Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by biswaboxz View Post
    I know it wasn't Morrison's fault. It was Quesada's. I hate his guts.
    I understand that Quesada wanted to save Magneto but he should had done it before printing the issue.
    That should be somehting that people would had to live with it, the number of people not liking Morriosn run would be far bigger

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    She's pretty much the MVP of the Cassandra Nova arc. Owning the hell out of and humiliating the U-Men, giving some awesome speeches when hosting the human press at the school and winning over some hearts and minds, using her fists to take out Manta, being a great leader, housing Charles's entire mind and scattering it into all the mutants in the world, and generating a Phoenix raptor to scare away the disembodied Cassandra from Cerebra, etc. Plus while she's killed at the end of the run, she returns to take out the Big Bad and "amputates" the bad future.

She also has some great lines. "We have more important things to do than worry about whether our glowing eyes frighten the Republicans!" And some awesomely mythic ones when she's in Phoenix mode. I love Morrison's Jean, I don't care that he killed her. It just spared her from being in some dull, directionless crap until now anyway. If I was her, I'd want to peace out and avoid the X-Men storylines of the past decade or so too lol.
    Thanks for the refresher. When you put it like that, yeah, Jean was indeed pretty awesome during this run. Can’t believe I forgot so many of her moments. Definitely rereading the whole run this week! I own the hardcovers.

Have they ever done an omnibus of this run?

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Emma Frost is pulled out from under the rubble, holding the corpse of one of her students and literally covered in the ash of the rest. A couple pages later she's joking with Jean about what makes her a high class bitch. Its just.....what?

I will say Cassandra Nova was excellent. She came across as a monster that the X-men had no idea how to handle. Probably the best thing in the story.
    Then she was annoying both Tony and Carol with "where you were while our kids were burning?"

Fantastic Member Captain Buttocks's Avatar

She's pretty much the MVP of the Cassandra Nova arc. Owning the hell out of and humiliating the U-Men, giving some awesome speeches when hosting the human press at the school and winning over some hearts and minds, using her fists to take out Manta, being a great leader, housing Charles's entire mind and scattering it into all the mutants in the world, and generating a Phoenix raptor to scare away the disembodied Cassandra from Cerebra, etc. Plus while she's killed at the end of the run, she returns to take out the Big Bad and "amputates" the bad future.

She also has some great lines. "We have more important things to do than worry about whether our glowing eyes frighten the Republicans!" And some awesomely mythic ones when she's in Phoenix mode. I love Morrison's Jean, I don't care that he killed her. It just spared her from being in some dull, directionless crap until now anyway. If I was her, I'd want to peace out and avoid the X-Men storylines of the past decade or so too lol.
    To this day I absolutely adore her line "Scott, you're my favourite super-hero" when he teleports in at the end of Imperial. She's a great counter-point to some of Xavier's more... bombastic.. outbursts during this run. Whilst I'm not sold on Planet X, the moment where Scott is holding her body and tells them to "fetch Xorn.." is a real cruel gut punch.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Buttocks View Post

Now - Murder at the Mansion - there was a storyline that I could happily forget ever existed.....
    Really? I mean, considering you're a fan of the overall run I would love to hear your opinion on it. For me it's the best part of the whole run, just a plain unabashed superhero soap opera the way only the X-Men can do

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Buttocks View Post
    To this day I absolutely adore her line "Scott, you're my favourite super-hero" when he teleports in at the end of Imperial. She's a great counter-point to some of Xavier's more... bombastic.. outbursts during this run. Whilst I'm not sold on Planet X, the moment where Scott is holding her body and tells them to "fetch Xorn.." is a real cruel gut punch.
    You thought that was a good line?

Morrison made the meme of "Jean Dies" everytime.
    Last edited by spirit2011; 01-26-2020 at 12:49 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    I understand that Quesada wanted to save Magneto but he should had done it before printing the issue.
    That should be somehting that people would had to live with it, the number of people not liking Morriosn run would be far bigger
    The thing is Quesada wanted Jean to die and Xorn to remain Xorn but Morrison wanted Xorn to be Magneto from the beginning. They two clashed and it ended up in a mess.

BANNED

Morrison's best character was Jean. It actually explored Jean and Phoenix's power. He even wanted Jean to not die IMO.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

You thought that was a good line?

Morrison made the meme of jean everytime.
    I have to agree with Captain Buttocks. It IS a cute little line

What does "Morrison made the meme of Jean everytime" even mean?

