Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by gambit2051 View Post
    he looked like he was maybe 22 in Forever Evil #7. So the idea that he had a career with Booster and retired already.....no, just...just no.
    Yeah well what you are seeing is a slight inherent problem with Rebirth. It had some really good ideas and some great stories, I personally really like it and still do, but not everything works when you can still say Forever Evil (which I believe happened in Hell Arisen) but then say that the old timeline fit. For some characters its easy to put back their old continuity, for others its a bit of troubling situation.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Well rebirth aged him up and had flashbacks in his old costume.
    o..m...f...g...Ted Kord is the manifestation of what DC has become pretty much.
    If you are going to refute, you need to do your own research.

Extraordinary Member

he looked like he was maybe 22 in Forever Evil #7. So the idea that he had a career with Booster and retired already.....no, just...just no.
    He says he is a grad student, you might be surprised of the age range that puts him at, and also keep in mind that back then, they were drawing all the characters as if they were 22.

BANNED

o..m...f...g...Ted Kord is the manifestation of what DC has become pretty much.
    Nah you just have to accept Nu52 Ted never existed post rebirth and was replaced in canon with similar pre flashpoint version. Except he quits during death of Superman

The shear number of routes they could have taken, and they went with "ignore it"......not that it was a Ted that slipped through the dimensional cracks (Superman is the most popular character they have done that with because of how TERRIBLE their idea of a "fresh" Superman for modern times. I mean they LITERALLY brought back the One from Pre-Flashpoint and then had his personality be the main one when he and New52-Superman merged so that they could age down Classic Superman and give him the memories of the current Universe Plus the Memories of the old one...they created a months long storyline around it that is as convoluted as it sounds, but the end result SAVED Superman and made the franchise solid again.)
    Considering what movies and TV have shown, people are more accepting of Dimensional Clones than ever before and we are talking about Comic Book readers here...we are willing to accept just about anything as long as it makes even a little bit of sense. They could have easily had it be a Ted from another Universe and he was talking about his adventures from There...having him here play Bruce to Jamie's Terry...They could have even went with "I spent over a decade in the Timestream with Booster." We could have learned how THIS duo of Blue and Gold started working together and it hurts that such a huge opportunity was more or less spit on. Just ignoring it IS BORING and LAZY, and makes me want to actively avoid reading it in all honesty.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    He says he is a grad student, you might be surprised of the age range that puts him at, and also keep in mind that back then, they were drawing all the characters as if they were 22.
    That is more bc of Finch's art style. I honestly believe that you can tell when he does not give a **** about what he is drawing, and that scene stunk of that. Ted looked like Zuckerberg wannabe that was cut out and given Teds name and hair color.

BANNED

The shear number of routes they could have taken, and they went with "ignore it"......not that it was a Ted that slipped through the dimensional cracks (Superman is the most popular character they have done that with because of how TERRIBLE their idea of a "fresh" Superman for modern times. I mean they LITERALLY brought back the One from Pre-Flashpoint and then had his personality be the main one when he and New52-Superman merged so that they could age down Classic Superman and give him the memories of the current Universe Plus the Memories of the old one...they created a months long storyline around it that is as convoluted as it sounds, but the end result SAVED Superman and made the franchise solid again.)
    Considering what movies and TV have shown, people are more accepting of Dimensional Clones than ever before and we are talking about Comic Book readers here...we are willing to accept just about anything as long as it makes even a little bit of sense. They could have easily had it be a Ted from another Universe and he was talking about his adventures from There...having him here play Bruce to Jamie's Terry...They could have even went with "I spent over a decade in the Timestream with Booster." We could have learned how THIS duo of Blue and Gold started working together and it hurts that such a huge opportunity was more or less spit on. Just ignoring it IS BORING and LAZY, and makes me want to actively avoid reading it in all honesty.
    Reality was changing already with DC you then Wally arriving.

Me, I'm looking forward to 5G final timeline and retelllimg stuff. Seems something like At and t are forcing DC to clarify.

Me, I'm looking forward to 5G final timeline and retelllimg stuff. Seems something like At and t are forcing DC to clarify.
    When you said "retellings" my stomach dropped out, bc they are going to milk that of course.

And I hate that 5G is apparently the shorthand for the newest Universe reshuffle (they did it Twice in 70 years and we are already on how many Universe Reboots since Infinite Crisis?). Mainly because of all the 5G speed hype that we have heard for what feels like years in the Mobile Arena. So thinking about that failure of a WAY TO EARLY PR Push when thinking about yet Another Universe reboot...2 disappointing thoughts in 1. Ha! lol

BANNED

When you said "retellings" my stomach dropped out, bc they are going to milk that of course.

And I hate that 5G is apparently the shorthand for the newest Universe reshuffle (they did it Twice in 70 years and we are already on how many Universe Reboots since Infinite Crisis?). Mainly because of all the 5G speed hype that we have heard for what feels like years in the Mobile Arena. So thinking about that failure of a WAY TO EARLY PR Push when thinking about yet Another Universe reboot...2 disappointing thoughts in 1. Ha! lol
    Retelling helps readers know what instead of just some word balloon.

Completely forgot about that version of him...was that the same version that is currently running around? because omfg if it is...how could he have "retired"......omg my head hurts now...
    Basically no, beyond being alive. That version was too young to be the Ted that's currently running around in the comics.

Retelling helps readers know what instead of just some word balloon.
    There are retelling's and re-releases. Marvel and DC finally saw the market with Trades (i have been reading them for over 20 years but the selection the past 5 years is light years ahead of how it used to be), but how many more Year Zero Year One etc must we live through????

