Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Hi all -- glad I found this appreciation thread, because Dani Moonstar is AWESOME!!! Took me awhile to read through the other Moonstar appreciation threads, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so.

I'm kind of surprised by how underutilized she's been across the various X-titles. Dating back to her original run in New Mutants, she was by far the most interesting, dynamic, and complex member. She was the focal point of the first 20 issues or so [more or less], and her personality / attitude really stood out amongst the rest of the team. I'm not remotely surprised that she ascended to being the team leader, etc.

The problem for her is that Marvel has shifted away from the pattern of the 80s / 90s of having super teams battle other super teams / menaces, to putting them in cosmic level scenarios against nearly impossible odds. Under those circumstances, it is tough to be a superhero with powers that don't deal a lot of damage in combat, and aren't easy for readers to wrap their heads around. I wonder if that's why they initially made her a Valkyrie -- to power her up.

But then the writers got in the trap of not knowing what to do with her, and she went from being a prominent butt-kicker who led various New Mutants / X-Force / X-Men teams to being an afterthought. Which is really too bad, because she's still by far the most interesting New Mutant.

Speaking of that, I know that this is a couple of months back now, but I was very disappointed in the New Mutants movie overall. Great cast, and I had no issue with Blu Hunt as Dani -- but if I didn't know about the New Mutants and their powers from the comics, I would have had no idea what was going on. Very disappointing overall, but if nothing else it may have launched Dani back into prominence since she was the main character and the primary focal point of the movie -- seems like the long buildup to the movie got her back in the comic "mainstream."

Picture1.jpg
    Last edited by rf2044; 11-24-2020 at 08:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TraneTrax View Post
    Attachment 102199

"The special will feature art by Brett Booth, Bill Sienkiewicz, and more in a new story featuring Dani Moonstar who is drafted for a mission across time and space for an incredible psychic showdown against the Shadow King."
    When does this come out? So nice to see Dani getting some focus.

I really loved the issue, and I thought the writer did a great job of showing Dani as the multi-faceted badass she is. And based on the preview for the upcoming New Mutants, her illusion powers are going to be expanding as well

Her arrow powers still confuse me. She uses one to knock a gun out of someone's hand, but that may have been a coloring mistake since she was carrying a real bow and arrow earlier in the issue.
    I thought Dani's story was great. I'm really glad to see Dani's animal empathy back. The artist was interviewed about the story on CTV's Your Morning (a Canadian national show) this morning: this-previously-homeless-artist-has-just-been-hired-by-marvel and they mentioned Dani and showed some pages.

As for her arrows, the writers have been all over the map about what she can so with them and whether she needs a real bow or cam just use a psychic one. I wish they still just made people experience their worst fears, but they are more versatile if they can do physical damage.

Thanks for sharing that interview, he has an inspiring story, and it's cool his Dani story is getting national attention.

The Chris Claremont story featuring Moonstar comes out on Dec 16th, according to the story I read https://aiptcomics.com/2020/11/10/ma...by-todd-nauck/

I'm glad she's getting some time for adventures in the wider Marvel Universe in Valkyries (even though I hate this version of her costume, her arms are giving me life)
    yZZtdcbBYmVrVtw3q6ZPYi-1200-80.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    When does this come out? So nice to see Dani getting some focus.

I thought Dani's story was great. I'm really glad to see Dani's animal empathy back. The artist was interviewed about the story on CTV's Your Morning (a Canadian national show) this morning: this-previously-homeless-artist-has-just-been-hired-by-marvel and they mentioned Dani and showed some pages.

As for her arrows, the writers have been all over the map about what she can so with them and whether she needs a real bow or cam just use a psychic one. I wish they still just made people experience their worst fears, but they are more versatile if they can do physical damage.
    I pre-ordered it -- can't wait to see Danielle in action!

I know I mentioned this above, but if nothing else -- I'm happy that the New Mutants film seems to have catapulted her off of the discard pile back into the forefront of Marvel comic plots.

