Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X-Men 1-4

Default X-Men 1-4

So I'm getting back into comicbooks after a several year hiatus. I've caught up on X-Men 1-4 and have all the new mutants coming.

Some questions:

What is this alien code I keep seeing on the black and white pages? It keeps getting longer the more I read.

In the first couple pages it gives headshots of mutants. I thought this was which mutants are/will be in that comicbook. But it changes with each comicbook. So what is it's real purpose?

On issue #1 there is a 3 digit number lgy on the cover. What does that mean?

The island is alive and it eats mutants? Really? I mean come on. So weird.

Some bad guys become good, some good guys become bad. I get that. But making Apocalypse and Sinister good? Really? I mean, "evil" is literally their name.

Why aren't they calling Jean gray marvel girl if that is the suit she is going to wear?

The council seated around the table has two empty chairs. One I assume is cyclops (he is standing) but who does the other empty seat belong to?

Why is cable young now? Doesn't that defeat the point of the story line of him being a time traveler?

How many krakoan islands are there? Or is there just one and the other places are not krakoa, just outposts?

How can professor x walk now?

Is the Dr Lady a mutant or a human? What is her power?

What conflict happened? It was like they expected the reader to know and I was missing a page or something.

Was apocalypse planning a secret mission like to sabotage everything or was he working on behalf of the council? I couldn't quite tell because I don't know if he is actually good now or just playing good guy.
    Last edited by TedderX; 01-23-2020 at 01:25 AM.

You should have read House of x / Powers of X before reading any X-Men.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TedderX View Post
    So I'm getting back into comicbooks after a several year hiatus. I've caught up on X-Men 1-4 and have all the new mutants coming.

Some questions:

What is this alien code I keep seeing on the black and white pages? It keeps getting longer the more I read.

In the first couple pages it gives headshots of mutants. I thought this was which mutants are/will be in that comicbook. But it changes with each comicbook. So what is it's real purpose?

On issue #1 there is a 3 digit number lgy on the cover. What does that mean?

The island is alive and it eats mutants? Really? I mean come on. So weird.

Some bad guys become good, some good guys become bad. I get that. But making Apocalypse and Sinister good? Really? I mean, "evil" is literally their name.

Why aren't they calling Jean gray marvel girl if that is the suit she is going to wear?

The council seated around the table has two empty chairs. One I assume is cyclops (he is standing) but who does the other empty seat belong to?

Why is cable young now? Doesn't that defeat the point of the story line of him being a time traveler?

How many krakoan islands are there? Or is there just one and the other places are not krakoa, just outposts?

How can professor x walk now?

Is the Dr Lady a mutant or a human? What is her power?

What conflict happened? It was like they expected the reader to know and I was missing a page or something.

Was apocalypse planning a secret mission like to sabotage everything or was he working on behalf of the council? I couldn't quite tell because I don't know if he is actually good now or just playing good guy.
    What? Oh man please go back and read HoX/PoX its one of the best X-Men books and really answers most of your questions. X-men and the other Dawn of X books spin out of what happens in House of X/ Powers of X I can only imagine your confusion if you've jumped into this without reading that story first.

Everything will make sense if you read House of X and Powers of X 1st.

The Cable thing is from Extermination. spoilers:
    Kid Cable killed Older and cooler Cable and took his place.
    end of spoilers
    “Fleeing through the labyrinths with the hordes of the living dead fast upon them;
    Once again they found themselves trapped in front of the abyss.”

Quote Originally Posted by Rufio View Post
    The Cable thing is from Extermination. spoilers:
    Kid Cable killed Older and cooler Cable and took his place.
    end of spoilers
    Thank you. Is kid cable the same as cool cable?

Thank you. Is kid cable the same as cool cable?
    Zoomer Cable is Boomer Cable but young. It doesn’t make any sense, but it doesn’t need to because time travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    Zoomer Cable is Boomer Cable but young. It doesn’t make any sense, but it doesn’t need to because time travel.
    Yeah, that! Also,TedderX, the Doctor Lady I’m thinking you’re referring to is Celina Reyes.

And the LGY refers to legacy numbering. So if we were on the first volume still, I’d (supposedly) be that number.
    Last edited by Rufio; 01-23-2020 at 09:44 PM.
    “Fleeing through the labyrinths with the hordes of the living dead fast upon them;
    Once again they found themselves trapped in front of the abyss.”

