Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Variety in Powers (new and returning Superheroes)

Hello,

I dont know how to explain, but I try.

One thing which I kind of miss nowadays in DC are new Superheroes/female Superheroes or returning Superheroes with not often used powers.

I mean
    Roundhouse is a Character who I really dont like
    Keli is another GREEN Lantern
    Wallace West is another Kid Flash/Speedster
    Jinny Hex has no Superpowers
    Naomi has (so far) Super-Strenght,Flying,Durability,Energy Projection, which is ok, but I would have prefered other powers like Hydrokinesis or something like that..
    etc. etc.

I personally would like to see the return or creation of characters with Powers like Terra,Geo-Force who I liked because of their powers, which you dont see so often or Mera with her Hydrokinesis.

Or also magical abilities like Traci13 has or Shimmer,Jinx of the fearsome five.

Also characters who use Electrokinesis like Static,Sparx,Black Lightning and his daughters etc. etc.

Dolphin and Tula of Atlantis were also cool..

And more variety in Lanterns..

This is also one of my main point of criticism of Young Justice...
    I like the 4 main characters Cassie,Bart,Tim and Conner, but for the rest I would rather have liked someone like Traci13 and Keli maybe as Indigo Tribe member..

I mean some books are doing that currently:

-Young Justice is bringing back Aqualad and Sideways, Aqualad with hydrokinesis powers and Sideways with Dimension Hopping/portal abilities.
    -Legion of Superheroes is introducing Gold Lantern and a new Doctor Fate. Lighting Lad is also making his return/ (re)debut.
    -Outsiders has the Duke/The Signal with his light and dark based powers, plus Black Lightning is also leading that team.
    -I'm not reading it right now but Dial H has the power to dial up new powers every time
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

How did I know this would come back to the YJ4 and Conner in particular.

You do realize the YJ4 are the exact same problem you're describing, right? Outside of minor variations most writers don't capitalize on, their powers are just:

Dick but newer
    Donna but newer
    Clark but newer
    Wally but newer

I don't love a lot of the newer characters but you're condemning them for replacing your favored replacements.

Powers aren't the only thing that make a character or team interesting. Arthur literally does nothing on the JLA that others can't but he's a valuable member of the team and people want to see him on it. Superman is superfluous with J'onn on there but Clark's still really important.

I like the YJ4 a lot too, but this isn't a fair criticism of the new kids without also applying it to the 90/00s version of the same problem.

I definitely agree about the Lanterns.
    I wish that instead of creating so many Earth green lanterns to the point that it becomes ridiculous, they'd create characters who are part of the other Lantern Corps.
    They've created such characters before, but never really with an eye on longevity.
    #EmmaWasRight

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    One thing which I kind of miss nowadays in DC are new Superheroes/female Superheroes or returning Superheroes with not often used powers.

I mean
    What's that got to do with power variety?

Astonishing Member

Some powers are more useful than others.

Some powers are more exciting than others.

Some powers are easier to write than others.

Hello,

I dont know how to explain, but I try.

I mean
    Keli is another GREEN Lantern
    Wallace West is another Kid Flash/Speedster
    Jinny Hex has no Superpowers
    Naomi has (so far) Super-Strenght,Flying,Durability,Energy Projection, which is ok, but I would have prefered other powers like Hydrokinesis or something like that..
    etc. etc.

I personally would like to see the return or creation of characters with Powers like Terra,Geo-Force who I liked because of their powers, which you dont see so often or Mera with her Hydrokinesis.

Or also magical abilities like Traci13 has or Shimmer,Jinx of the fearsome five.

Also characters who use Electrokinesis like Static,Sparx,Black Lightning and his daughters etc. etc.

Dolphin and Tula of Atlantis were also cool..

And more variety in Lanterns..

This is also one of my main point of criticism of Young Justice...
    I like the 4 main characters Cassie,Bart,Tim and Conner, but for the rest I would rather have liked someone like Traci13 and Keli maybe as Indigo Tribe member..
    Dolphin and Tula are both Dick's generation, not Tim's (in fact both are ex-girlfriends of Tempest).

So what if Jinny has no powers? Neither does Tim!

