View Poll Results: Who is your favorite Blue Beetle?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dan Garrett

2 2.63%
  • Ted Kord

42 55.26%
  • Jaime Reyes

32 42.11%
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Funny I was wondering how long it would take before you posted something that I really disagreed with.

The JLE/JLI was "my" justice league. When they say Justice League I legit think of Captain Atom and Guy/Booster and Beetle....

But... as much as I loved Ted... and hate legacy characters in the last few years.

I wish he'd stayed dead. It stung, and I felt like the his story had a beginning, middle and end.

Jaime, I was like F-that replacement... but the narrative of Dan and Ted, not activating the actual beetle, but some kid does and the techno-magic of the Reach and the legacy getting bigger.

For once I felt it was done correctly. I felt like "Okay, Jaime, has the potential to take the name and make it BIGGER"

but... comics.

Being a comics character is a lot like the Big Screen superman.

"you won't let me live, you won't let me die."

Ted and the Jli were forgotten for years, and his dead... It meant something it was poignant so did the rise of his successor.
    I don’t really think we disagree.

I hated Ted’s death but, it was well done and impactful. It took what came before (goofy Ted) and used it to advance him (Ted is onto something but nah, it’s Ted). He suffered a huge betrayal in Max (we all did), and he went out defiant.

Jaime shows up and like I said, I didn’t want to see this guy, he reminded me of Ted.
    Oddly, though he’s just a comic book character, i’ve Had the same reaction to new Unit members who’ve replaced old ones who ET/PCS’d or fallen in battle when I was in the Army; unlike RL though I could avoid Jaime by just not buying his book so it took a lot longer to come to terms. Jaime’s cool though.

And there’s the Booster Gold book, where he (Booster) acted like we all would if we had a chance to bring back a loved one, and got some kinda closure.

And I was honestly okay w. Ted staying dead.
    Especially since his return(s) in N52 and Rebirth and presently, have been treated as afterthoughts. The guy either deserved to RIP or a proper comeback, w. a well written resurrection and a series that went all in w. a top notch writer/artist who’d give us the book some of us have been waiting for since the eighties.

it's ted and booster at the right...

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post

it's ted and booster at the right...
    Zatanna wearing her best costume !

ted cameos in flash 750

Jaime Reyes (any version of him) is okay.

It’s just that he’s basically Kyle Rayner to Ted Kord’s Hal Jordan.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Quote Originally Posted by Rod G View Post

I’d say he’s more like John Stewart. More popular in outside media and to casual fans than to comic fans. Kyle has barley been used outside of comics but I do get your comparison. Though to be fair it’s nowt the same since the only thing Jaime and Ted have in common is the hero name (different villains, support cast, myths...etc).
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Mighty Member

There you go. The verdict is in by a landslide (so far), but will DC ever bring back Ted Kord? No. Are any of these replacable heroes (Reyes, Kyle Rayner, Connor Hawke, Renee Montoya, Azrael ect, ect) as popular as the fan favourites they replaced? No.

Are DC going to replace fan favourite heroes again? Yes. Do any of them have good business sense? No.

Apologies, just venting. I actually don't mind Reyes, it's just that he's not Ted Kord.

Quote Originally Posted by BringMe_YoungManLogan View Post
    There you go. The verdict is in by a landslide (so far), but will DC ever bring back Ted Kord? No. Are any of these replacable heroes (Reyes, Kyle Rayner, Connor Hawke, Renee Montoya, Azrael ect, ect) as popular as the fan favourites they replaced? No.

Are DC going to replace fan favourite heroes again? Yes. Do any of them have good business sense? No.

Apologies, just venting. I actually don't mind Reyes, it's just that he's not Ted Kord.
    Kord has actually been back in the comics for quite some time already, mentoring Reyes. And I’d argue Reyes is more popular than Kord outside of comics and certainly above all the names listed there (the only one that’s different in power set from his predecessor). He’s Blue Beetle to a lot more fans than Ted Kord is

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Kord has actually been back in the comics for quite some time already, mentoring Reyes. And I’d argue Reyes is more popular than Kord outside of comics and certainly above all the names listed there (the only one that’s different in power set from his predecessor). He’s Blue Beetle to a lot more fans than Ted Kord is
    Yes and no. He's back, but not as Blue Beetle in his own series. If Blue Beetle gets launched again, I guarantee you it will be Reyes at the helm. Reyes is more popular than Kord outside of the comics, because DC has marketed Reyes in video games, and media. I don't think Kord has ever been marketed outside the comics? I don't even recall him in the JLA cartoon, though I could be mistaken?

I get it though, your a Reyes fan, I'm not trying to rain on your parade. I just think the majority of comic book fans would like to see Ted Kord at the helm again.

Yes and no. He's back, but not as Blue Beetle in his own series. If Blue Beetle gets launched again, I guarantee you it will be Reyes at the helm. Reyes is more popular than Kord outside of the comics, because DC has marketed Reyes in video games, and media. I don't think Kord has ever been marketed outside the comics? I don't even recall him in the JLA cartoon, though I could be mistaken?

I get it though, your a Reyes fan, I'm not trying to rain on your parade. I just think the majority of comic book fans would like to see Ted Kord at the helm again.
    Only thing I can remember Ted popping up in outside of comics, alive, is Brave and the Bold. But that was only for an episode or two. Everything else has been Jaime.

I feel a Ted comic would face the same fate as a Jaime comic would... hence why neither one have one at the moment. Gone are the days of Non A-list heroes being able to headline their own books. One advantage Jaime has that Ted doesn’t, and also a big reason he’s appeared so much outside of comics, is the fact that he adds diversity to a not so diverse universe (DCU). He also has a cooler power set to go along with that

Mighty Member

Only thing I can remember Ted popping up in outside of comics, alive, is Brave and the Bold. But that was only for an episode or two. Everything else has been Jaime.

I feel a Ted comic would face the same fate as a Jaime comic would... hence why neither one have one at the moment. Gone are the days of Non A-list heroes being able to headline their own books. One advantage Jaime has that Ted doesn’t, and also a big reason he’s appeared so much outside of comics, is the fact that he adds diversity to a not so diverse universe (DCU). He also has a cooler power set to go along with that

Yes, i can't argue with you on the diversity issue, DC does have a problem there, I just don't believe that replacing people's favourite heroes is the best way to go about it. Cynically, part of me feels this is the reason DC won't put Ted Kord back in the role of BB.

Replacement heroes pit comic fans against comic fans (Ie; the epic Hal Jordan/Kyle Rayner feud) there must be another way.

As for Ted Kord not being able to sell as well as Jamie if he came out today. I say give it a whirl and see how it goes.

Yes, i can't argue with you on the diversity issue, DC does have a problem there, I just don't believe that replacing people's favourite heroes is the best way to go about it. Cynically, part of me feels this is the reason DC won't put Ted Kord back in the role of BB.

Replacement heroes pit comic fans against comic fans (Ie; the epic Hal Jordan/Kyle Rayner feud) there must be another way.

As for Ted Kord not being able to sell as well as Jamie if he came out today. I say give it a whirl and see how it goes.
    In an ideal world, DC would just create new characters that are diverse without replacing other heroes and they’d end up becoming popular too. Personally wish DC had given Jaime his own alias (ie Scarab, Blue Scoprion... idk lol) and kept Ted around to mentor him, since he knew about the Scarab. Jaime is a great character on his own, so is Ted, but a lot of the times the Blue Beetle fan base is split as a result of the sharing of mantles and it leads to fab wars (thankfully not as bad as the GL or Flash ones)

Mighty Member

In an ideal world, DC would just create new characters that are diverse without replacing other heroes and they’d end up becoming popular too. Personally wish DC had given Jaime his own alias (ie Scarab, Blue Scoprion... idk lol) and kept Ted around to mentor him, since he knew about the Scarab. Jaime is a great character on his own, so is Ted, but a lot of the times the Blue Beetle fan base is split as a result of the sharing of mantles and it leads to fab wars (thankfully not as bad as the GL or Flash ones)
    Agreed. For what's its worth I actually think Jamie is a cool character, and if he came out with his own title under a different alias, I would probably support it, but Ted Kord is my guy, so...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rod G View Post

That would make Booster as Barry, or Oliver.