Ok. I've read HoX/PoX, all in one sitting. It was a little complicated (back and forth on the timeline) but I loved it! I thought the writers did a really good job.

I loved seeing Tempus again.

I love seeing the 90's cartoon inspired/recreated forms of uniforms and bodies.

I loved that (I felt) they kept the personalities of the 90's cartoons.

I've always known Moira to be human but I loved the character. I'm glad to see she actually was a mutant. I always wondered what her power would be if she was ever wrote that way.

These questions still stand:

How can professor x walk now? (Better explanation: part of the theme of X-Men was diversity. Professor x was the disability guy. It seems kinda bad they're not represented now, like it's lost part of it's character/origin. I don't think the real disabled readers would appreciate this.)
    And onto new questions:

Is the black and white pages with the funny codes like this "[ kra ] [ koa] " meant to be what it is like inside the latest Cerebro?

Will Sabretooth ever come back? I like that mutant. He's a "good" bad guy.

Krakoa falls in 30 years, so why are they writing that story now? In fact, why not totally change the story since we know that even in X4 (thousand years) mutantdom fails anyways?

There's still two missing seats on the council. Has the White Queen announced the Red Queen yet? Who did the other one belong to but is gone and where?

What was with the green Magneto? I didn't catch it. Is the tree guy in they same picture of four mutants Groot?

If mutants came from humans, how can Apocalypse, and Krakoa (I forget the name of the original before it split) be in the beginning before humans?

I didn't really understand Moira Life 6. Can someone explain that better? She didn't die in Life 9, did she?

Is the Librarian a mutant?

Who is the most powerful mutant now? Is it the Librarian? Phalanx isn't a mutant so it doesn't count. Is it Moira? That ability seems awfully powerful to me. Professor X may the most powerful, it seems fitting his love would surpass him.

Traditionally it's been humans vs. good mutants vs. bad mutants. Now it's humans vs. mutants. Even though we know mutants lose, how do you think this new story line will be? Seems a little odd not having powerful bad mutants. That was always part of the fun/fascination for me.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Many of those questions are explained in the data pages. Did you read the black & white pages with all the writing? Because those are going to give extra details that won't be covered just reading from panel to panel.

Hickman is the type of writer with very detailed stories, and sometimes everything can't be covered on-panel. So he uses data pages to fill in the blanks and keep the story moving.

Far as Jobbertooth coming back, we don't know. He may be back. Then again, he may not be (until Hickman's run on the X-Books is over). Nobody really knows s right now & I doubt many X-fans are clambering for him, so that's probably not a big element to give major focus anytime soon.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 01-30-2020 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    Sorry to just pop in but *sniff* I love looking at this

He's their boy that they raised in the future..

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Far as Jobbertooth coming back, we don't know.
    I live for you. And yes, sink into those data pages, Tedder.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Many of those questions are explained in the data pages. Did you read the black & white pages with all the writing? Because those are going to give extra details that won't be covered just reading from panel to panel.

Hickman is the type of writer with very detailed stories, and sometimes everything can't be covered on-panel. So he uses data pages to fill in the blanks and keep the story moving.

Far as Jobbertooth coming back, we don't know. He may be back. Then again, he may not be (until Hickman's run on the X-Books is over). Nobody really knows s right now & I doubt many X-fans are clambering for him, so that's probably not a big element to give major focus anytime soon.
    Yes, I read the data pages. I read literally everything cover to cover.

I guess I'm just not understanding everything so I'm looking for conversation about it.

Yes, I read the data pages. I read literally everything cover to cover.

I guess I'm just not understanding everything so I'm looking for conversation about it.
    Seeing thats' its Hickman and its a dense read, I'd recommend reading it again. I'm not coming at you personally that's just a statement that applies to anyone reading HOX/POX. I really don't think you'll pick up everything in one sitting. Don't have time to answer all your questions, but Krakoa falling in 30 years is just one of Moira's timelines(life 9 I believe). Its not the current one.

Did you check out The infographic on Moira's timelines? Its good to look that over as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chessboxer View Post
    Seeing thats' its Hickman and its a dense read, I'd recommend reading it again. I'm not coming at you personally that's just a statement that applies to anyone reading HOX/POX. I really don't think you'll pick up everything in one sitting. Don't have time to answer all your questions, but Krakoa falling in 30 years is just one of Moira's timelines(life 9 I believe). Its not the current one.

Did you check out The infographic on Moira's timelines? Its good to look that over as well.

I can assure you, no where in hox/pox does it say why professor x is walking.