Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

I see a lot of pairing Dani up with Karma or Illyana.

In the upcoming New Mutants book, her love interest could be either one of them or Warpath.

I shipped Dani with James hard when I was a kid, so I can't object to that. Right now, I'd really like to see her with Warren, but that seems unlikely at the moment. Illyana or Shan would be okay, but I'd rather see those two with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    In the New Mutants GN, Xavier said he was there when Dani was named. He and William Lonestar were in the army together and Black Eagle became Xavier's mentor (presumably) afterwards. Why Dani didn't know who he was is a bit of a mystery. Her powers showed up before her parents "deaths", so you'd think they'd have contacted Xavier.
    Ah, nice detail. I must have overlooked that. That would have been Brood-Xavier speaking; perhaps they were being deceptive? Kinda hard to nail down the math precisely, but Dani is roughly the same age as David Haller, maybe a year or so younger. Which means she would have been born about the same time Charles was in Asia(between Israel, the mountains with Lucifer and Tessa, or recovering in India with Vought).
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Mighty Member

Please I hope they don’t try and follow that crappy movie and pair up Dani with Rahne. As a gay man I’m tired of everyone trying to turn every character gay or bi just for whatever reason. Loving all the LGBTQ+ representation we are finally getting, but every female character doesn’t have to be bi. Women and Men. An share a love and closeness without feeling sexual attraction. I rather see the deep and platonic love Dani and Rahne have then turning it into a romantic love.

I always liked the pairing of Dani and James and wouldn’t be opposed to two strong, proud Native American warriors being a power couple on Krakoa. Other than James, I dunno. I always saw her and Sam as a couple because of their strength in leading the New Mutants and their brief attraction to each other.

Though I would like to see her friendship with Forearm.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    Please I hope they don’t try and follow that crappy movie and pair up Dani with Rahne. As a gay man I’m tired of everyone trying to turn every character gay or bi just for whatever reason. Loving all the LGBTQ+ representation we are finally getting, but every female character doesn’t have to be bi. Women and Men. An share a love and closeness without feeling sexual attraction. I rather see the deep and platonic love Dani and Rahne have then turning it into a romantic love.

I always liked the pairing of Dani and James and wouldn’t be opposed to two strong, proud Native American warriors being a power couple on Krakoa. Other than James, I dunno. I always saw her and Sam as a couple because of their strength in leading the New Mutants and their brief attraction to each other.

I could not agree with you more.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Ah, nice detail. I must have overlooked that. That would have been Brood-Xavier speaking; perhaps they were being deceptive? Kinda hard to nail down the math precisely, but Dani is roughly the same age as David Haller, maybe a year or so younger. Which means she would have been born about the same time Charles was in Asia(between Israel, the mountains with Lucifer and Tessa, or recovering in India with Vought).
    I thought Legion was about two years older than Dani, physically at least. I think Dani's birth and Black Eagle's mentorship must have happened shortly after Xavier came back to the US, but that's putting Dani's birth pretty late on the sliding time scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    I don't disagree. I think fans sometimes undervalue the importance of friendship in fiction.

I think Dani and James could work with the right writer/story but I can't quite see it, at the moment. Zeb Wells had an amazing run on New Mutants, but he made me hate Sam. He was just so disrespectful towards Dani (and of course Dani reacted in kind) that their hookup made me cringe. I'm glad Sam's married now.

I still say Archangel. Both are angels of death, have identity issues (albeit different kinds), have had their powers messed with, lost their parents young (Dani thought hers were dead), love the Colorado Rockies... Coming from different ends of the privilege spectrum could make for some interesting conflicts and explorations.

I never really gave a damn about him. Has he been seen on Krakoa? I'm behind on current issues.

Mighty Member

I thought Legion was about two years older than Dani, physically at least. I think Dani's birth and Black Eagle's mentorship must have happened shortly after Xavier came back to the US, but that's putting Dani's birth pretty late on the sliding time scale.

I don't disagree. I think fans sometimes undervalue the importance of friendship in fiction.

I think Dani and James could work with the right writer/story but I can't quite see it, at the moment. Zeb Wells had an amazing run on New Mutants, but he made me hate Sam. He was just so disrespectful towards Dani (and of course Dani reacted in kind) that their hookup made me cringe. I'm glad Sam's married now.

I still say Archangel. Both are angels of death, have identity issues (albeit different kinds), have had their powers messed with, lost their parents young (Dani thought hers were dead), love the Colorado Rockies... Coming from different ends of the privilege spectrum could make for some interesting conflicts and explorations.

