Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default When did Franklin Richards hair go black ?

I haven't followed the Fantastic Four is years, last I looked Franklin Richards had blond hair, now it is black ?.
    What happened ?.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

He dyed it. Somewhere on Slott's run, back on the earlier issues IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixThanos View Post
    I haven't followed the Fantastic Four is years, last I looked Franklin Richards had blond hair, now it is black ?.
    What happened ?.
    He heard the 2nd Dashboard Confessional album
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    He heard the 2nd Dashboard Confessional album
    Hahaha he turned goff boy.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    He dyed it. Somewhere on Slott's run, back on the earlier issues IIRC.
    Yup. Fantastic Four #5.
    Here's Valeria telling Sue about it.

Later in the issue, it's revealed.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Hey it's ben's second aunt petunia! The first one was killed but good thing he had two of them! Always good to have a spare aunt!

Here was the first version that was killed.

[IMG][/IMG]

Mighty Member

Watsonian: He dyed it because he has an emo phase

Doylist: They wanted to differentiate him from the Human Torch. Wish they would do that to Valeria rather than draw her as a mini-angry Sue all the time.

Doylist Part 2: The current artist doesn't want to create an original character design/can't draw more than a certain number of faces, so he copied and pasted his Sam Alexander design and passed it off as Franklin.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Hey it's ben's second aunt petunia! The first one was killed but good thing he had two of them! Always good to have a spare aunt!

Here was the first version that was killed.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Didn't Tom Brevoort offer a no prize as to why Aunt Petunia is still alive and not killed by Clyde Wycham aka Marquis of Death and the Master of Doom? But really, I can't understand why they changed her appearance since it was explained that Penny was Jake Grimm's second wife. She worked for him as a nurse in his practice and they fell in love and got married after the death of his first wife.

I hope the next FF writer undoes some of Slott's stuff, like Franklin's hair. O

Probably to dump the huge age gap between Jake and Petunia. Byrne seemed to have a thing for large age gaps for some reason.

Yes, I think that is probably why and Slott probably didn't want to go through the explanation all over again. I thought it was a clever surprise myself. But then sometimes when I watch old movies it gets creepy to see how many older actors had much younger leading ladies. There was gray haired James Stewart pursuing Kim Novak (who was in her early 20s) in Vertigo or all of Grace Kelly's leading men like Bing Crosby and Gary Cooper.

That last Millar story was awful and ignoring both it and Byrne's weird age gaps is good.

But you can't ignore all of it. After all Val is the way she is partially from Millar's run. Her birth of course is another issue. But it was in Millar's run that we had a 2 year old (approximately but it's hard to tell) Val discussing science with her dad when we never saw her reading. She should have been wearing pull ups and potty training. Hickman chose to take the lemon and made lemonade out of it at least. But Val under Slott has been boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Didn't Tom Brevoort offer a no prize as to why Aunt Petunia is still alive and not killed by Clyde Wycham aka Marquis of Death and the Master of Doom? But really, I can't understand why they changed her appearance since it was explained that Penny was Jake Grimm's second wife. She worked for him as a nurse in his practice and they fell in love and got married after the death of his first wife.

I hope the next FF writer undoes some of Slott's stuff, like Franklin's hair. O
    The Aunt Petunia references before Byrne's introduction of her indicated an older woman. I'd like to believe Byrne took this story step for surprise value only, but a few of the references seemed creepy when thought of with a younger woman. "My Aunt Petunia used ta give me a jelly bean after my medicine". Seeing Petunia as older, but maybe not as old as we imagined is fine.

As for Franklin's hair, he's a teenage boy. Teenage boys are known to be idiots. He'll wash the color out as soon as he finds a girl who prefers blonds.

Once you go black, you never go back......

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    Watsonian: He dyed it because he has an emo phase

Doylist: They wanted to differentiate him from the Human Torch. Wish they would do that to Valeria rather than draw her as a mini-angry Sue all the time.

Doylist Part 2: The current artist doesn't want to create an original character design/can't draw more than a certain number of faces, so he copied and pasted his Sam Alexander design and passed it off as Franklin.
    If artists draw them correctly, according to the designs used in Slott's first arc, then Sue's hair should be longer than Val's, and Val also has bangs. But the artists aren't consistent (issue 5 is actually a good example of this as several artists were involved - Sue has a different hairstyle in the following pages after the first two I posted, and it's meant to be the same day).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman