View Poll Results: Who is your favorite Blue Beetle?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dan Garrett

2 2.63%
  • Ted Kord

42 55.26%
  • Jaime Reyes

32 42.11%
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Wow, didn’t realize that Ted’s Charlton era is now public domain. So another company can re-print those comics but how far could they go with adding his likeness into a new book like the ones Dynamite publishes? As you said they wouldn’t use the name over fear of getting sued, but could they use his costume like they did with Dan Garrett’s?
    Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    that's really surprising. how did it work, did dc forgot to renew or something?

and how is charlton ted kord different from dc ted kord?
    I’m admittedly rather new to copyright/trademark law myself, so I think you’re better off asking those at the PDSH website, among others. For example, on https://pdsh.fandom.com/wiki/FAQ#Doe..._characters.3F, it’s stated:

“Trademark and Questionable Status?:

“Doesn't DC Comics own all of the Charlton, Quality, and Fawcett's comic characters?:

No. While DC comics bought all three of these companies, the majority of their comics were not renewed or had improper copyright notices. For example, Whiz Comics #2 was not renewed meaning all of the characters that first appeared in this issue are in the public domain such as Golden Arrow, Spy Smasher, Ibis the Invincible, and even Captain Marvel.

However, first thing to know is DC DOES own the rights to books where the copyrights were renewed such as Marvel Family #1, meaning DC owns the copyright to Black Adam (whose first appearance is in that issue). Second, DC also owns the rights to their versions of the Charlton, Quality, and Fawcett characters because they are derivative works. Finally, even if DC doesn't own a character, they probably own the trademark to any of the prominent character's names such as Blue Beetle, Plastic Man, etc. This doesn't mean you can't use the character, though, it just means you need to call them by a different name or only use the name in the interior pages of the book so as to avoid anyone confusing your version of the character for DC's.”

and

“How Do I Use These Characters?:

Any way you want! Download copies of their adventures and print them for sale! Write and draw new adventures for the Green Lama, make a movie about the Blue Beetle, write a novel starring Yank & Doodle! Use their images in advertising, on posters, for greeting cards, etc! Make balloons in their image or start a line of action figures that no child will recognize! Your NEW product is YOURS and no one can use it without your permission. Just make sure you DON’T copy someone else that’s using the same character, because THEIR new product is THEIRS!“
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 03-25-2020 at 09:29 AM.

And now we see why companies like DC make seemingly unnecessary tweaks to a character’s costume. Or in the case of Blue Beetle, create a legacy character. It’s going to be very interesting to see what happens in 2024 when Steamboat Willie becomes public domain. Disney probably has an army of lobbyists trying to change this law.

As for the Charlton version of Ted Kord, he was not only athletic, but also an inventor who invented gadgets, as well as vehicles, this version arguably having more similarities to the 1940s Blue Beetle than the 1955 did:

Captain Atom #83 (1966):

Captain Atom #86 (1967):

Last edited by Electricmastro; 03-29-2020 at 07:44 PM.

i wonder if this had any weight in dc deciding to kill ted (on so many instances).

but i am grateful that ted still pops up once in a while. (like in the terrifics).

More Charlton Ted Kord:

Blue Beetle #2 (August, 1967):

Blue Beetle #4 (December, 1967):

Blue Beetle #5 (November, 1968):

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    More Charlton Ted Kord:

Blue Beetle #2 (August, 1967):

Blue Beetle #4 (December, 1967):

Blue Beetle #5 (November, 1968):

amazing how the bug looks so different

For anyone who has read the 1986 Blue Beetle - do you get the sense it waffles (or at least isn't clear) about how long Ted has been Blue Beetle. Clearly some things indicate it's been years (him talking to the bug at one point). Can't recall the exact bit with the firemen. But other things, like Dan's death still being investigated, make it seem like it's only been months at most since he took on the mantle. I don't know - maybe I'm just misremembering.

Also, very much would like to get a sense of how old he was supposed to be at that time (not with references from later comics). Seems like he talks like college was just a few years ago, but I swear the '90s was just 10 years ago sometimes. Still, I got the sense of a guy 26-32ishm but can't point to anything concrete for that.

Besides the DC universe app, any place where I could buy the first Jaime Reyes appearance trade or collection? Can’t find one on Amazon and I’d figure that Jaime shows up enough in comics(even if it’s not his own series he’s still a big part of current events) and animated series that I could find an up to date trade besides new 52 and Rebirth.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    Good for Ted .

What is that one from?

Little-known and amusing fact, Dan Garret appeared in the live action film Agent Beetle (2012), where he’s renamed as such and played by Daniel Lavigne: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2397425...=tt_cl_sm#cast

Last edited by Electricmastro; 04-20-2020 at 01:42 PM.

10 Things to Know About Blue Beetle (Ted Kord) by CBR

https://www.cbr.com/dc-comics-blue-beetle/

Blue Beetle as he appeared in Justice League #37 (February, 2020).