Mighty Member

Default Different Powers/more Variety in Lantern Colors

Hello,

I already started a Thread on this Topic, but since I mentioned YJ there it goes more in YJ direction.

So I try to explain it another time:

What I would like to see in the whole DC Universum are more Superheroes with seldom used or unusual powers or powers which are used by Villain.

Traci Thirteen with her urban magic powers was for example such a character
    Terra and Geo-Force with their powers etc.

I would for example really love to see Superhero Versions of Jinx...

I kind of miss characters whose Superpowers really impress me like Storm of Marvel, Raven, Terra and Geo-Force,Zatanna,Vixen etc. etc.
    The Blue Electric Superman and H'El with his Telekinetic Powers were also really impressive..

I would also like to see more variety in Lantern Colors as Superheroes of the Earth...

BANNED

I don't find Zatanna's powers impressive. I find them incredibly ill defined and random, and I think that's why magician characters at DC and Marvel often have trouble really getting over and staying over.

They're constantly pulling powers out of their asses and whipping up mcguffins whenever they need to. We generally know what Spider-Man is capable of, but someone like Zatanna is doing all kinds of random crap, and it becomes difficult to get any kind of believable base of what the character can and cannot do, which is something that can very wildly depending on the writer and situation.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 01-25-2020 at 03:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    I would also like to see more variety in Lantern Colors as Superheroes of the Earth...
    I'd love to see Carol Ferris stepping out the GL titles and being a hero on her own:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ultimate Member

Some less generic and more thematic uses of those emotional/color spectra would be interesting.

Imagine someone who taps into the yellow/fear spectrum, and isn't a ring-bearer who makes generic energy constructs, but instead causes fear, and feeds off of fear to materialize your fears as solid manifestations. They'd have no control of what is appearing, and couldn't just create giant yellow boxing gloves to punch people, but their manifestions wouldn't necessarily be yellow. If your fear is spiders, the giant spider fear contruct is going to look exactly like a giant spider, and not a big yellow cartoon spider made of energy!

But someone tapping into red/rage wouldn't create 'anger constructs,' but instead channel their energy internally, and affect others emotionally, both growing stronger and tougher as they get angrier, but also radiating an aura that makes others grow unfocused and clumsy as *they* get angrier, as you feed off of their anger, and it only makes you stronger, and them less capable (and giving such a person a strong incentive to 'talk trash' when they fight, to make their enemies angrier, and both strengthen themselves and weaken their foes!).

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    I don't find Zatanna's powers impressive. I find them incredibly ill defined and random, and I think that's why magician characters at DC and Marvel often have trouble really getting over and staying over.

They're constantly pulling powers out of their asses and whipping up mcguffins whenever they need to. We generally know what Spider-Man is capable of, but someone like Zatanna is doing all kinds of random crap, and it becomes difficult to get any kind of believable base of what the character can and cannot do, which is something that can very wildly depending on the writer and situation.
    Based on what she can do she is impressive...AND she is a character who you remember...

But anyway it DOESNT matter, she is only an example and its not based on her, but my point is more that I would like to see more VARIETY in powers and not only Super-Strenght, Flying, Energy Blast...which many DC Superheroes have.

Like Aura (of the Ravers) with her MAGNETIC POWERS..

Based on what she can do she is impressive...AND she is a character who you remember...

But anyway it DOESNT matter, she is only an example and its not based on her, but my point is more that I would like to see more VARIETY in powers and not only Super-Strenght, Flying, Energy Blast...which many DC Superheroes have.

Like Aura (of the Ravers) with her MAGNETIC POWERS..
    More unique power sets would be cool. I think writers struggle a bit because so many writers rely on punching as the only solution. So superstrength is easiest to allow them to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post

Yeah I think Zatanna would really benefit by having some sort of weakness or drawback to her powers.

Its hard to have her team up with characters like Batman or be on the Justice League when she can just end any threat in seconds. And if she doesn't she has to be the first one in the team knocked out cold or rendered unable to talk just so she cant instantly end the fight.

It would be nice to see spellcasters focus on specific types of magic.

I remember back in the '80s, before all the rainbow colors, the only limit to what a Green Lantern ring could do was the bearer's imagination.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    More unique power sets would be cool. I think writers struggle a bit because so many writers rely on punching as the only solution. So superstrength is easiest to allow them to do that.

Yeah I think Zatanna would really benefit by having some sort of weakness or drawback to her powers.

Its hard to have her team up with characters like Batman or be on the Justice League when she can just end any threat in seconds. And if she doesn't she has to be the first one in the team knocked out cold or rendered unable to talk just so she cant instantly end the fight.
    Her being 'overpowered' is really because that's how the writer understands or comprehends magic.

Superman could instantly end a fight, too, but he doesn't.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.