Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

I love that Dani is one of the most recognizable Valkyrie in the mU

New Dani pics from Bill Sienkiewicz from the anniversary special: https://www.cbr.com/x-men-new-mutant...easer-revival/

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    When did Warren's parents die? I remember them visiting the school at one point in the original run.

I like James and Dani. There was a spark there at that Hellfire dance back in the day. I think they have a lot in common while there still being enough contrast for drama.
    His father was murdered in Ka-Zar, of all places when the X-men were disbanded (around X-men #46). His mother was murdered during X-men: The Hidden Years.

I'm just not seeing the drama, yet. Ayala may convince me otherwise, if they choose to go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by rf2044 View Post
    I don't think the character in the movie resembled Dani from the comics [personality wise] much at all -- so I don't see there being too much bleed over into the comics. She showed some toughness early on in the film, standing up to Illyana bullying her a bit, but then was basically a damsel in distress until the very end. The performance was fine, the actress was fine, but it wasn't vintage Dani.

Agree about the teaching arc in Dani's story -- it was strange, but I think that was when she had initially lost her powers, and they weren't sure what to do with her.
    Yeah, that's what I've heard about her role in the movie. It killed my interest in seeing it.

Dani's powers were weakening during her time as a teacher, but M-Day happened before we found out why. Emma Frost fired Dani immediately after M-Day.

Quote Originally Posted by norj View Post
    Dani's grandfather was a shaman so they probably thought her powers were magical in origin and had him train her, only for him to realize to later that Dani was a mutant, that's when he contacted Xavier. As for Dani not knowing who Xavier was, do you know all of your parents friends including the ones who haven't been around since you where born?
    I know everyone (minus some of the hospital staff) who was important enough to be there when I was born, and I know everyone invited to my baptism. If Xavier was important enough to fly in at the time Dani was named, I would think her parents would have mentioned him. Maybe she just didn't recognize him when he actually showed up. I'll have to reread, when I get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    It's a good time to be a Dani fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    Dani's powers were weakening during her time as a teacher, but M-Day happened before we found out why. Emma Frost fired Dani immediately after M-Day.

Dani's powers got reset back to basics after she gave up her quantum abilities to save the multi-verse.
    There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
    There is no fear, there is power.
    I am the heart of the Force.
    I am the revealing fire of light.
    I am the mystery of darkness.
    In balance with chaos and harmony,
    Immortal in the Force.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

It's wonderful seeing Moonstar in the spotlight. Hopefully this trend will continue.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Vita write Dani again, but I do wish she could move beyond the New Mutants. Mirage really should be in the big leagues by now IMO, and interacting with characters like Cyclops and Storm. While it wouldn't amount to much, I'd love to see Dani take Jean's spot on the Council. The scenes are fleeting, but it'd be great seeing Moonstar interacting with that group.

It's a good time to be a Dani fan.

Agree 100%. That's why I stated in an earlier post that as disappointing at the New Mutants film was, I think it may have resurrected Danielle Moonstar off of the scrap heap, and made her front of mind for both the fanbase and writers. Between this, being featured in Indigenous Voices, and the Shadow King upcoming story, she's getting a lot of leading lady run -- and deservedly so.

Recently, I've gotten back into comics and have been catching up with Dani over the years. She's really been kind of forgotten for a long time -- it was nice to see her back to her ass-kicking self in volume 3 of the New Mutants, then Fearless Defenders, but then she kind of disappeared again until NM volume 4.

I might have that wrong -- I welcome input on that, and would add anything I missed to my "to do" list.
    Last edited by rf2044; 11-30-2020 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by norj View Post
    Dani's powers got reset back to basics after she gave up her quantum abilities to save the multi-verse.
    Did they say that? I don't remember. Makes sense, though. I know it was said she was concerned about her powers in the New X-men Yearbook.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    It's wonderful seeing Moonstar in the spotlight. Hopefully this trend will continue.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Vita write Dani again, but I do wish she could move beyond the New Mutants. Mirage really should be in the big leagues by now IMO, and interacting with characters like Cyclops and Storm. While it wouldn't amount to much, I'd love to see Dani take Jean's spot on the Council. The scenes are fleeting, but it'd be great seeing Moonstar interacting with that group.
    That might be hard on my pocket book. The council can show up in anywhere. It would be interesting, though.

