Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    5 kids, technically. Mary's not a kid, she's 18.
    So true! Plus, she can watch them!

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Does anyone think that the concept of a larger Shazam! family is limiting the character's outside appearances. I love the concept of a more diverse and team-based Shazam! book, but now I can't imagine Billy showing up and joining a superhero team without the rest of his fam.
    Nah, I think they're all great characters.

Shazam! should exist in his own corner. He can show up in other books, or join the Justice League- but his own book should be his world. It shouldn't have to tie into anything else, or sacrifice its tone for another character.

Astonishing Member

5 kids, technically. Mary's not a kid, she's 18.
    Yeah. Although another reboot could change that.

Honestly, I was pretty surprised she is 18 in Shazam comic. When I read the story in Justice League, she seems to have similar age to Billy and Freddy.

Maybe they'll reveal that Billy's father is also her father, and the abusive Bromfields were just a couple who adopted her, then disowned her when she ran away? Her being a couple of years older than him (Billy is 16, and I think Freddy is as well) would explain why they weren't together. Originally, they were twins, and the classic origin of them being adopted separately and only meeting as teenagers no longer holds water. Twins don't tend to be split up when adopted now. Billy being born after Mary's already been adopted would explain it.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

i agree with that.

Also, pre-Flashpoint there were also disagreements if when Mary transformed into Mary Marvel if she was now an adult (like Captain Marvel) or a teen (like Captain Marvel Jr).

Mary being 18 kinda solves that problem.

Astonishing Member

So, what's the deal with the "Shazam! - Lightning Strikes" digital series? Is it just the two issues, or are more coming?

Those stories were probably created for a Walmart Giant one-shot. The series is over. In fact, you'll have noticed the daily digital firsts have gone down from seven days a week, to five, and now three. And now Superman Man of Tomorrow is over. It may be that the Walmart material is now completely exhausted and those books are ALL finished.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Those stories were probably created for a Walmart Giant one-shot. The series is over. In fact, you'll have noticed the daily digital firsts have gone down from seven days a week, to five, and now three. And now Superman Man of Tomorrow is over. It may be that the Walmart material is now completely exhausted and those books are ALL finished.
    Yeah isn’t it basically just down to DCeased, Injustice, and Batman the animated series?
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

Ah, thanks for that. A shame, the kind of stories it looked like it was telling - Day In The Life adventures discussed on different members of the family - seemed exactly what's needed for the Characters.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Yeah isn’t it basically just down to DCeased, Injustice, and Batman the animated series?
    If Batman Gotham Nights and Wonder Woman Agent of Peace are indeed over, then yes. The daily digital firsts will be gone and only the three you mention plus Harley Quinn Red White and Black will remain.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I enjoyed the three stories we got for Shazam: Lightning Strikes, though I really wish DC had commissioned a run similar to what they did with Venditti on Superman: Man of Tomorrow, where they were all one and dones, but they were still connected to each other.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Does anyone think that the concept of a larger Shazam! family is limiting the character's outside appearances.
    Not at all, I feel the opposite, they should have been thinking bigger!

Shazam and family is great, he's always had Mary, Freddy, and the Lieutenants. This is just the modern take on his "family".
    As well as his regular family, he would also feature on a whole other hero team.

If anything he should have had his other Fawcett City Crusaders /Squadron of Justice team, made up of classic Fawcett heroes and Legacies.

Where he's wasted and diminished is on the JL playing second to Superman, and answering to Batman.

He needs a bigger presence, and adventures as champion and leader of his other team.
    Competing with the JL, not trying to join them.
    That is where DC constantly failed the Fawcett heroes.
    (although with the state of DC and the industry not likely)

(now added Isis to the team (fyi I only edited this illustration to add Ms. Scarlet idea, and ISIS, and have since lost the link to the original artist responsible for this charming piece, https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6c/2d...ca6c404b55.jpg if that person or anyone has the link please share it here))
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-17-2020 at 07:17 AM.

Hey even though I haven’t seen a preview anywhere, don’t forget that the final issue of Geoff Johns run (but not the final issue) is out tomorrow with Shazam fighting Mister Mind and I guess Superboy Prime.

Edit: Oh wait there is a preview

https://graphicpolicy.com/2020/08/30/preview-shazam-14/
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Hey even though I haven’t seen a preview anywhere, don’t forget that the final issue of Geoff Johns run (but not the final issue) is out tomorrow with Shazam fighting Mister Mind and I guess Superboy Prime.

Edit: Oh wait there is a preview

https://graphicpolicy.com/2020/08/30/preview-shazam-14/
    I'll miss this series; it feels as if it was just properly taking off.

Does anyone know if the JSA will still be appearing in Geoff's final issue?