Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I kinda feel the same way about Mary's anime short skirt going on there, which I think Supergirl also had something like at the time.
    Pretty sure both Supergirl and Mary have like short shorts under their skirts usually.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Man, that's cringe. Mary looks upset to even be involved in the image.
    She looks aghast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
    How do you all feel about the crazy ass team Shazam's put together for his Future State Book?
    Pretty random, but good to see Billy in a prominent way.
    Pretty sure both Supergirl and Mary have like short shorts under their skirts usually.
    I know Kara does because I read her book. I don't think we've seen one way or another with Mary.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Man, I know that costume is intended to be intentionally trashy, but that would absolutely not fly today. Strange to think that was only ten years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    The shortness of the skirt I blame on the artist. The costume itself is fine. To be honest, it's drawn as more of a belt than a skirt in this image... But the evil Mary costume, any way you draw it, that's a dominatrix outfit.
    2005 actually, but I don't necessarily agree. The outfit doesn't really seem that far off from what Crime Syndicate Superwoman might wear. In fact it's somewhat close to Superwoman's costume from Crisis on Two Earths animated film, which kind of makes sense since that Superwoman was also composite counterpart to Mary.

And yes, it looks like a dominatrix outfit, on purpose. After the Super Buddies(what this JLI reunion was calling themselves) escaped Hell, they ended up in an alternate universe and met evil counterparts of them selves. As a contrast normal Mary who was characterized as something of a Pollyana type character straight out of the 1940's-1950's in this series, her counterpart was a literally a dominatrix stripper. In this case the sexualization is literally being played for a joke.

I guess an alternative take would have been to make her counterpart an extreme goth parody.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Man, that's cringe. Mary looks upset to even be involved in the image.
    It should be noted that particular image is just high quality unnofficial fan art. The actual cover and story art was somewhat less pin-up-y.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    2005 actually, but I don't necessarily agree. The outfit doesn't really seem that far off from what Crime Syndicate Superwoman might wear. In fact it's somewhat close to Superwoman's costume from Crisis on Two Earths animated film, which kind of makes sense since that Superwoman was also composite counterpart to Mary.

And yes, it looks like a dominatrix outfit, on purpose. After the Super Buddies(what this JLI reunion was calling themselves) escaped Hell, they ended up in an alternate universe and met evil counterparts of them selves. As a contrast normal Mary who was characterized as something of a Pollyana type character straight out of the 1940's-1950's in this series, her counterpart was a literally a dominatrix stripper. In this case the sexualization is literally being played for a joke.

I guess an alternative take would have been to make her counterpart an extreme goth parody.

It should be noted that particular image is just high quality unnofficial fan art. The actual cover and story art was somewhat less pin-up-y.
    Very appreciative for the clarification. And here's the real deal (courtesy of Kevin Maguire):

Last edited by K7P5V; 10-19-2020 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

How do you all feel about the crazy ass team Shazam's put together for his Future State Book?
    It looks very cool. But Tim Sheridan is writing and he’s mixed for me, specifically when it comes to endings. We’ll see how he does.

Do you really expect anything in Future State to have a proper ending? Most of them were originally meant to be the first arcs of new ongoing books.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Do you really expect anything in Future State to have a proper ending? Most of them were originally meant to be the first arcs of new ongoing books.
    I'd like to think they've been edited to resolve enough to maybe entice future stories but leave off at a good stopping point.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post

I'm aware. I read and own those books. I know it was the joke, but even so, she's usually portrayed as a minor so I can see that book getting lambasted on social media and probably avoided these days. I didn't realize it was 2005, though. Time flies when you get old.

What's going on with this series? I thought it was only a twelve issue miniseries but I saw issue fifteen today.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    What's going on with this series? I thought it was only a twelve issue miniseries but I saw issue fifteen today.
    Two issues had nothing to do with the main story, I think both written by Jeff Loveness, and then I think Geoff Johns made an extra issue an oversized issue to finish his story.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

So question... I’ve read Geoff Johns Shazam run and I enjoyed it as it’s own thing, but what exactly is Shazam’s connection to continuity right now?

Because last we saw Shazam was in Hell Arisen as Batman who laughs puppet and supposedly Justice League International history is canon but it doesn’t quite fit. Then again there are a lot of characters with weird fitting continuity so who knows at this point right.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

The Batman Who Laughs brainwashing is over. Supergirl, Donna Troy and Commissioner Gordon have all been seen since.

Yeah, anything pre-New 52 for Shazam doesn't make sense for this version of Billy. But one issue from Johns' run did show graves belonging to Captain Marvel. Has Billy been retconned as a legacy character, maybe? This would also explain why current Freddy is blonde when he previously had dark hair, and why Billy and Mary are no longer blood siblings.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    It was an ongoing. Two issues were filler by another writer, and it was cancelled at 15, so what should've been the next arc - Superboy Prime - was wrapped up in one issue.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 11-01-2020 at 08:27 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The Batman Who Laughs brainwashing is over. Supergirl, Donna Troy and Commissioner Gordon have all been seen since.

Yeah, anything pre-New 52 for Shazam doesn't make sense for this version of Billy. But one issue from Johns' run did show graves belonging to Captain Marvel. Has Billy been retconned as a legacy character, maybe? This would also explain why current Freddy is blonde when he previously had dark hair, and why Billy and Mary are no longer blood siblings.

It was an ongoing. Two issues were filler by another writer, and it was cancelled at 15, so what should've been the next arc - Superboy Prime - was wrapped up in one issue.
    Which is really bad if you ask me, because the Superboy prime arc was supposed to have the post Doomsday Clock JSA and I would have really liked to see Shazam reconnect with the JSA. I’m not sure if they would have redone the Stargirl romance because there were some problems with that storyline but I at least like Shazam being friends with and an on and off member of the JSA.
    Words to live by.

Alright so after Future State, Tim Sheridan will continue to write Shazam although in the Teen Titans Academy series which apparently Shazam will be a cast member of. Personally I’m fine with Billy joining the Titans, might be fun to have him in a regular series where he can interact with other characters again.
    Words to live by.

Edit: accidental double post.
    Words to live by.