Recently, I've gotten back into comics and have been catching up with Dani over the years. She's really been kind of forgotten for a long time -- it was nice to see her back to her ass-kicking self in volume 3 of the New Mutants, then Fearless Defenders, but then she kind of disappeared again until NM volume 4.

I might have that wrong -- I welcome input on that, and would add anything I missed to my "to do" list.
    Pretty much. She made a minor appearance or two in Gen X, but that was about it until she was in Uncanny X-men and Prisoner X during Age of X-man. It was a dark time.

Did they say that? I don't remember. Makes sense, though. I know it was said she was concerned about her powers in the New X-men Yearbook.

That might be hard on my pocket book. The council can show up in anywhere. It would be interesting, though.

Pretty much. She made a minor appearance or two in Gen X, but that was about it until she was in Uncanny X-men and Prisoner X during Age of X-man. It was a dark time.
    She made minor appearances in X-men Gold as well

Seems so odd to me -- she was basically the most important character on the New Mutants, then they seemed to write her off to stay in Asgard. Then, she's gone for 4 or 5 years, before popping back up in X-Force as a member of the MLF. Then she's back for awhile, but disappears again when she got depowered. Then she had a resurgence in 2012 [New Mutants Volume 3] and 2013 [Fearless Defenders], only to disappear again [outside of the minor appearances you mention].

Very strange for someone who is a figural character on an X-team with tons of history.

Seems so odd to me -- she was basically the most important character on the New Mutants, then they seemed to write her off to stay in Asgard. Then, she's gone for 4 or 5 years, before popping back up in X-Force as a member of the MLF. Then she's back for awhile, but disappears again when she got depowered. Then she had a resurgence in 2012 [New Mutants Volume 3] and 2013 [Fearless Defenders], only to disappear again [outside of the minor appearances you mention].

Very strange for someone who is a figural character on an X-team with tons of history.
    That was like 35 years ago. Dani's utilization in present day shouldnt be too surprising considering how sporadic she's been used since the 90s

She should never have been depowered on M-Day. At least not for so long. Now that she's got her powers back, writers are interested again.

Mighty Member

Her not being used despite her enormous potential is not because she was depowered, but because let's keep it real, Marvel can barely show respect to Storm (who they badly use anytime they want to brag about "diversity") much less the other female heroes of color. Yes, it seems it's finally changing but still.

Most writers being straight white males means only females that get respect are the Emma/Magik types and that's because they're "masculine, privileged and white" themselves. It's stereotypically more difficult for them to understand what life is like for the "minorities" (the secret to writing good female characters is to write them the same way you'd write a male. Yes there'll be differences but they both go through the same arcs at the end).

The straight guys I've dealt with, have an easier time understanding being gay than understanding women.
    Last edited by RamaBird; 11-30-2020 at 02:50 PM.

Yeah, your probably right. It's probably why she was depowered, and I've long suspected it's why she got written out right when Liefeld came on board New Mutants.

Mighty Member

Yep, the New Mutants cast is so rich and diverse yet the only one who's gotten development is Magik. I know Sunspot got some development recently but that was in an Avengers book. Even Emma has been badly written prior to Hickman (she was included a lot as "female diversity" but always as the hot mustache twirling crazy sex villain aka a male fantasy).

Personally, I think Magik, Sunspot and Dani should all be A-list if they got the respect they derseive. Only Magik has gotten that.

Also, about Dani being Bi, I totally see that. I think characters with "earth/nature/spiritual" based powers make sense to me as having more fluid sexualities. With that said, I don't want to see her with any of the New Mutants romantically. Wolfsbane and Karma should remain as sisters.
    Last edited by RamaBird; 11-30-2020 at 03:19 PM.

I agree with all of that. Dani and Berto really ought to be on another x-title. Wouldn't be surprised if Berto ends up in Sword, but Dani seems stuck.