Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Default Best Norman Osborn stories?

Just what the title suggests, I’m intrigued at what are the best Norman Osborn stories? Didn’t call him Green
    Goblin simply just because he’s gone under quite a few different names the last 20 or so years (Iron Patriot/Red Goblin etc)

For me, high on the list has to be Thunderbolts by Ellis & Deodato or Siege by Bendis.

Extraordinary Member

I had so much fun during Dark Reign. Seeing him out of his element was fun and you really couldn't help but root for him.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I had so much fun during Dark Reign. Seeing him out of his element was fun and you really couldn't help but root for him.
    I was personally just awaiting his ultimate self-inflicted downfall, with Spider-Man (and everyone else, villains included) knowing from almost the start that Norman didn't have the stability to maintain his new position forever, but it was fun, in a twisted kind of way, to see Spidey's worst enemy elevated to a threat to the entire superhero community through his savvy at manipulating the media and the public. The only disappointing thing for me was that there wasn't a similar elevation of Spider-Man since with Tony Stark on the run and Steve Rogers still "dead," Spidey rallying the Avengers and/or other heroes against Osborn's Dark Reign would have been spectacular.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I’ve always liked A Death in the Family arc from Peter Parker Spider-Man vol 2... the one with Ramos on art. Dark story but very good.

Im also a big fan of his return issue at the end of Revelations.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    I’ve always liked A Death in the Family arc from Peter Parker Spider-Man vol 2... the one with Ramos on art. Dark story but very good.

Im also a big fan of his return issue at the end of Revelations.
    Good stories to recommend. I think Marvel Knights Spider-Man #1-12 by Mark Millar would rank pretty highly, as he really seemed to get what made Norman Osborn so twisted and yet so compelling as Peter Parker's archenemy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Good stories to recommend. I think Marvel Knights Spider-Man #1-12 by Mark Millar would rank pretty highly, as he really seemed to get what made Norman Osborn so twisted and yet so compelling as Peter Parker's archenemy.
    That's my favorite. I think that's the greatest Green Goblin and Spider-Man story in the comics, any continuity, but especially 616. Millar's take on Norman there is I think the defining one. It gives him a motivation for him being Goblin and hating Spider-Man that's unique, he sees it as an outlet to a midlife crisis. That final letter at the end is really chilling and cruel, both sarcastic and sincere.

My favorites are:
    -- Marvel Knights Spider-Man
    -- ASM#14 - The Grotesque Adventure of the Green Goblin (his first appearance and still the best)
    -- ASM#26-27 - The Crime Master 2-Parter.
    -- Revenge of the Green Goblin by Roger Stern

-- Paul Jenkins' A Death in the Family.
    -- Bendis' The Pulse Issues #1-6
    -- Kelly Sue DeConnick's OSBORN
    -- Warren Ellis' THUNDERBOLTS

My two favorite portrayals of Norman Osborn is Willem Dafoe in Spider-Man 1, as well as The Spectacular Spider-Man.

The Pulse #1-6, a.k.a. "Thin Air", is fantastic. The story is a hard-boiled look at the Spider-Man universe and Osborn's psyche. I love how they develop the horror element with Norman and his Goblin persona.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    That's my favorite. I think that's the greatest Green Goblin and Spider-Man story in the comics, any continuity, but especially 616. Millar's take on Norman there is I think the defining one. It gives him a motivation for him being Goblin and hating Spider-Man that's unique, he sees it as an outlet to a midlife crisis. That final letter at the end is really chilling and cruel, both sarcastic and sincere.

My favorites are:
    -- Marvel Knights Spider-Man
    -- ASM#14 - The Grotesque Adventure of the Green Goblin (his first appearance and still the best)
    -- ASM#26-27 - The Crime Master 2-Parter.
    -- Revenge of the Green Goblin by Roger Stern

-- Paul Jenkins' A Death in the Family.
    -- Bendis' The Pulse Issues #1-6
    -- Kelly Sue DeConnick's OSBORN
    -- Warren Ellis' THUNDERBOLTS

My two favorite portrayals of Norman Osborn is Willem Dafoe in Spider-Man 1, as well as The Spectacular Spider-Man.
    Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    The Pulse #1-6, a.k.a. "Thin Air", is fantastic. The story is a hard-boiled look at the Spider-Man universe and Osborn's psyche. I love how they develop the horror element with Norman and his Goblin persona.
    If I recall right, didn't the exposure of Norman's identity as the Goblin in The Pulse lead directly into Mark Millar's Marvel Knights Spider-Man? That said, those are all excellent Norman Osborn stories, and Ellis's Thunderbolts is especially excellent because like with Carnage: Mind Bomb a decade earlier, Ellis really does well with getting into the headspaces of utterly irredeemable psychopaths. Jenkins's A Death in the Family is up there, too, because it shows that while Osborn can torment Peter all he wants, he only does it because deep down, he knows his fixation on destroying Peter's life and psyche is a cover for the fact that he has nothing else worthwhile in his own life or in himself, and it's that gnawing void that eats at him and drives so much of his animosity toward Peter. It'd be rather saddening, if not for the utterly monstrous lengths he's gone to in the service of breaking Peter and ruining his life.

Astonishing Member

How Green Was My Goblin/The End of the Green Goblin, TASM #39-40.

Connecting to Dark Reign, I would say American Son might be one of if not my favourite of the Brand New Day stories.

It's an excellent Peter/Spider-Man/Norman/Harry story that really delves into the complicated dynamic between the 3 (or 4) characters. It even gets very brutal at points, and has an incredibly intense final fight. Really funny too, very underrated when it comes to Joe Kelly's Spidey works)

(Also as kind of an epilogue, the Dark Reign: The List one-shot by Slott is also incredibly great and has some of my favourite moments. "Look! Naked Belgians!")

The Crime Master two parter from ASM 26-27 was my favorite. With the Return of the Green Goblin where Spiderman runs from his fight with the Goblin because Aunt May had an attack. The early Goblin stuff is the best.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

The Spectacular Spider-Man Magazine #2 and ASM #96-98, because nobody mentioned yet.

As a kid, I enjoyed the post-Clone Saga stories featuring Norman -- he was interjecting himself into all facets of Peter's life and, to me, he was incredibly threatening: buying the Bugle, becoming Flash's mentor -- it just seemed like every time Pete and MJ turned around, there was Norman, involving himself with yet another Parker loved one.

-Pav, who was hoping Kaine would get him...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

BANNED

Already mentioned: Marvel Knights Spider-Man and Thunderbolts.

Amazing Spider-Man #96-98
    Harry Osbourn's first trouble with drugs.
    amaz_98017.jpg