Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Is that canon? Because my understanding was that Spectacular Magazine's B+W stuff was non-canon or rather non-616.
    It was full color.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    It was full color.
    It's also by the ASM creative team and references events from ASM. So I'd say it's definitely canon.

BANNED

It was full color.
    I just checked. You are right. The original issue of Spectacular Spider-Man Magazine was in B+W. But Issue #2 "The Goblin Lives" is in color.

It was reprinted in ASM Annual #9 in 1973 (same year as ASM#121-122 so technically it's a posthumous filler issue).

I'd say it's a gray area. It's not really been referred to much in-continuity.

How was the Osbourne mini-series? Worth reading?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    How was the Osbourne mini-series? Worth reading?
    The one by Kelly Sue DeConnick and Emma Rios? Yeah, it's quite good.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Good stories to recommend. I think Marvel Knights Spider-Man #1-12 by Mark Millar would rank pretty highly, as he really seemed to get what made Norman Osborn so twisted and yet so compelling as Peter Parker's archenemy.
    One I've not read. Worth the time, then?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Definitely, if you like Mark Millar. Not every spider reader is used to the Brits.

I'd say it's a gray area. It's not really been referred to much in-continuity.
    True, but it resolves a sub-plot from ASM, so for me there's little doubt.

BANNED

Definitely, if you like Mark Millar. Not every spider reader is used to the Brits.
    Even if you don't like Mark Millar, this is the one comic of his that really has his strengths and none of his weaknesses.

I am not a fan of Millar in general, and I think it's a real pity that his worst stuff (Old Man Logan, Ultimates, Civil War) has had a bigger influence than his best stuff (MK:Spider-Man).

The artwork by the Dodsons is also great.

BANNED

Even if you don't like Mark Millar, this is the one comic of his that really has his strengths and none of his weaknesses.
    Most readers rate this below the classic stuff, so I can't expect the average fan to take my advice unequivocally (only 33 votes, but still).

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I am not a fan of Millar in general, and I think it's a real pity that his worst stuff (Old Man Logan, Ultimates, Civil War) has had a bigger influence than his best stuff (MK:Spider-Man).

The artwork by the Dodsons is also great.
    In that regard, sorry if I'm derailing the topic, Millar's best work with Marvel is when he has someone firmly reining in his sense of cynicism. The other stuff you mentioned is generally what happens when his cynicism is allowed a freer hand to show itself, so we get ultraviolence for its own sake and superheroes being depicted as maladjusted, dysfunctional, and just plain awful excuses for human beings, let alone heroes. Of course, that stuff has greater influence with the masses and critics because "superheroes are ridiculous and terrible, anyway, and anyone who takes them seriously is a naïve, childish idiot at best and dangerously delusional at worst."
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    I'll second the recommendation. I've really enjoyed it.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets