Spectacular Member

Default Will Steve still be Cap after issue 25, or when the series is relaunched

It seems like a year of Steve as Cap is all we’ve been getting lately, and I’m seriously wondering what role Peggy Carter will play once she reveals herself. Any thoughts on her role, and the future of Cap?

I certainly hope he will as I personally have zero desire to see anyone else in the role for a good long while. Moreover Cebulski recently promised no more frivolous deaths. Secondly Steve is one of the very few characters who still sells. Not many characters, even MCU ones, can claim that these days. Thirdly it hasn’t been that long since we got him back (it was at least four years between Bucky and Sam). Fourthly it’s too risky to do that now when monthly serials are in danger of going the way of Blockbuster or Radioshack, and lastly Steve, as Cap, simply sells better than anyone, including Bucky, who has replaced him, really don’t think Marvel will risk it (see charts on how Manga and graphic novels sell better than superheroes these days).

No reason to have Steve drop the mantle again. I can see them giving Falcon another run as Cap, because he has the shield in the MCU now - but Sam would be working alongside Steve, not replacing him, if they do.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Steve dropped his mantle in favor of a black Captain America, maybe he will drop the mantle again in favor of a female Captain America. After all, we have a female Thor and a female Iron Man (or should be Iron woman)

Two female Iron Men, but yeah, they both have unique codenames (Rescue and Ironheart) - the actual replacement Iron Man was Doctor Doom. Female Cap has been done four times recently as well (Samantha Wilson in Spider-Gwen, Peggy Carter in Saladin Ahmed's Exiles, a time travelling Danielle Cage in Al Ewing's Avengers books, and Roberta Mendez in the ANAD era Spider-Man 2099) - they just all happen to be alternate universe.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 01-24-2020 at 03:57 AM.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Two female Iron Men, but yeah, they both have unique codenames (Rescue and Ironheart) - the actual replacement Iron Man was Doctor Doom. Female Cap has been done four times recently as well (Samantha Wilson in Spider-Gwen, Peggy Carter in Saladin Ahmed's Exiles, a time travelling Danielle Cage in Al Ewing's Avengers books, and Roberta Mendez in the ANAD era Spider-Man 2099) - they just all happen to be alternate universe.
    I know that you said recently, but don’t forget about Shannon Carter/American Dream of the MC-2 universe too.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    I certainly hope he will as I personally have zero desire to see anyone else in the role for a good long while. Moreover Cebulski recently promised no more frivolous deaths. Secondly Steve is one of the very few characters who still sells. Not many characters, even MCU ones, can claim that these days. Thirdly it hasn’t been that long since we got him back (it was at least four years between Bucky and Sam). Fourthly it’s too risky to do that now when monthly serials are in danger of going the way of Blockbuster or Radioshack, and lastly Steve, as Cap, simply sells better than anyone, including Bucky, who has replaced him, really don’t think Marvel will risk it (see charts on how Manga and graphic novels sell better than superheroes these days).
    I thought Immortal Hulk was selling well too. Is it not ?

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    And don't forget that Rhodey was the first black Iron Man.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

I know, but that was in the 1980s! I only mentioned the ANAD era ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    I thought Immortal Hulk was selling well too. Is it not ?
    Yes, Immortal Hulk is selling well. If you look closely at what I said I stated that Steve is "one of the very few" implying that there are a few other characters who have managed to hold on to their sales too despite the uphill battle superhero comics are currently facing, sale-wise (as of November of 2019, it was reported that superheroes only make up 10% of sales of the comic media, with YA authors like the Raina Telgemeier graphic novels and Manga outselling them).

If you look at direct market sales for the past six months, only these few solo characters (I'm not counting group titles like the X-Men or the F4 or the Avengers) have managed to keep their ongoings above the 20k threshold past the first few issues of a run:

Peter Parker (no surprise there)
    Venom
    Bruce Banner
    Thor
    Steve Rogers
    Tony Stark
    Carol Danvers
    Matt Murdock
    Miles Morales
    Felicia Hardy
    Valkyrie Jane Foster (barely, her last comic, issue #6, was just over 20k at 20,342 issues for December 2019)

That's *it*. Everyone else peters off after the third or fourth issue. Even big names like Dr. Strange, Black Panther, Black Widow. etc. are struggling to hold their sales. I have hope that Kelly Thompson can turn that around for Widow (I certainly plan on subscribing), but they had Mark Waid on her once, and Chris Samnee, who is frankly, the BEST, and not even that run could sell and it was phenomenal. In fact USA Today had an article that read something like "The comic everyone should be reading but no one is" (paraphrasing) about it, to no avail, it still ended with crap sales.

So my point is this, Steve Rogers is a sure thing. He sells and Marvel needs sales. We *just* got him back. And half of that time he hasn't even held the mantle of Cap, he is currently in the Commander Rogers uniform trying to restore his good name following Secret Empire. I, for one, would be PISSED if they took the mantle away from Steve right now, especially as the April solicits just indicated he's going to finally be Cap again.

That said, re: Digifiend's suggestion, I wouldn't mind two, simultaneous, Cap titles. Why not.
    Last edited by capandkirby; 01-24-2020 at 09:23 AM.

I'd like to think Marvel isn't in another rush for replacement storylines.

A black Captain America? Check.
    A black Iron Man? check.
    A black Spider-Man? Check. Although Miles is also half-Hispanic, i think.

What about a black Thor? All of the Thor incarnations except Beta Ray Bill are white. Eric Masterson. Jane Foster.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    A black Captain America? Check.
    A black Iron Man? check.
    A black Spider-Man? Check. Although Miles is also half-Hispanic, i think.

What about a black Thor? All of the Thor incarnations except Beta Ray Bill are white. Eric Masterson. Jane Foster.
    Technically, you get that last one in the upcoming Avengers of the Wastelands spinning out of Dead Man Logan. That universe's version of Dani Cage, who turns out to be worthy to wield Mjolnir.
    The spider is always on the hunt.