View Poll Results: Who is your favorite Blue Beetle?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dan Garrett

2 2.63%
  • Ted Kord

42 55.26%
  • Jaime Reyes

32 42.11%
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Blue Beetle Appreciation 2020!!!

DEBUT: August 1939
    FIRST APPEARANCE: Mystery Men Comics #1
    CREATOR: Charles Nicholas
    ON-GOING SERIES: 73 issues
    Blue Beetle Vol 1 #1-42 & #44-60
    Blue Beetle Vol 2 #18-21
    Blue Beetle Vol 3 #1-5
    Blue Beetle Vol 4 #50-54

DEBUT: November 1966
    FIRST APPEARANCE: Captain Atom #83
    CREATOR: Steve Ditko
    ON-GOING SERIES: 29 issues
    Blue Beetle Vol 5 #1-5
    Blue Beetle Vol 6 #1-24

DEBUT: February 2006
    FIRST APPEARANCE: Infinite Crisis #3
    CREATOR: Keith Giffen; John Rogers; Cully Hammer
    ON-GOING SERIES: 72 issues
    Blue Beetle Vol 7 #1-36
    Blue Beetle Vol 8 #0-16
    Blue Beetle Vol 9 Rebirth-18

ORIGINAL THREAD
    2019 THREAD

It’s that time of the year again! Show some appreciation for one of DC’s oldest, most unique and quite frankly coolest legacy characters! To be fair though all 3 are so unique from each other that some might not even consider then legacies lol
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Current happenings:

https://www.cbr.com/blue-beetle-seri...t-hbo-max/amp/
    A Blue Beetle HBO Max series rumored to be in development. Centered around Jaime Reyes. Rumors of Ted Kord as a mentor and it having a 150M budget.

Blue Beetle (Ted) just appeared in a dark multiverse event. Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes) is currently evil and a member of The Batman Who Laughs Secret Six.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

I really like Jaime, I hope he gets to do more after he’s done with Hell Arisen in the 5G relaunch of books. I also hope we get do get to see a show, I liked how Jaime and Ted worked together in the rebirth run and would love to see a show based off that.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I love Jaime, I just kind of... wish he wasn't a legacy character, a little? It's kind of like having two Flashes or two Superboys or two Robins running around at the same time. It was fine at first when one was dead or out of the picture, but then they started to co-exist, and it gets a little tragic, because the brand really doesn't have room for all that, so one is the primary version and one is shunted to the side. Tim Drake, Conner Kent, Wally West, Connor Hawke... all are good characters sent aside by other good characters with the same code-name.

But Ted Kord and Jaime Reyes might be the saddest divide to me, because frankly, I love them both to death, and they both give me something the other one can't give me. Wally and Barry aren't the same, but they're both the Flash, and there's I think a kind of limit on how different the Flash can be from the Flash. Connor Hawke might be less quick to use the Boxing Glove Arrow than his dead old Dad, but they're still both guys who run around urban centers with a bow.

Ted is like an older Spider-Man who found professional success as a super-scientist, or a higher-tech Batman with a more pronounced sense of humor. Jaime has all kinds of aliens and things running around, and it's not really comparable to the more traditional super-hero fare of Ted's adventures in the first place. They're both characters of their contemporary moments. Hard to imagine Ted involved in a multi-issue arc of an alien invasion.

I like the idea of Ted teaching Jaime to be the third Blue Beetle. Be cool if Tobey Maguire played Ted in a series like that, maybe got some action scenes in costume. Maybe bring in Andrew Garfield to be Vic Sage, haha! I'm all for milking the Ditko connection.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

It’s cool that Ted is starting to show up in the big group shots of DC heroes but it sucks that Jaime has hardly been seen. You’d think with his many mainstream appearances they could at least make him a background regular.

Still haven’t read the Dark Multiverse Ted story. Fascinated to see how he basically becomes a god.

Evil Jaime aka The Scarab is pretty creepy. Especially trying to eat his villains. He’s kind of a mix of Venom and a Xenomorph.

anybody have any idea what this is about?

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post

anybody have any idea what this is about?
    Mr. Terrific is gathering together a group of DC’s premier scientists and inventors.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Mr. Terrific is gathering together a group of DC’s premier scientists and inventors.
    sounds interesting.

had no idea tom strong was dc

glad to see ray an ted there.

Jaime Reyes for me.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Ted all day every day.

It took me (literally) years, but i finally learned to appreciate Jaime a little.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I love Jaime (the John Rogers run was amazing) but it's easily Ted for me. JLI is one of my all-time favourite runs and it's particularly notable for just how effectively it made all of its characters among my favourite DC characters ever. No hyperbole here: it was just that great.

Also, Ted has one of the all-time greatest superhero costumes - and one of the most underrated too. That design is just a thing of beauty.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Also, Ted has one of the all-time greatest superhero costumes - and one of the most underrated too. That design is just a thing of beauty.
    Ditko outdid himself w. that one.
    I love seeing pics of BB and Spidey (regardless of the artist) together, just to soak both the designs.
    Last edited by Riv86672; 01-28-2020 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    I love Jaime (the John Rogers run was amazing) but it's easily Ted for me. JLI is one of my all-time favourite runs and it's particularly notable for just how effectively it made all of its characters among my favourite DC characters ever. No hyperbole here: it was just that great.

i agree. i do prefer his costume drawn like "shorts" though more than "briefs".

and those goggles...

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    i agree. i do prefer his costume drawn like "shorts" though more than "briefs".

and those goggles...
    The shorts look is awesome. And the goggles of course. And the line down the middle of the cowl...love it.
    That suit looks like nothing else out there/is the opposite of generic.
    In a group shot it really just pops.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Ted all day every day.

It took me (literally) years, but i finally learned to appreciate Jaime a little.
    Funny I was wondering how long it would take before you posted something that I really disagreed with.

The JLE/JLI was "my" justice league. When they say Justice League I legit think of Captain Atom and Guy/Booster and Beetle....

But... as much as I loved Ted... and hate legacy characters in the last few years.

I wish he'd stayed dead. It stung, and I felt like the his story had a beginning, middle and end.

Jaime, I was like F-that replacement... but the narrative of Dan and Ted, not activating the actual beetle, but some kid does and the techno-magic of the Reach and the legacy getting bigger.

For once I felt it was done correctly. I felt like "Okay, Jaime, has the potential to take the name and make it BIGGER"

but... comics.

Being a comics character is a lot like the Big Screen superman.

"you won't let me live, you won't let me die."

Ted and the Jli were forgotten for years, and his dead... It meant something it was poignant so did the rise of his successor.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.