Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Not all mutants have viable power, many have just weird mutations.
    Agreed I have the HC that the big majority of mutants are not at the X-men level and that`s why they suffer so much persecution on a daily basis the X-men can take care of themselves thanks to their powers and their training, the rest of the mutants not so much.

Losing Genosha should have been a bigger event than it was, should have huge marvel universe repercussions
    Exactly I didn`t expect Hickman to bring the Genosha sitiation back but it makes sense inside story for the characters to remember it.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

should have huge marvel universe repercussions
    The fact that it was barely a ripple kinda showcased the cold indifference of its neighbor human nations.

In the Black Panther title T`Challa thought a little about it but just in the sense that he was afraid of becoming like Magneto and he talked with Storm about it but yes cold indifference from almost everyone is the right word.

"To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

When I read the backstory of Genosha, I didn't get South Africa vibes until you mentioned it. Its almost reverse South Africa, because South Africa was exploiting its majority population with its minority white population. Genosha had its majority human population exploiting its minority mutant population with outright slavery. I got more of an Iran vibe, where a democratic but problematic country had their regime toppled and interfered with by outside (western) forces. But that might just be because I'm more familiar with the Middle East struggles than I am with South Africa.

Am I wrong that they tried to grant mutants more rights at one point before the civil war started up again? And Magneto getting control of the nation at gunpoint and almost declaring war on the world soured me on cheering for it.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    The fact that it was barely a ripple kinda showcased the cold indifference of its neighbor human nations.
    or that Morrison asked to no one else touch it

Probably still I don`t think it would have made much difference the X-men stories at the time didn`t do much with Genosha, its was in the Black Panther title were it`s situation really was given a little more thought thanks to Christopher Priest. Maybe it was a matter of perspective for the X-men at the time Genosha was a rogue nation lead by their main adversary while in the Black Panther titles it was a freenemy nation Wakanda had to deal with because of their proximiy but not neccesarily hostile, until eve of destruction of course.

How times change given now Krakoa is ruled by Xavier, Magneto and the X-men and Wakanda is seen as kind of hostile because it doesn`t want to trade with it. Knowing Hickman he probably will develop more Wakanda and Krakoa relationship.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 01-26-2020 at 06:59 PM.

The whole 'terrorist nation seized by threats of causing an apocalypse and threatened the world with war' was probably enough of a reason for the rest of the world to respond to its destruction with a shrug. Though racism surely played a part, because this is Marvel we're talking about.

But it is a bit weird that its just NOW becoming a huge rallying cry to the characters after several years of indifference. Hell, in E for Extinction Jean basically says that because Magneto and his nation died, his ideas are wrong and they shouldn't follow his example.

You continue to hold onto this notion that Morrison was intentionally malevolent to the X-Men, its characters, its fans and its themes. It's tiresome, being exposed to this alternate reality you ascribe to.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    The whole 'terrorist nation seized by threats of causing an apocalypse and threatened the world with war' was probably enough of a reason for the rest of the world to respond to its destruction with a shrug. Though racism surely played a part, because this is Marvel we're talking about.

But it is a bit weird that its just NOW becoming a huge rallying cry to the characters after several years of indifference. Hell, in E for Extinction Jean basically says that because Magneto and his nation died, his ideas are wrong and they shouldn't follow his example.
    Yes, Jean was being quite a jerk especially given Genosha had a mixed human/mutant population, blaming an entire nation along with her enemy it doesn`t reflect well on her today given her part in building Krakoa.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 01-26-2020 at 07:07 PM.

Astonishing Member

the book in which the xmen go to a destroyed Genosha and find Lorna there is one of the best xmen books ever, and makes me think Genosha should have been the real death of Magneto.

I mean this issue
    It's one of those few issues that has a full complete satisfying story in one issue, and I don't think it was extra size. in my headcanon, Magneto died in Genosha, and the Magneto we have had afterwards is a creation of Wanda. When Magneto died, Wanda was at the peak of her powers and close to House of M, recreating her father because she didnt want him dead would have been very easy for her.

New-X-Men-132-page-A-e1400600808776-660x785.jpg

That idea is interesting, my only problem with it is that it destroys all of Magneto`s character development post HoM with Cyclops, Lorna, Charles and the X-men so I am conflicted because it really has not been explained how he survived, he himself doesn`t remember much except being lead by some mutants who were telling him he was going to avenge them, he still wasn`t able to walk at the time, he was led to a refuge and then he just woke up post massacre.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 01-26-2020 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It didn't come from nowhere, it's just cute banter between husband and wife who are both superheroes. I know you hate Scott, but c'mon.

It was not his fault. "Every time" implies multiple times, and she was doing that more or less before he got there, and only once at his hand which has been reversed. It's basically a short vacation for her. She's a Phoenix, they always come back. It's one of the coolest things about her actually.
    Never saw Scott giving a compliment for Jean on the run, he is really dismissive of Jean.

Jean second dead was really a blow on her character. It started the "Jean only dies"
    That is not interesting "dying and coming back". Stories work much better without Jean dying, that cycle has the possibilitie to turn every Jean story on a big bore.

Noooo I'm pretty sure it was mostly 'cuz they was mutants....
    But it is a bit weird that its just NOW becoming a huge rallying cry to the characters after several years of indifference.
    You mean writers unable to follow Morrison? lol

Hell, in E for Extinction Jean basically says that because Magneto and his nation died, his ideas are wrong and they shouldn't follow his example.
    Issue?
    Yeeeeeeah I severely doubt that lol
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    You continue to hold onto this notion that Morrison was intentionally malevolent to the X-Men, its characters, its fans and its themes. It's tiresome, being exposed to this alternate reality you ascribe to.
    he had total control and made bad choices IMO

His run is very self contained so it is a big possibility that he asked to be only in X-books
    Last edited by spirit2011; 01-26-2020 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    In the Black Panther title T`Challa thought a little about it but just in the sense that he was afraid of becoming like Magneto and he talked with Storm about it but yes cold indifference from almost everyone is the right word.

This was before Genosha was lost, before the Legacy Virus had even been cured.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!