Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Simonson run had great writing but wasn't a highlight for Dani.

While it didn't have the best writing, what I loved and miss about the 90's X-force team was that the moment Dani joined the team she was always at the centre and the team leader.

That run had a lot of editorial interference, IIRC. Sometimes the story would get changed after the solicitations came out. I think it was pretty good, considering.

I think Siryn was supposed to be the leader, but Dani does have a tendency to take over. She did so in the middle of a mission Wolverine was leading in Abbot and Lanning's first issue of New Mutants. Our Moonstar's not one for the chain of command.

What it lacked in continuity it made up for it with the team's dynamic and overall tone. Dani is a natural leader so she's bound to take over

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    That run had a lot of editorial interference, IIRC. Sometimes the story would get changed after the solicitations came out. I think it was pretty good, considering.

I think Siryn was supposed to be the leader, but Dani does have a tendency to take over. She did so in the middle of a mission Wolverine was leading in Abbot and Lanning's first issue of New Mutants. Our Moonstar's not one for the chain of command.
    download.jpg

A classic Dani moment...

I know that run wasn't popular, but I really liked it.* It's just a shame Dani pretty much disappeared after it.

*Edit: except for Doug having a crush on Dani. I thought that was going too far.

One of Dani's few badass moments from Simonson's run:

Attachment 102973

Were there any others? I'm having trouble thinking of any. That run really wasn't good for Dani.

This answer is stretching / cheating a bit, but I liked the time travel version of Dani the New Mutants encountered in the dystopian future where the Sentinels had won. She was an adult, intense, Valkyrie warrior who was tough as nails, but who'd been hardened by the war and all the death. She wasn't even happy to see the younger version of her former team, and even initially rejected Rahne. I believe that was original run of NM #48.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/New_Mutants_Vol_1_48

Here was the cover:

New_Mutants_Vol_1_48.jpg
    Last edited by rf2044; 12-09-2020 at 08:37 AM.

Ultimate Member

Know what I'd like to see?

Dani interacting with Wither. I mean, she brought the kid to the school, mentored him and after she gets kicked out, he falls in with a villain and dies. I presume he's back, but there's a chat that needs to be had there.

Dani's role in the Claremont Anniversary special, previewed...
    https://www.cbr.com/x-men-new-mutant...easer-revival/

Quote Originally Posted by rf2044 View Post
    This answer is stretching / cheating a bit, but I liked the time travel version of Dani the New Mutants encountered in the dystopian future where the Sentinels had won. She was an adult, intense, Valkyrie warrior who was tough as nails, but who'd been hardened by the war and all the death. She wasn't even happy to see the younger version of her former team, and even initially rejected Rahne. I believe that was original run of NM #48.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/New_Mutants_Vol_1_48
    That was a great issue, but I was talking about Simonson's run and that was Claremont.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Know what I'd like to see?

Dani interacting with Wither. I mean, she brought the kid to the school, mentored him and after she gets kicked out, he falls in with a villain and dies. I presume he's back, but there's a chat that needs to be had there.
    That a good point. We should see Dani interacting with all her former charges. Alas, such character moments seem to be in short supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    I can't wait for this and the new New Mutants. Looks like Dani is going back in time to when she fought the Demon Bear. Maybe we'll find out why it was after her.

Only one week to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    This is beautiful

That was a great issue, but I was talking about Simonson's run and that was Claremont. !
    My bad -- you are right, Claremont left after issue 55 [I didn't realize it was that late -- I thought he was gone by issue 48]. From Wikipedia:

With Claremont taking on Wolverine and Excalibur, he left The New Mutants and the series was turned over to writer Louise Simonson and illustrator Bret Blevins with issue #55 (Sept. 1987).
    Last edited by rf2044; 12-09-2020 at 10:45 AM.

Yep. 54 was the first issue I read. Talk about bad timing. Could have been worse, though, if I'd stated later, I might not have gotten hooked.

Claremont's Anniversary issue preview: https://aiptcomics.com/2020/12/10/ch...ecial-preview/

The last pic of Dani and Brightwind is stunning. I wonder what Claremont means by "next chapter"?

I'm thinking if Dani wants to stop teaching, she'd make a great therapist. It's still a helping profession that will free her up for more active adventuring

Preview from New Mutants #14 https://comic-watch.com/news/sneak-p...mpression=true
    0003-3-scaled.jpg

Yeah, she did something like that for Warpath, too, way back in OG X-Force. She'd probably be pretty good at it, though one would hope she got some training for it in college.

However, I don't know if it would free up her time, given how dysfunctional half the X-men are.