Thread: New member here

Dshaffer

Default New member here

Hello comic book forum. Have a strange question for the comic book guys. My uncle, who passed away years ago, was a famous artist who created the el diablo character and also many batman comics for DC comics. I have many, many comic books originally autographed by him, along with many original sketches before they were actually published. I am interested in selling some of these items, could anybody point me in the right direction. Any comic book dealers on this forum that may be interested? Thanks, Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Dshaffer View Post
    Hello comic book forum. Have a strange question for the comic book guys. My uncle, who passed away years ago, was a famous artist who created the el diablo character and also many batman comics for DC comics. I have many, many comic books originally autographed by him, along with many original sketches before they were actually published. I am interested in selling some of these items, could anybody point me in the right direction. Any comic book dealers on this forum that may be interested? Thanks, Derek
    Take them on Antiques Roadshow so I can see them too! Otherwise I have no help, sorry...welcome to the forum though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dshaffer View Post
    First, in my opinion you should scan them, to keep a nice digitalised version of them.
    Second you might get in contact with DC itself for any rights issues.
    Third, don't give them out to the first dealer you find or on ebay.
    Fourth, I know nothing about selling such things but I would look for renouned dealers that have already selled such pieces.

Welcome to the forum! I'd echo the advice already given in that you should contact DC and only sell through a reputable auction house/dealer. DC folks could maybe connect you with someone. Also - scan at high res and photograph anything too large for a scanner. Good luck!

Incredible Member

So, Gray Morrow was your uncle? He was a fantastic artist. If you have unpublished work by him, you should contact TwoMorrows Inc. - they publish books about comics artists and comics history. Also check out comicartfans.com - a quick search there turned up 510 pieces of his art.

To sell the published comics, you have several options. A lot depends on how much time & effort you want to put into it. The largest financial results would come from researching sales of similar comics on eBay, and then listing yours for sale individually or in small groups. If you're busy enough already, you don't want to do all that, so you can ship your whole collection off to one of the big online retailers - Lone Star (mycomicshop.com) or Mile High (milehighcomics.com) either on consignment or outright sale. Before doing that, though, check with local comics shops in your area and see if they're interested. You might want to get some of the most valuable ones graded and "slabbed" by CGC (cgccomics.com).
    Last edited by Rob Allen; 01-28-2020 at 10:57 AM.
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
    So, Gray Morrow was your uncle? He was a fantastic artist. If you have unpublished work by him, you should contact TwoMorrows Inc. - they publish books about comics artists and comics history. Also check out comicartfans.com - a quick search there turned up 510 pieces of his art.

To sell the published comics, you have several options. A lot depends on how much time & effort you want to put into it. The largest financial results would come from researching sales of similar comics on eBay, and then listing yours for sale individually or in small groups. If you're busy enough already, you don't want to do all that, so you can ship your whole collection off to one of the big online retailers - Lone Star (mycomicshop.com) or Mile High (milehighcomics.com) either on consignment or outright sale. Before doing that, though, check with local comics shops in your area and see if they're interested. You might want to get some of the most valuable ones graded and "slabbed" by CGC (cgccomics.com).
    I was thinking his uncle is Mike Parobeck. He co created the 89 version of El Diablo and had a memorable run on The Batman Adventures.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    I was thinking his uncle is Mike Parobeck. He co created the 89 version of El Diablo and had a memorable run on The Batman Adventures.
    Ah, you're probably right. Gray Morrow didn't do much Batman. Good catch!

The rest of my post is still accurate, just substitute the right name.
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

Amazing Member

I'm a new member here too. Hello Dshaffer, and hello to everyone else.