I never really gave a damn about him. Has he been seen on Krakoa? I'm behind on current issues.
    Have Dani and Warren ever really interacted at all?
    Yes he’s on Krakoa. He’s been in New Mutants in a few panels when they needed Wildside.

LOL No, Dani and Warren haven't interacted, even when they should. They've been in the same scenes several times, sometimes in the same panel, but the seem to be avoiding each other. It becomes a bit of a joke for me to track these instances. With the Empyre mini, I'm up to six.

When did Warren's parents die? I remember them visiting the school at one point in the original run.

I like James and Dani. There was a spark there at that Hellfire dance back in the day. I think they have a lot in common while there still being enough contrast for drama.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Dani x Karma is a surprise for me. It's not a pairing I really ever thought about, but I could be into it.

I've always been invested in Karma x Kitty, but I can adapt lol.

Thanks, that's not too far away.

Strange to see her in the earliest version of her Valkyrie outfit after all this time. Maybe it's just for the cover.

As long as it doesn't effect her character in the comics too much. I have no interest in seeing the movie because it doesn't sound like Dani's in character at all.

Good article. I've always thought Dani's teaching role was a little strange, though. Maybe it was the writing during that run, she seemed to lose some of her spirit. I mean, I get that they were trying to show her more mature, but something was just missing.

I don't think the character in the movie resembled Dani from the comics [personality wise] much at all -- so I don't see there being too much bleed over into the comics. She showed some toughness early on in the film, standing up to Illyana bullying her a bit, but then was basically a damsel in distress until the very end. The performance was fine, the actress was fine, but it wasn't vintage Dani.

Agree about the teaching arc in Dani's story -- it was strange, but I think that was when she had initially lost her powers, and they weren't sure what to do with her.

This has got me thinking. Dani fans, when did she become a favorite of yours?

I started reading New Mutants with issues #54 of the original series. By the time #56 came out, she was my favourite x-character, rivaled only but Rogue.
    Moonstar became one of my favorites right from when I began reading the original series [way after it was originally published]. Right from the jump, Dani seemed different than any comic book characters I'd read before -- she was angry, she was defiant, and she had a backbone. The first 10 issues or so, she was BY FAR the main character, even when the stories didn't focus exclusively on her. She was also scared of her powers, which gave her a dimension that was different from other comic books. But there were several instances in the first couple of NM issues where she overtly stood up to Xavier -- I mean, she told him off, she didn't blindly follow his orders, etc. And this was at a time when Xavier was a beloved good guy and the undisputed mentor -- but she didn't implicitly trust him just because of that, or because he was older / an adult, or because he was in a position of authority. It showed backbone, it showed character, and it showed how stubborn she was. And from there, I was hooked.

I loved her being the ass-kicker she developed into. I think my favorite Dani moments were when she lost her powers but fought Legion [volume 3 of NM], or when she killed Loca. That's how I picture Dani in my mind.

My least favorite was her role in the Fearless Defenders. Dani being relegated to solely being a backup character just doesn't work for me -- sloppy writing, IMO.
    Last edited by rf2044; 11-30-2020 at 09:17 AM.

In the New Mutants GN, Xavier said he was there when Dani was named. He and William Lonestar were in the army together and Black Eagle became Xavier's mentor (presumably) afterwards. Why Dani didn't know who he was is a bit of a mystery. Her powers showed up before her parents "deaths", so you'd think they'd have contacted Xavier.
    Dani's grandfather was a shaman so they probably thought her powers were magical in origin and had him train her, only for him to realize to later that Dani was a mutant, that's when he contacted Xavier. As for Dani not knowing who Xavier was, do you know all of your parents friends including the ones who haven't been around since you where born?
    There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
    There is no fear, there is power.
    I am the heart of the Force.
    I am the revealing fire of light.
    I am the mystery of darkness.
    In balance with chaos and harmony,
    Immortal in the Force.

This has got me thinking. Dani fans, when did she become a favorite of yours?

I started reading New Mutants with issues #54 of the original series. By the time #56 came out, she was my favourite x-character, rivaled only but Rogue.
    One of my first comic book runs was the Jeph Loeb & Adam Pollina Road Trip era of X-Force, and I feel in love with Dani then. That is the version I reference anytime I draw her. That's also when I came to appreciate the relationship she has with Warpath. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing them interact in Vita Ayala's New Mutants run.

I would love if James and Dani started getting closer without really knowing if it's going in a romantic direction or not. Then Risque pops up, makes things very complicated and messy (probably by seducing both of them) and then promptly disappears back to comic book limbo, leaving them to pick up the pieces afterward.

Side note: I wouldn't mind seeing Dani hooking up with the Valkyrie that was in Exiles who is basically a tall buff Tessa Thompson