Quote Originally Posted by biswaboxz View Post
    The thing is Quesada wanted Jean to die and Xorn to remain Xorn but Morrison wanted Xorn to be Magneto from the beginning. They two clashed and it ended up in a mess.
    Very funny that Quesada brought Morrison with free reign and then didn't liked what he was doing. Sales wise it was doing same as Claremot revolution.
    then later to wipe what he didn't liked, Quesada messed up so badly. The worse was Wanda.
    Mutants are recovering numbers and all. Hard is recover from another mental breakdown that erased mutants
    Last edited by spirit2011; 01-26-2020 at 12:45 PM.

Fantastic Member Captain Buttocks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    Really? I mean, considering you're a fan of the overall run I would love to hear your opinion on it. For me it's the best part of the whole run, just a plain unabashed superhero soap opera the way only the X-Men can do
    Sure since you ask so nicely

The problem I had with it is one of tone. For starters, if you're just reading New X-Men in a bubble, bringing two characters in out of nowhere in a school that has psychic powers and whatnot to solve the crime is a little contrived. Don't get me wrong - there's some nice stuff in there, the scene with Emma and wolverine commiserating as the "third wheels", Sage's "sun in a box" comment - but it plays out like an old drawing room murder mystery... without ever catching the murderer or properly solving the crime. Nor do we believe for a second Emma is actually dead. I'm also not sure about the time-frame since this Omega gang kid appears to be settled into prison despite this taking place straight after the riot...(wee bit nitpicky there) I also may be mis-remembering that scene appearing in the issue, apologies if so.

Also, Phil Jimenez is a fantastic artist, and capable of all sorts of dynamic action (he's one of the few superhero artists who remembers that Cyclops is nicknamed "slim" which is a personal bugbear of mine) so he gets to draw... Bishop in a trench coat drinking tea and questioning people. It feels like a real missed opportunity, thankfully he would turn in some good stuff during Planet X.

EDIT - I would point out that coming from most other writers I would say its just a bit meh and out of place, but I expect more from Morrison.

As a bonus - my Morrison arc rankings, first to last

Assault on Weapon Plus
    E is for Extinction (i include annual 2001 in that)
    Imperial (esp. the Quitely issues)
    Riot at Xaviers
    New Worlds (128-134)
    Planet X
    Here Comes Tomorrow (although Jean's speech at the end of 154 is a highlight)
    Germ-Free Generation
    Murder at the Mansion
    Last edited by Captain Buttocks; 01-26-2020 at 12:51 PM. Reason: extra stuff

BANNED

Very funny that Quesada brought Morrison with free reign and then didn't liked what he was doing. Sales wise it was doing same as Claremot revolution.
    then later to wipe what he didn't liked, Quesada messed up so badly. The worse was Wanda.
    Mutants are recovering numbers and all. Hard is recover from another mental breakdown that erased mutants
    Don't bring Wanda. He destroyed her like she was an evil psycho. He even framed her to be the person who was pulling the strings of Xorneto. It was just BAD real BAD.

EDIT: "HE" is Quesada btw
    Last edited by Vishop; 01-26-2020 at 01:02 PM.

I have to agree with Captain Buttocks. It IS a cute little line

What does "Morrison made the meme of Jean everytime" even mean?
    I thought it came from nowhere and very gratuitous. She was trying and Scott wasn't really deserving of that note.
    That is a pattern, it is Morrison talking, not Jean

I mean "Jean dying" everytime, it was his fault

Then she was annoying both Tony and Carol with "where you were while our kids were burning?"
    Really?

ugh

Morrison's Jean was great imo. I loved that Jean and I loved her interactions with almost all the cast members. Beast was great too. The gay thing was weird but it's something I'd expect Hank to do to prove a point lol.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I thought it came from nowhere and very gratuitous. She was trying and Scott wasn't really deserving of that note.
    That is a pattern, it is Morrison talking, not Jean

I mean "Jean dying" everytime, it was his fault
    It didn't come from nowhere, it's just cute banter between husband and wife who are both superheroes. I know you hate Scott, but c'mon.

It was not his fault. "Every time" implies multiple times, and she was doing that more or less before he got there, and only once at his hand which has been reversed. It's basically a short vacation for her. She's a Phoenix, they always come back. It's one of the coolest things about her actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    Really?

ugh

Morrison's Jean was great imo. I loved that Jean and I loved her interactions with almost all the cast members. Beast was great too. The gay thing was weird but it's something I'd expect Hank to do to prove a point lol.
    I loved his Beast as well.
    The gay thing didn't go anywhere really, but it was kind of an amusing and petty "f*** you" to Trish that Scott even points out that nobody else finds funny except him. Hank is a weirdo and it's great.