role for Steve Etta and ARGUS.
    A.R.G.U.S. was destroyed by Event Leviathan and were sending Wonder Woman into places like war torn countries and terrorist cells for the best interests of the United States. She worked with them not for them but came into conflict with their ideals and methods. I'm talking about a team just for Diana and HER mission where she could fight with autonomy proactively on a global scale. Steve Trevor has the Odd Fellows to back him up along with the U.S. military should he ever come back from his destruction by Bendis.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Why replace the Holliday girls for that role?
    They haven't been seen or useful in a very long time, I'd put them in charge of the Wonder Scouts and possibly a new version of the Athenian Women's Shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    They haven't been seen or useful in a very long time, I'd put them in charge of the Wonder Scouts and possibly a new version of the Athenian Women's Shelters.
    It's not like Diana has a semi-permanent support structure right now, so why not use the historical one?
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

It's not like Diana has a semi-permanent support structure right now, so why not use the historical one?
    As college students I don't think they'd have the experience or skill set to be superior to Amazons. It may be different if they had a scrappy rotund redhead from Texas to lead them, but that's not the case anymore. Besides real life Ambassadors have support staff from their home country and Wonder Woman should be no different. With them you'd have a built in supporting cast that we know already along with plenty of story potential for fish out of water Amazons adapting to a new setting in modern times. Let them see how much or how little men have changed and inform the rest of the Themyscirans. War of the Gods has previously set precedent for it.

I don't think the Holiday Girls fulfill any role that isn't easily occupied by Cassie or Donna or any of the Amazons. It's a very different time now from when they were introduced.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 02-01-2020 at 09:44 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I don;t think the Holiday Girls fulfill any role that isn't easily occupied by Cassie or Donna or any of the Amazons. It's a very different time now from when they were introduced.
    Cassie and Donna are superheroes though, they are not everywomen heroes like the Holliday Girls could be. They don't fill the same niche. The Holliday Girls and Amazons co-existed just fine previously, and college campuses still have plenty of issues women face today.

Plus, Etta just works far better as a character tied to that location (or with roots there) than being in Steve's immediate circle, and it's a convenient location for Julia to teach.

Spectacular Member

A.R.G.U.S. was destroyed by Event Leviathan and were sending Wonder Woman into places like war torn countries and terrorist cells for the best interests of the United States. She worked with them not for them but came into conflict with their ideals and methods. I'm talking about a team just for Diana and HER mission where she could fight with autonomy proactively on a global scale. Steve Trevor has the Odd Fellows to back him up along with the U.S. military should he ever come back from his destruction by Bendis.
    Well, i didn't say DC handled this the right way either...

A bit late, but finally got to my LCS and was able to read #750.

I have to say overall I was disappointed. Given that Diana's history has just drastically changed (debuted in WW 1?)... so little was addressed other than "she was there".
    DC could have taken this opportunity to connect some of the huge questions in an epic book, and spoke to none of them. Why did she come to Man's World the first time? Why did she leave? Why did she return for the modern era? Was there a golden age Steve and Etta, and subsequently also a modern version of each? What did Diana do during the in-between period? How do Donna and Cassie fit in?

I didn't need every detail buttoned up in a bow, but leaving ALL the details left hanging leaves it up to subsequent writers to come in and mangle how all the pieces fit together. (Ugh).

While the book did wrap up Orlando's first arc, the rest was prinmarily a lot of fluff. Cute but pretty inconsequential (although I do want to see Star-Blossom show up again!) Didn't hate it, but was hoping for more to sink my teeth into.