Cool Danielle Moonstar article I came across, summarizing her contributions as a teacher / mentor to a new generation of young heroes:

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...t-super-heroes

The Chris Claremont story featuring Moonstar comes out on Dec 16th, according to the story I read https://aiptcomics.com/2020/11/10/ma...by-todd-nauck/

I'm glad she's getting some time for adventures in the wider Marvel Universe in Valkyries (even though I hate this version of her costume, her arms are giving me life)
    yZZtdcbBYmVrVtw3q6ZPYi-1200-80.jpg
    Thanks, that's not too far away.

Strange to see her in the earliest version of her Valkyrie outfit after all this time. Maybe it's just for the cover.

Quote Originally Posted by rf2044 View Post
    I pre-ordered it -- can't wait to see Danielle in action!

I know I mentioned this above, but if nothing else -- I'm happy that the New Mutants film seems to have catapulted her off of the discard pile back into the forefront of Marvel comic plots.
    As long as it doesn't effect her character in the comics too much. I have no interest in seeing the movie because it doesn't sound like Dani's in character at all.

Quote Originally Posted by rf2044 View Post
    Cool Danielle Moonstar article I came across, summarizing her contributions as a teacher / mentor to a new generation of young heroes:

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...t-super-heroes
    Good article. I've always thought Dani's teaching role was a little strange, though. Maybe it was the writing during that run, she seemed to lose some of her spirit. I mean, I get that they were trying to show her more mature, but something was just missing.

As someone who was NOT following X books mych at all before 2018, Mirage is becoming of of my fav X men characters and I am enjoying that she gets some stuff to do.

Yeah, it's great to see her getting some exposure after such a drought.

I'm looking forward to Vita Ayala's take on Dani after her appearance in Prisoner X. At the same time, I kind of wish Dani was in a title other than New Mutants. I'd like to see her interacting with other characters and getting away from the mentor role, for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Toonstrack View Post
    As someone who was NOT following X books mych at all before 2018, Mirage is becoming of of my fav X men characters and I am enjoying that she gets some stuff to do.
    This has got me thinking. Dani fans, when did she become a favorite of yours?

I started reading New Mutants with issues #54 of the original series. By the time #56 came out, she was my favourite x-character, rivaled only but Rogue.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    This has got me thinking. Dani fans, when did she become a favorite of yours?

I started reading New Mutants with issues #54 of the original series. By the time #56 came out, she was my favourite x-character, rivaled only but Rogue.
    I really started liking her when she started interacting with Cyclops. Her chemistry with him as "mentors" really appealed to me. You're right, I do want to see her interact with more people. Dani needs the type of development Magik has received. I think Dani can also pull off the transition. With diverse characters getting more spotlight in comics, the future looks good.

I could see a strong argument for having her replace Jean in the council too.

Yeah, the interaction with Cyclops was great, and fitting considering Xavier compared her to him early on. I don't know about her being on the council, though. I think she'd be better suited to being a Captain. And probably get more to do that way, too.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Dani the only X-man other than Cable that Xavier knew as an infant? (Or did he go to space before Cable was actually born?) I wonder if that's why he was more tolerant of her rebellions and why he encouraged her to teach instead of joining the X-men.

Xavier left for Shi'Ar space just as Nathan was born. And he was thrown into the future just before Xavier returned. I know Xavier knew Dani's grandfather, but I never got the sense he had met her before she came to the school?
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

In the New Mutants GN, Xavier said he was there when Dani was named. He and William Lonestar were in the army together and Black Eagle became Xavier's mentor (presumably) afterwards. Why Dani didn't know who he was is a bit of a mystery. Her powers showed up before her parents "deaths", so you'd think they'd have contacted Xavier.

Amazing Member

I don't know if this is the right thread but following the movie, i wonder if we'll have a queer Dani in the comics now.

The comics don't usually follow the movies, but it's possible. I can see her being bi. I wouldn't want to see her with Rahne, though. She once said Rahne brought out the mother in her, so I can't really see their relationship turning romantic.