Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Are current DC titles takes place in 1998?

It was revealed in wonder woman 750 that she debuted in 1939 which means the Gen 1 era began then and looking at the new timeline which spans about 60 years will mean that the current DC universe takes place in 1998.

How do you think DC will explain how modern technology like smartphones and cars and a lot of things were existing already in the 90s?

They should expand their timeline. It's not as if they hadn't had several multiverse-affecting event to handwave the relative young age of the main characters.

Quote Originally Posted by LP22 View Post
    It was revealed in wonder woman 750 that she debuted in 1939 which means the Gen 1 era began then and looking at the new timeline which spans about 60 years will mean that the current DC universe takes place in 1998.

How do you think DC will explain how modern technology like smartphones and cars and a lot of things were existing already in the 90s?
    The same way heroes only used to use landline phones and Superman hoisted a '37 DeSoto over his head and Lois Lane used to wear a pillbox hat with white gloves....

also - Metaverse!

I think things like Mister Terrific, STAR Labs (who created Cyborg), Ray Palmer, and Lex Luthor, explain the advanced tech. They're simply ahead of their time.

And yes, it is the 90s in the DC universe. Action Comics says that their version of Twitter (which they use as a recap page) has been around since at least 1984, instead of 2006. They're around 22 years behind the real world.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 01-23-2020 at 09:26 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'm just planning on ignoring ridiculous stuff like "timelines of the entire shared universe of DC Comics". When that stuff starts actually affecting the books I read, I'll drop off.

One of my favourite stories from recent years was Aquaman's showdown with President Obama's administration when war between the US and Atlantis was about to happen.

I like seeing real world topics addressed on the large canvas of these larger than life characters. Obviously the real meat of that story is the US attempt to assault a sovereign nation and depose of their leader, just told using Aquaman and Atlantis.

If you take away the real world tapestry for these fantasy characters to adventure across, it does a big ole disservice.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 01-23-2020 at 10:05 AM.

Well, the timeline thing they revealed had her debut two years before the JSA formed and four years before they got involved in WWII.
    So, 1939 sounds about right.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Yeah, the main theory is that super geniuses like Lex Luthor and whoever else (Palmer, Knight, Stein, etc,) are responsible for the DCU advancing at a faster rate than the real world.

It's an idea I've wanted to see implemented for a long time (at least in an Elseworlds or something). If heroes and aliens and magic and all of that has been around since the early 40's it only makes sense that after the better part of a century that stuff would've trickled down into the every day lives of normal people and their modern day would be far more advanced than our own.

Of course, I never wanted to use that idea just so the DCU could be twenty years behind us in its timeline while having modern technology, but.....well I don't work at DC.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Eh, doing it this way avoids Zeerust. Note how wrong Back to the Future 2's 2015 was. They didn't predict the Internet and thought we'd still be using fax machines.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Does this mean the rest of us also get to go back to 1998? I have a feeling that they will move up the timeline as needed. The one they rolled out at SDCC might just be in the early stages. When the JSA comes back we may get to see a more updated timeline.
    Assassinate Putin!

DC has always stated the years in which the Golden Age started over the years (usually between 1939-to-1941) they’ve always used a sliding timescale (just like Marvel does) for their modern characters to bring their modern characters to whatever is the current date. That said, the whole 5G thing is rumoured to be different this time though.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I'm just planning on ignoring ridiculous stuff like "timelines of the entire shared universe of DC Comics". When that stuff starts actually affecting the books I read, I'll drop off.

One of my favourite stories from recent years was Aquaman's showdown with President Obama's administration when war between the US and Atlantis was about to happen.

I like seeing real world topics addressed on the large canvas of these larger than life characters. Obviously the real meat of that story is the US attempt to assault a sovereign nation and depose of their leader, just told using Aquaman and Atlantis.

If you take away the real world tapestry for these fantasy characters to adventure across, it does a big ole disservice.

That is so true.

Which is why 2000 up to 2002(?) were the worst years for the DC UNIVERSE.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

No, it takes place in the current year.

The New DC Timeline they posted a while back mentioned that there's Real-Time, which is the real historic time, and Lapsed Time, which is the time that happens in the comic. So even if the date in the comic says 1938, for the characters in the comics it only took around 60 years to reach 2020.

No, don't ask me further. I don't know how that works, but that's what they said.

Action Comics proves that wrong. Chirper existed in the 1980s? Why? Because they're 22 years ahead of the present in the real world. When was the last time the current year was mentioned? Probably before any of the 5G hints started.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Eh, doing it this way avoids Zeerust. Note how wrong Back to the Future 2's 2015 was. They didn't predict the Internet and thought we'd still be using fax machines.
    True, but the DCU is not supposed to be the real world so it avoids that complication. If the DC future looks different from the real world, well, it's not the real world; it's a place with flying aliens who have laser eyes.

This would push the DCU entirely into the realm of science fantasy, and have as little in common with reality as Lord of the Rings or John Carter or Star Trek.....but I don't believe the DCU actually has to resemble the real world either.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member

Alien technology. Times travel machines. Lasers. Faster than Light travel. Inter dimensional portal tech. Etc. With this tech they should be in the 1000th century. Cell phones existed in the 90’s already. They were just the size of a brick.