Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Watched the train scene in SM2 this morning again. Still holds up! I loved the people saving him and "he's just a kid" So true to Stan Lee's vision!

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    I did not feel like including them -especially part 1- cause that felt like something that goes without saying.
    Yah, I'd sooner forget about them. Pretty much its widely agreed on now.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Yah, I'd sooner forget about them. Pretty much its widely agreed on now.
    I personally love those movies, and would rather watch both of them 5 times in a row before watching Homecoming.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

The only problem I had with Spider-man 3 was that there was too much movie going on.

There was about two movies worth of plot jammed into one movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    The only problem I had with Spider-man 3 was that there was too much movie going on.

There was about two movies worth of plot jammed into one movie.
    Yeah, although I think it pulled it off better then, say, ASM2. A lot of movie, but at least everything was wrapped up in the end.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I don’t see why it’s important the burglar lives or dies, myself. Ben died. That’s important. Does Peter feel he avenged his uncle? I think Peter just thought this idiot caused his own death. Peter doesn’t kill people. Peter felt the full impact of causing his uncles death, and moped about it for a long time. The burglar was just theatre.

You saw how Peter reacted to the Goblins funeral at the end of SW1? He felt because of himself, nothing would go right in his life. He was sick to his stomach about it. It sort of ran his life afterwards, like a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    Last edited by jackolover; 02-17-2020 at 11:33 PM.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

The only good film was the second one.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    The only good film was the second one.
    Maybe? I have kinda come to the opinion that I think the first one actually has the best pacing and structure of the bunch, maybe even of all the movies combined.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Spider-Man 3 aside, the stories are still by far the best live action representations of Spider-Man and his universe. The only thing is that the CGI---which was revolutionary for Spidey live action scenes at the time---hasn't aged that well. A lot of the web swinging in particular looks wonky in comparison to what came after it. For instance, with all the flack that the Garfield Spidey movies gets and with all the problems they had, the one thing they absolutely NAILED and are still the best at is the way Spider-Man moved. Even MCU Spidey doesn't look as good and seamless crawling, leaping, dodging, and swinging on screen as Garfield Spider-Man did.

I'd give the first one a B+
    I liked the basics of the origin.
    I wish Flash was more than a generic bully.
    I liked Osborn becoming the Goblin. I wish the costume had more colors to it.
    The part of being semi-rescued by New Yorkers throwing trash was neat, and given the timing (post-9/11) it was understandable.

I'd give part 2 an A+
    I liked the actor's performance as Octavious. It was well handled throughout, especially at the climax.

I'd give part 3 a C+
    part 3 had too many villains. I could have done without Venom and the alien costume. I also did not like that Sandman was made the "real" killer of Ben, and was given a sappy backstory, and he seemed to just "get away" after all the mayhem he caused. Nothing resolved regarding his daughter, etc.
    Avi Arad clearly got too pushy with his ideas. It ended up showing badly with the second Garfield movie.

Amazing Member

I only enjoyed sm1.

Nice doc ock kills my enjoyment of sm2. Doc ock has always been an egotistical Ahole who only cares about himself and being smarter then everyone else. Doc ock would not drown himself because hes going to hurt innocent people.

Sm3 was just dumb. A flying snow boarding goblin.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by yada View Post
    I only enjoyed sm1.

Nice doc ock kills my enjoyment of sm2. Doc ock has always been an egotistical Ahole who only cares about himself and being smarter then everyone else. Doc ock would not drown himself because hes going to hurt innocent people.
    Preach.
    Testify.
    Hallelujah!

BANNED

While I wouldn't say it kills my enjoyment of SM2, because there's a lot of great stuff in that film, its treatment of Ock always rubbed me the wrong way. Making him too sympathetic in that film felt like a mistake to me.

You've got one swing at Ock - be true to him as a world class meglomanical baddie, don't make him out to be barely a villain at all.

To me, making him a megolomaniac would have made him too similar to how they were doing Norman Osborn. Plus Peter's villains always work better on a personal level, when they hate him specifically because he's always foiling their plans. And making Ock into a worldwide villain would have made him be too big for Spider-Man to go after.

If I were to improve the depiction any, I'd have made him substantially more nerdy and gotten rid of the idea of the inhibitor chip. No way should he have had a hot wife, he should be a science loner. And the notion of metal arms taking over someone's head iand becoming intelligent was kind of lame. But I'm not sure those changes would have really added all that much and they might have taken away too much from the drama without giving anything back.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I only enjoyed sm1.
    I will concede that that's the most "fun" one of the bunch. Really good origin story movie, too; a lot of superhero origin movies, even ones that I think can be genuinely called "good," rarely balance the actual origin and the "first adventure" part of the plot that well.

I... actually like movie Ock way more then the comics version. [hangs head in shame]

Sm3 was just dumb. A flying snow boarding goblin.
    New Goblin could've been better. Did think seeing him using his own tech was a good idea in principle and since he wasn't going into crime as a career, just revenge, the more utilitarian design made sense. That said, it wasn't very memorable or striking.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

In SM2 they take the idea of Doc Ock being what Peter would have became without Aunt May and Uncle Ben and make it "he's living the life Peter wishes he one day can have." So I don't have any issue with the wife or anything, cause at the end of the day his idealic life comes to an end due to his hubris not believing he could make a mistake. He also attacks Spider-Man physically during the first experiment when Spidey tries to pull the plug, showing a violent streak when his work is endangered by others intervening (not ultimately caring about his work actually endangering people). Not believing he can make a mistake when it comes to science is pretty Ock to me. He becomes so fixated on not accepting he messed up he uses that as a reason to turn to crime. The arms amplify and justify his negative impulses here, arguably close to the Green Goblin personality in SM1 but it is another tool that shows his change. Proving his scientific knowledge, proving he was right, is his reason for villainy in SM2. I think it doesn't stray too far from the comic version, he's not as straight up villainous, sure, but I think the important stuff is intact that makes him a believable character on-screen. He ain't a perfect nice guy, either.