Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelman View Post
    Black Shazam? Really?

Personally, I think they should have re-named Captain Marvel: Captain Thunder!
    Sure her favorite hero could be Black Lightning or maybe her parents/grandparents were members of the Black Panther party and diving into the past of every member could be a fun adventure.

Captain Thunder is a good name and you could give the kids names based on rankings (Private, Sgt. Lt. Major, General, Admiral, Fuhrer) but none of it says anything because the kids are just playing pretend.

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    How about "Princess SHAZAM"?
    Yeah thats a way better name

Wooo! Shazam #11 came out today.

I won't spoil much, but those characters in those Monster Society of Evil pics we have been getting have now all been positively identified.

We learn names, of those we didn't already know, and we learn from which of the Magiclands each of them hail.

I was spot on ID'ing the big eye guy and the bat guy.

Not a big fan of Johns retconning how the Wisdom of Solomon works. It granted Captain Marvel encyclopedic knowledge in both Pre Crisis and Post Crisis continuities but Johns just makes it into a feeling of intuition which is much less grandiose and interesting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    I was spot on ID'ing the big eye guy and the bat guy.
    You were! I read that post.

I posted about that picture in other places and used your well-educated guesses as a starting point.

- I am surprised they kept the name "Jeepers" for the bat guy.
    - I am intrigued by the Scapegoat character
    - Mr. Merry-Go-Round? Alright. I'll give it a whirl.

And lets not forget spoilers:
    Prime is now out as of
    end of spoilersthat Cliffhanger...
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Honestly, the sooner I can forget about that particular "cliffhanger", the better.

Every member of The Monster Society is more interesting to me than the crying cliffhanger boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatut Zeraze View Post
    Honestly, the sooner I can forget about that particular "cliffhanger", the better.

Every member of The Monster Society is more interesting to me than the crying cliffhanger boy.
    Ditto. I’m dropping the book after issue 12. No interest in SBPrime whatsoever.

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's hard to come up with dynamic names with "Shazam" compared to "Marvel."
    Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me the original name of Shazam should have been Captain Thunder, but they abandoned the idea because there was already another superhero with that name. So (in my humble opinion) there are various way to solve this problem:
    1) restore the name Captain Thunder and use the substantive Thunder to create other names: Thunder Woman, Sergeant Thunder, Iron Thunder…
    2) create some new names using the substantive Marvel: Marvel Man, Marvel Woman, Marvel Fist…
    3) create some new names using a totally new substantive (for example Paladin) and the main color of the costume: Red Paladin, Purple Paladin, Black Paladin…
    4) combine the color of the costume with the substantive Thunder (or Marvel): Red Thunder (Red Marvel), Purple Thunder (Purple Marvel), Black Thunder (Black Marvel)…; even if I don't remember if there is some member of the Shazam Family with a purple or a black costume.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    Not a big fan of Johns retconning how the Wisdom of Solomon works. It granted Captain Marvel encyclopedic knowledge in both Pre Crisis and Post Crisis continuities but Johns just makes it into a feeling of intuition which is much less grandiose and interesting to me.
    Yeah agree with you here. Intuition is not Wisdom and you can't have wisdom without knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham citizen View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me the original name of Shazam should have been Captain Thunder, but they abandoned the idea because there was already another superhero with that name. So (in my humble opinion) there are various way to solve this problem:
    1) restore the name Captain Thunder and use the substantive Thunder to create other names: Thunder Woman, Sergeant Thunder, Iron Thunder…
    2) create some new names using the substantive Marvel: Marvel Man, Marvel Woman, Marvel Fist…
    3) create some new names using a totally new substantive (for example Paladin) and the main color of the costume: Red Paladin, Purple Paladin, Black Paladin…
    4) combine the color of the costume with the substantive Thunder (or Marvel): Red Thunder (Red Marvel), Purple Thunder (Purple Marvel), Black Thunder (Black Marvel)…; even if I don't remember if there is some member of the Shazam Family with a purple or a black costume.
    Marvelman is a Marvel character. Also known as Miracleman. So they can't use that name. There was a Marvel Woman in Al Ewing's New Avengers book as well, who was a future successor to Captain Marvel wearing Carol's final Ms. Marvel costume.

Honestly, they should just go with Captain Shazam for Billy (the Captain part will be so that the others can call him Cap, as saying Shazam reverts them to their young selves - currently they usually use their civilian names, which isn't great for keeping a secret identity). The others would be colour Shazam - Red Shazam for Mary, for example (hence they can all be referred to by their colours). And yes, there is a purple one (Darla). The black one is actually a villain (Black Adam), the other Shazam family members being blue, green, grey/silver and yellow.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 03-07-2020 at 07:43 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Actually those were only a bunch of names I used to explain my point: if you use some inventiveness, you can create a lot of names adapt to the various members of the family, not a real suggestion.

EDIT: by the way in my humble opinion Shazam is a wonderful magic word good as much as it is an awful name.

Alright so after some digging and asking around on reddit, thanks to being informed I think I’ve found what happened to the Shazam trade volumes. Apparently with the delays and that the story so far has been one big story they are gonna collect issues 1-12 all in big trade to be available in October.

Not sure I like that personally, I feel that after the delays and the fact that they are continuing after issue 12 that maybe they should collected it in earlier volumes to read. Not to mention issue 12 is April, why October for crying out loud?

https://www.penguinrandomhouseretail...=9781779504593
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Amazing Member

Does anyone else think the Dummy is supposed to be the old Vigilante villain?

Quote Originally Posted by gorosaurus View Post
    Does anyone else think the Dummy is supposed to be the old Vigilante villain?
    He is. He was a member of the MSoE in All-Star Squadron, hence his inclusion here.