Bendis actually WANTED to include Static, but he's off limits for legal reasons.

Black Lightning is appearing in Batman and the Outsiders, and is an adult hero of Clark's generation. Why are you talking about him when suggesting who should've been in Young Justice?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

I think Titans should be handled with different character at the start of the roster. I love the Fab 5 but not big on a Junior Justice League being the foundation of the Titans. Waid did it right.

Young Justice on the other hand was suppose to be a Junior JL I thought their name kind of implies it.

It's actually an appropriated appelation. In issue 1 of the original series, Robin, Superboy, and Impulse said they weren't the Teen Titans, and someone said they're a young Justice League. That's where the name Young Justice came from. The JLA didn't actually approve of them at first.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    How did I know this would come back to the YJ4 and Conner in particular.

You do realize the YJ4 are the exact same problem you're describing, right? Outside of minor variations most writers don't capitalize on, their powers are just:

Dick but newer
    Donna but newer
    Clark but newer
    Wally but newer

I don't love a lot of the newer characters but you're condemning them for replacing your favored replacements.

Powers aren't the only thing that make a character or team interesting. Arthur literally does nothing on the JLA that others can't but he's a valuable member of the team and people want to see him on it. Superman is superfluous with J'onn on there but Clark's still really important.

I like the YJ4 a lot too, but this isn't a fair criticism of the new kids without also applying it to the 90/00s version of the same problem.
    1.) NO.. I am not...
    If you read my post, than you know that I am talking about the Situation as a WHOLE
    Young Justice was only one example of it, but I am also talking about general:
    Why so many Green Lanterns and not other colors?
    Why not a Superhero Version of Jinx,Killer Frost etc.?

2.) The point with new characters WASNT really that they are replacing my favorite characters, BUT..
    One example: Traci Thirteen Traci Thirteen is really unique with her "urban magic" powers and she was a member of TT, now Hex (for example) is in YJ...
    And in terms of VARIETY OF POWERS I logically prefer Traci Thirteen...

3.) Cassie,Bart,Tim and Conner are legacy characters...which means that they should be like their mentors..

4.) Bart has powers like his Speedscouts,Memory etc. which Wally doesnt have
    Conner has also TTK which Clark doesnt have

5.) For Cassie I was always the fan of the Idea of making her DIFFERENT!! to Donna and Diana.
    Make Diana and Donna the Amazons and Cassie the Half-Goddess who also has the powers of Electrokinesis like her father Zeus.

6.) Arthur has many powers...It depends on the Version, but he has kind of magical powers and Life-Force Connection and his Trident..

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

1.) NO.. I am not...
    If you read my post, than you know that I am talking about the Situation as a WHOLE
    Young Justice was only one example of it, but I am also talking about general:
    Why so many Green Lanterns and not other colors?
    Why not a Superhero Version of Jinx,Killer Frost etc.?

2.) The point with new characters WASNT really that they are replacing my favorite characters, BUT..
    One example: Traci Thirteen Traci Thirteen is really unique with her "urban magic" powers and she was a member of TT, now Hex (for example) is in YJ...
    And in terms of VARIETY OF POWERS I logically prefer Traci Thirteen...

3.) Cassie,Bart,Tim and Conner are legacy characters...which means that they should be like their mentors..

4.) Bart has powers like his Speedscouts,Memory etc. which Wally doesnt have
    Conner has also TTK which Clark doesnt have

5.) For Cassie I was always the fan of the Idea of making her DIFFERENT!! to Donna and Diana.
    Make Diana and Donna the Amazons and Cassie the Half-Goddess who also has the powers of Electrokinesis like her father Zeus.

6.) Arthur has many powers...It depends on the Version, but he has kind of magical powers and Life-Force Connection and his Trident..
    The magic ties and enchanted weapons are also Wonder Woman's things and the life force connection is just a new retcon for his telepathy. I love Arthur, but like many, he's redundant on that team. That's fine. He's cool and has an interesting perspective in stories.

