Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Generation 1 Mysteries; Speculation & Theories.

I didn't see a thread specifically for this. If I missed it, please ignore this thread and/or mix it into the other one/s.

So anyway, we've got a bunch of mysteries in the generation 1 one-shot that comes out in about a month, but these details seem to be getting ignored in the larger conversations about Didio being fired and the 5G stuff at large. And yes, Didio leaving DC might change plans but rumors (some anyway) say that 5G is still going to happen, and even if plans were being changed, odds are the generation 1 one-shot is too close to release to incorporate them.

So these mysteries, as follows are:

* a Golden Age "big bang" event
    * a Golden Age hero becoming history's biggest villain.
    * new, never before seen "wildcards" who will push for the future.
    * a dark alliance that kept the Wayne family alive after Tomas and Martha were killed.
    * what really made the JSA retire, and who were the biggest heroes of the age?

I think the Big Bang event is Milestone related. Word is the legal dispute is settled and DC has been claiming to be working on the IP's for years. Using at least some of Dakota's characters would give the Golden Age some much needed racial representation, and Icon (at the very least) would be a perfect fit. The Big Bang might also be the dropping of the atomic bombs on Japan, but this is supposed to be a "undocumented" thing, and in the 1940's a black neighborhood getting powers would likely be kept quiet, if it wasn't used for propaganda.

Everyone says Terry Sloane (original Mr. Terrific) will be the hero who heel turns. Makes sense; they did it in Earth-2, it gives DC a Ozymandias style villain, and gives Michael Holt a great nemesis. But I think it's going to be a character we normally consider a villain. Black Adam; god-king of Khandaq, might have been considered a hero until the events surrounding WWII force him to cross lines and he becomes labeled a villain. Perhaps something like the Armenian genocide happens in Khandaq and Adam loses his sh*t? That keeps a Shazam character involved in DC history (Billy likely being a newer addition in this continuity I'd guess), and Adam could be exiled for a while (just like usual, if not for so long). It could also be Vandal Savage; playing the role of "hero" for a time as part of his greater plots.

The wildcards.....makes me think of WildStorm. And with Didio and Lee being driving factors in the formation of the timeline I can see them trying to integrate WS into the DCU again. DC doesn't have many "wildcards" of its own; almost everyone is firmly on the "hero" or "villain" side, and what few gray characters they have (like Red Hood and Harley) wouldn't be around in the Golden Age/Gen 1. So using some WildCATS or Authority characters wouldn't surprise me. Many of them might fit a Golden Age Task Force program maybe? Or maybe DC actually means "never before seen" and these will be all original characters.

Can't say I really care about the last two mysteries. I imagine the Court of Owls will be involved with the Wayne family stuff, or perhaps Ra's. And the JSA retiring is probably going to mirror Doomsday Clock and the HUAC hearings will be what drives them into secrecy.

Thoughts and theories?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

If Bendis is involved, I'm going to guess that Manhunter is the GA hero who becomes a villain...

WildCATS is back in continuity as of Flash #750.
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/02...erse-spoilers/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Crazy theory re: the big villain. What if they just make the Golden Age miniseries canon?

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    If Bendis is involved, I'm going to guess that Manhunter is the GA hero who becomes a villain...
    Bendis isn't writing the gen 1 one shot..

I don't think the big bang would refer to Milestone just based on the fact that the time period for many of their stories to make sense are off. Also they wouldn't age Static too much and he's the most famous product of the big bang.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    Crazy theory re: the big villain. What if they just make the Golden Age miniseries canon?
    You know what I remember about that book? Hitler's brain in Dyna man's body... and possibly one of the most unintentionally hilarious Moments it all comics.

"Im saying. Just for like an hour, we fight some crime the hire a hooker maybe" - Captain Triumphs ghost brother.

I understand that the golden age heroes have to have some future Beyond World War II, but it would be cool if most of them got a happy ending
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    I don't think the big bang would refer to Milestone just based on the fact that the time period for many of their stories to make sense are off. Also they wouldn't age Static too much and he's the most famous product of the big bang.
    That crossed my mind too. But I think some of Milestone *could* transition into the Golden Age. Icon obviously, but also Hardware, and maybe even the Blood Syndicate (I gotta admit, 40's era gangster mixed with those guys would be pretty fun).

As for Static, he could simply be a Golden Age hero and we'd get to see him grow up and (hopefully) become a big gods damn hero as time passes. Or he could be introduced later on, though that'd change his origin a bit.

I'm not saying Milestone (or WildStorm) or any of it would fit exactly as they are, but I think some parts might fit with a minimum of adjustment. Now all that said, I'd much rather Milestone remain its own setting and not be connected to the DCU at all (outside of maybe some multiverse adventures). Given how DC has treated the characters and creators I'd actually rather have Milestone not be tied to DC on any level. But that doesn't seem to be in the cards.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Not wrong there. Though I think the legal work is too much to include Milestone in this. DC doesn't really own it.

I'm fairly sure the wildcards mentioned are Wildstorm characters. It would be great for them to finally get some bigger integration beyond Midnighter (who I love). I've only ever read Authority and Gen13 so I can't be sure how well the universe will fit and who would be best in which gen.

I think this Big Bang will be tied to something that happens during WW2 that kicks starts so many golden age heroes showing up at once. Could be cosmic, could be some experiment? In Wonder Woman 750 they mentioned something going down in Death Valley. Connected?

I stopped following the "Milestone returns" stuff a long time ago (since nothing seemed to be happening and it was very frustrating), but I heard recently that the legal dispute was finished. So if that's true, then there shouldn't be anything left keeping the company and characters from finally coming back.

Just speculation on my part of course.

So, something in death valley in Wonder Woman 750? That could be the "big bang" they're talking about. I mean, it could be anything, but it could be this big bang thing.

~ Black Panther.

Not wrong there. Though I think the legal work is too much to include Milestone in this. DC doesn't really own it.
    Then why do Milestone characters show up in the Young Justice cartoon?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Then why do Milestone characters show up in the Young Justice cartoon?
    As I understand it, DC has to pay to use the Milestone characters. Since comics barely make any money, that's cash the publishing doesn't want to dish out. The cartoon has more money to throw around.

~ Black Panther.

I just wondered about something : what if the GA hero turned villain is Black Adam ?

From what I understand, in his movie, he'll be part of the JSA, right ? So perhaps he could have been awaken by them, agree to help them during the war but grew disillusioned with the world at the end of it, turning against the rest ?

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I just wondered about something : what if the GA hero turned villain is Black Adam ?

From what I understand, in his movie, he'll be part of the JSA, right ? So perhaps he could have been awaken by them, agree to help them during the war but grew disillusioned with the world at the end of it, turning against the rest ?
    Is that a rumor or is that official? That could make sense if they're going for synergy.

Is that a rumor or is that official? That could make sense if they're going for synergy.
    There’s nothing official but rumors of Hawkman and some JSA members appearing have been swirling for a while. I’m guess there will be some connection to the Black Reign storyline in JSA. Would be cool if Adam fought alongside the JSA to help defeat the Axis Powers then goes revenge/power mad and is banished by the Wizard. He returns in modern day without powers like in The Dark Age, has to regain his powers and tries to recruit some heroes like Atom Smasher and Brainwave to take back his country. Nice combination of Black Adam’s two best modern stories.

Seeing as Wonder Woman is now the first public superhero like in the movie universe, I can see DC going with some more synergy and having Adam go from hero to “villain” in Generation 1.