Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Shazam and the Shazam Family Appreciation 2020

Hey It’s Philadelphia’s latest hero team the Lighting League...no wait the Shocking Seven...ah the heck with it lets just call them Shazam and his amazing Shazam Family. While they are fairly new they’ve made some decent appearances in their ongoing(when it’s not delayed), Doomsday Clock(when that’s not delayed), and the Shazam movie and sequel(hopefully not to be delayed because I’m noticing a bad pattern).

Members: Billy, Mary, Freddy, Darla, Eugene, and Pedro...and apparently a talking tiger

Volume Appearances: Vol 0/Origins(Collects their new 52 Justice League Backstory) and the current Shazam! Ongoing

1728D0D6-3478-408A-AB76-3DD54BD3B868.jpg
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I havent Followed the current series beyond the first couple of issues, how has it been?
    Have any members of the family taken a codename?

Quote Originally Posted by billee0918 View Post
    I havent Followed the current series beyond the first couple of issues, how has it been?
    I picked up most issues and will get the rest in back issues- I've been enjoying it, but now its also bringing in Superboy-Prime and the JSA which has me hyped
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by billee0918 View Post
    Suffice to say without giving away spoilers, no the family really hasn’t really established hero names for everyone as far as I can recall. Mainly the series has been doing a lot of lore and plot building for the magic realms and for what’s to come in the future when it comes to villains/plot, the SHAZAM family, and Billy himself.
    Last edited by sifighter; 01-25-2020 at 05:47 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Superboy Prime? Meh.

Geoff Johns' updated versions of The Monster Society of Evil? Now THAT is something to get excited about.

Issue #10 involved some pleasant teasers, but I want MORE.

It sucks that the other members of the Shazam-ily don’t have superhero names. I hope they still use the name Mary Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    It sucks that the other members of the Shazam-ily don’t have superhero names. I hope they still use the name Mary Marvel.
    It's hard to come up with dynamic names with "Shazam" compared to "Marvel."

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's hard to come up with dynamic names with "Shazam" compared to "Marvel."
    How about these:
    Billy - Shazam/Captain Shazam
    Mary - Lady Shazam
    Freddy - Kid Shazam
    Darla - Black Shazam
    Pedro - King Shazam
    Eugene - Super Shazam

I hope they still use the name Mary Marvel.
    I hope so, too. Mary Marvel is my all-time favorite:

Last edited by K7P5V; 05-14-2020 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

They can't. The name, as well as CM3, doesn't make sense when Billy isn't called Captain Marvel.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    How about these:
    Billy - Shazam/Captain Shazam
    Mary - Lady Shazam
    Freddy - Kid Shazam
    Darla - Black Shazam
    Pedro - King Shazam
    Eugene - Super Shazam
    No. Absolutely not. Those names make Pedro and Eugene sound superior to Billy, make Freddy sound like the youngest (which is actually Darla) and is racist towards Darla.

The DC Database Fandom wiki actually calls Mary "Lady Shazam", which I think came from a guidebook. Never mentioned in-story though, and doesn't make a lot of sense since there's another girl. The wiki also calls Freddy "Shazam Jr" for the same reason, which likewise doesn't make sense as he's not the youngest like the pre-Flashpoint version was.

Personally I'd go with colours. Billy would just be Shazam, or Captain Shazam so that he has a name that can be used without accidentally triggering a depower (since they can't actually SAY Shazam). Mary would be Red Shazam, Freddy Blue Shazam. The others would be Green, Violet, and Silver Shazam, and they could just call themselves by colour (with "Cap" for Billy).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Why not just recicle the concept idea of the Lieutenants Marvel as the Lieutenants Shazam?
    Because, face it, they "Marvel" are not going to be.

On the Monster Society, seems like Johns digged out searching for old members of the Billy Batsons rogues gallery. I didn't recognize everyone but I could found old faces as Jeeprs, King Kull and Mr. Atom. Who else did you recognize?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

BANNED

They're all have names on the wiki.

But in book they're all Shazam.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    They're all have names on the wiki.

But in book they're all Shazam.
    Yeah I noticed that when making the thread but for the life of me I couldn’t find anywhere where the names in the wiki were actually used. Maybe I missed it or ignored it but it was weird.
    Words to live by.

BANNED

Those names are just for the readers to use. In universe they're all Shazam. Like multiple people using the Flash name.

Anyway here's the monsters, larger on google.

0b3d27d73abb41038657224b1873dcc9.jpg