But as with most your posts, you make it about the YJ4 so I'm sorry but I can't really divorce that from what's obviously a thread being used to dig on new characters in some way. You miss a particular status quo and I sympathize because I wax nostalgic way too often myself, but let's not dump on Wallace for being "another kid Flash" because Impulse was just that in power set when introduced. He got a chance to develop and actually even literally became another Kid Flash. Just like Wallace and Wally.

But you're also wrong if you think Bart has powers other speedsters don't. Wally had a million new powers over Barry and when he returned, Barry could do everything Wally could. All of Bart's skills can and will be used by Barry because that's how this works.

The sidekicks with powers will almost always be weaker versions of their mentor and only marginal remixes of the rest. There are differences, sure. Dick and Tim are very different Robins, but if we're defining powers for a team dynamic, they're the same basic character. Same with the GLs, yes. Power-wise in a team dynamic, Hal and John are interchangable.

What makes team books interesting is how the characters play off one another and what they can bring to the table. Powers can lead to big, fun action but that only gets you so far.
    Last edited by Robanker; 01-25-2020 at 12:38 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Black Lightning is appearing in Batman and the Outsiders, and is an adult hero of Clark's generation. Why are you talking about him when suggesting who should've been in Young Justice?
    I NEVER SAID THAT!!

I will explain it again:

Like the Thread Title says its about the "Variety in Powers".

What I was talking about is, that I would LOVE to see more Superheroes with Superpowers which are kind of seldom used or belongs to a Villain.
    Its not about Young Justice, but about the Universum as a whole.

For Example it would be cool to see a Superhero Version of Jinx,Shimmer,Killer Frost...or see more Superheroes who use "Urban Magic" like Traci Thirteen etc.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    The magic ties and enchanted weapons are also Wonder Woman's things and the life force connection is just a new retcon for his telepathy. I love Arthur, but like many, he's redundant on that team. That's fine. He's cool and has an interesting perspective in stories.

But as with most your posts, you make it about the YJ4 so I'm sorry but I can't really divorce that from what's obviously a thread being used to dig on new characters in some way. You miss a particular status quo and I sympathize because I wax nostalgic way too often myself, but let's not dump on Wallace for being "another kid Flash" because Impulse was just that in power set when introduced. He got a chance to develop and actually even literally became another Kid Flash. Just like Wallace and Wally.

But you're also wrong if you think Bart has powers other speedsters don't. Wally had a million new powers over Barry and when he returned, Barry could do everything Wally could. All of Bart's skills can and will be used by Barry because that's how this works.

The sidekicks with powers will almost always be weaker versions of their mentor and only marginal remixes of the rest. There are differences, sure. Dick and Tim are very different Robins, but if we're defining powers for a team dynamic, they're the same basic character. Same with the GLs, yes. Power-wise in a team dynamic, Hal and John are interchangable.

What makes team books interesting is how the characters play off one another and what they can bring to the table. Powers can lead to big, fun action but that only gets you so far.

WRONG!!

Barts Memory is unique to him.
    Read TT where Conner,Bart,Cassie and Tim joined the TT.

There is a scene in which Bart talks about a Pharao to Wally and Jay and he explains to them that he read it with Super-Speed and he still reminds that.

Wally and Jay are BOTH!! surprised because they both CANT do that.

Speed Scouts were unique to him, but now Godspeed seems to have the same powers

Iris West II has shown to have abilities as adult which NEITHER Jay, nor Barry, nor Wally, nor Bart have:
    Speed Cocoons!

Of course Irey was screwed over due to New 52. If the reboot hadn't happened, Teen Titans was due to relaunch shortly after #100 regardless, and Impulse II was to be on the new team (replacing Bart). Had that team existed, maybe we'd have seen her learn some new abilities such as those cocoons. Instead, she got erased from existence, stated to have just been stuck in the Speed Force when Wally came back in Rebirth, and then revealed to be in the Dark Multiverse in Flash Forward. Doomsday Clock #12 seems to show her as the new Kid Flash, probably due to Bart being Impulse again, so it looks like she'll be back in 5G. Still, she's lost out on a decade's worth of character development.

I agree about Keli and would prefer her to be a technopath instead.

I agree with Wallace but he's kid flash and apart of the west family so what else should he have?