I mean...DC seems to honestly have NO ORIGINAL IDEAS LEFT. They just reboot the Universe every few years...

Meanwhile over at Marvel, look what Hickman did to the X-Men in just 12 issues! I have been reading X-Men since i could read, almost literally (since I first learned about Comic Books), and I have seen the highs and lows, but the number of Lows since AvX...but it has never had such a major overhaul before that also makes 100% sense in terms of what a Mutant is and working WITH the past to create something completely New while at the same time we have seen it all before. That is what a really good writer can do, they can take an idea like putting all the mutants on an island (yet AGAIN) and make it completely new (they are doing it from a position of strength and they have many new abilities thanks to working with the idea of Evolution. Krakoa plus the Ultimate Universe Utopia runs are fantastic source material for inspiration. I believe that was Brian Wood.) AND he has made Resurrection a built in idea that Xavier has been PLANNING FOR thanks to the reinvention of Moira (House of X #2 was the best single issue of 2019 imo, and one of the best X-Men Comics EVER). Think about how much Inspiration that takes, to actually build upon the previous work, not to reappropriate or steal, but to acknowledge that was a great 1st step now here is the 3rd and 4th steps past that.

I do not see any of that at DC right now (other than Morrison's GL/Darkstars run (Edit: i originally put Moore and knew that had to be wrong, i always get the 2 of them switched bc they are tonally similar and both great writers) and Lobdell's Flash-Forward/Wally West Redemption Series) that feels like it is doing that. Bendis came into the Superman series with a hammer, there was no nuance there, it was just "this is how it is now, deal with it" and I have not enjoyed it. I am still mad about what he has done with Jon and i am positive it is because Bendis does not know how to write kids long-term, so instant age up and destruction of the incredible relationship that Jon had given his powers, place, and personality. Bendis had to change most all of it so that Jon would fit his needs, and the same is said for everything else. I mean Gemworld brings Kon back?

This whole ignore what happened and just write around it approach seems to have been DC's mandate for the ENTIRETY of Rebirth, not just at the beginning when we all expected it.

It makes me appreciate Hickman's FF, Avengers, and now X-Men runs that much more, and look down on writers or editors that decide to just ignore what came before when they take over a Legacy series. There are of course exceptions for time skips and such, but not for Editorial Stupidity like Kords handling in Forever Evil moving forward.

phew, i needed that lol
    Last edited by gambit2051; 01-22-2020 at 04:08 PM. Reason: correction

BANNED

There are retelling's and re-releases. Marvel and DC finally saw the market with Trades (i have been reading them for over 20 years but the selection the past 5 years is light years ahead of how it used to be), but how many more Year Zero Year One etc must we live through????

I mean...DC seems to honestly have NO ORIGINAL IDEAS LEFT. They just reboot the Universe every few years...

Meanwhile over at Marvel, look what Hickman did to the X-Men in just 12 issues! I have been reading X-Men since i could read, almost literally (since I first learned about Comic Books), and I have seen the highs and lows, but the number of Lows since AvX...but it has never had such a major overhaul before that also makes 100% sense in terms of what a Mutant is and working WITH the past to create something completely New while at the same time we have seen it all before. That is what a really good writer can do, they can take an idea like putting all the mutants on an island (yet AGAIN) and make it completely new (they are doing it from a position of strength and they have many new abilities thanks to working with the idea of Evolution. Krakoa plus the Ultimate Universe Utopia runs are fantastic source material for inspiration. I believe that was Brian Wood.) AND he has made Resurrection a built in idea that Xavier has been PLANNING FOR thanks to the reinvention of Moira (House of X #2 was the best single issue of 2019 imo, and one of the best X-Men Comics EVER). Think about how much Inspiration that takes, to actually build upon the previous work, not to reappropriate or steal, but to acknowledge that was a great 1st step now here is the 3rd and 4th steps past that.

I do not see any of that at DC right now (other than Morrison's GL/Darkstars run (Edit: i originally put Moore and knew that had to be wrong, i always get the 2 of them switched bc they are tonally similar and both great writers) and Lobdell's Flash-Forward/Wally West Redemption Series) that feels like it is doing that. Bendis came into the Superman series with a hammer, there was no nuance there, it was just "this is how it is now, deal with it" and I have not enjoyed it. I am still mad about what he has done with Jon and i am positive it is because Bendis does not know how to write kids long-term, so instant age up and destruction of the incredible relationship that Jon had given his powers, place, and personality. Bendis had to change most all of it so that Jon would fit his needs, and the same is said for everything else. I mean Gemworld brings Kon back?

This whole ignore what happened and just write around it approach seems to have been DC's mandate for the ENTIRETY of Rebirth, not just at the beginning when we all expected it.

It makes me appreciate Hickman's FF, Avengers, and now X-Men runs that much more, and look down on writers or editors that decide to just ignore what came before when they take over a Legacy series. There are of course exceptions for time skips and such, but not for Editorial Stupidity like Kords handling in Forever Evil moving forward.

phew, i needed that lol
    It's for sales. They're starting to fill in the 5G history in Wonderwoman and Flash.

It's for sales. They're starting to fill in the 5G history in Wonderwoman and Flash.
    It feels like DC needs the sales boost based on their releases, but I have not checked their Sales in months. That is outside of Batman and Doomsday Clock of course. Batman always sells well and Doomsday Clock #12 FINALLY ENDED IT.