Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Never saw Scott giving a compliment for Jean on the run, he is really dismissive of Jean.
    I'm doubtful you looked that hard for any compliments from him to her.
    It's not as if she didn't have moments where she was dismissive of him either.

Jean second dead was really a blow on her character. It started the "Jean only dies"
    That is not interesting "dying and coming back". Stories work much better without Jean dying, that cycle has the possibilitie to turn every Jean story on a big bore.
    It's a good thing that's not all she does in the run though. Phoenix is her superhero persona and her power, death and rebirth is part of the larger Phoenix mythology she is a part of.

The X-Men (including Jean) can be bores for big stretches at a time due to the story ruts the franchise gets stuck in. It happened in the 90s and again before Hickman took over. I don't think she was missing out on much by being dead for a while.

he had total control and made bad choices IMO

His run is very self contained so it is a big possibility that he asked to be only in X-books
    A self contained run makes it better.
    Nothing is worse than reading a great comic and having it be hijacked by events in another comic or a crossover you're not reading and may not give a crap about. This is why fringe and indy books are often better than what the Big Two put out.

or that Morrison asked to no one else touch it

His run is very self contained so it is a big possibility that he asked to be only in X-books
    I wasn't really reading the wider Marvel run at this time(so I'm not sure if they referenced these things), but Morrison really did shake things up with the burgeoning mutant population set to overtake the human within a decade. That alone should have been felt across the MU. Honestly, he reached too high. Like Icarus, his story was doomed to failure, and honestly Quesada had no choice but to undo the mutant population explosion after the run(with No More Mutants) because the rest of the Marvel Comics should have been about nothing but the mutants taking over.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    That idea is interesting, my only problem with it is that it destroys all of Magneto`s character development post HoM with Cyclops, Lorna, Charles and the X-men so I am conflicted because it really has not been explained how he survived, he himself doesn`t remember much except being lead by some mutants who were telling him he was going to avenge them, he still wasn`t able to walk at the time, he was led to a refuge and then he just woke up post massacre.
    Yeah, it doesn't make any sense how Magneto survived. Like, where was he for all those weeks/months? I still don't understand how he supposedly took that Sentinel fist to the face, and then turned himself into Xorn and got chained up in China. That's probably the weakest link in Morrison's run. I loved "Xorn". We needed a new character, and a Chinese character, and I enjoyed his Buddhist pacifism. Reminded me of early Storm. I was DEVASTATED when the Magneto reveal happened! And then they made Magneto take over NYC and march people into ovens. Like, woah, Morrison. Calm the hell down.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I wasn't really reading the wider Marvel run at this time(so I'm not sure if they referenced these things), but Morrison really did shake things up with the burgeoning mutant population set to overtake the human within a decade. That alone should have been felt across the MU. Honestly, he reached too high. Like Icarus, his story was doomed to failure, and honestly Quesada had no choice but to undo the mutant population explosion after the run(with No More Mutants) because the rest of the Marvel Comics should have been about nothing but the mutants taking over.
    It was impossible for mutants numbers take over human billions in one decade. Unless mutants started genociding humans.

The good thing was that Morrison wiped out Genosha and majority of humans on the world were gone.

Quesada could had deal with it better than just wiped out 1 million and leave only 198 mutants.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Noooo I'm pretty sure it was mostly 'cuz they was mutants....

Issue?
    I'll do you one better. Here's the exact page.

People in the Marvel universe had pretty legit reasons for not giving a damn about Genosha beyond them being mutants.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Yeah, it doesn't make any sense how Magneto survived. Like, where was he for all those weeks/months? I still don't understand how he supposedly took that Sentinel fist to the face, and then turned himself into Xorn and got chained up in China. That's probably the weakest link in Morrison's run. I loved "Xorn". We needed a new character, and a Chinese character, and I enjoyed his Buddhist pacifism. Reminded me of early Storm. I was DEVASTATED when the Magneto reveal happened! And then they made Magneto take over NYC and march people into ovens. Like, woah, Morrison. Calm the hell down.
    Yes Morrison is the first writer I know who disliked magneto so much he tried to kill him off twice in one run . It was a good thing marvel retconned it but it would have been better if it had not been published in the first place when they were going to retcon it anyway a month later. And Yes, Xorn was a good character by himself he could have been a nice addition but now everytime I see him or his brother I remember that story and just want to pass over them.

But this does leave open the mystery of how magneto survived, Claremont had Charles ask Magneto but he didn`t remember anything, and he was healthy when they meet again, Bunn showed us some of Magneto`s memories surviving because his acolytes helped him get to a refuge but he was still too weak to effectively take care of himself how the hell did he survive on his own, unable to walk and in a deserted country it`s anyone`s guess, and if we take Morrison`s version at face value how could he possibly go to china under those circunstances?

So Bendis`s story of Wanda bringing him back makes sense the problem is that there`s no confirmation at all about that and it doesn`t explain why Wanda would do that.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 01-26-2020 at 08:48 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

It was impossible for mutants numbers take over human billions in one decade. Unless mutants started genociding humans.

The good thing was that Morrison wiped out Genosha and majority of humans on the world were gone.

Quesada could had deal with it better than just wiped out 1 million and leave only 198 mutants.
    Beast revealed in the opening arc that humanity had a termination gene in their sequence. Like programmed cell death. According to Morrison, humanity's days were numbered(there was a grave for humanity on one of the initial images...let me find it...).

I forgot how much I couldn’t stand Quietly’s art...

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    I forgot how much I couldn’t stand Quietly’s art...
    He has some storytelling panache, I think, (see the silent issue, for example), but I do think he is pretty bad with the female faces.

The kill command gene was a bad plot point. Its terrible science for starters, which, in X-men, is kind of expected I suppose. But second, it puts a genetic ticking clock on the human race. As time goes forward in the real and fictional world it just looks dumber and dumber. Its never going to happen, if only because it would require ending the entire rest of the Marvel line.

Plus it put the X-men into the line of thinking of "Well, the human race is dying out anyway. We just need to convince them its OK. Don't worry, WE'LL run the world soon!" Its super unhealthy and honestly kind of creepy? Like, that's the kind of thing maybe other people should be made aware of?

Well, it is what it is. After reading over it again, I see that Hank specifies it is going to take upwards of 3-5 generations to full run it's course, which, if we assume a generation is the time it takes to reach sexual maturity, is something like 45-75 years, which in comic time is like well over 250 years, so it is essentially something that will not come into play in an appreciable narrative sense.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    I'll do you one better. Here's the exact page.

People in the Marvel universe had pretty legit reasons for not giving a damn about Genosha beyond them being mutants.
    Okay soooo what part of this convo made you think that? seems pretty mutants heavy ...And when Jean made the reference to Genosha+Magneto she was explicitly talking to Emma, to keep her from a rash decision, not that the descruction of Genosha was proof that a mutant nation was impossible
    The kill command gene was a bad plot point. Its terrible science for starters, which, in X-men, is kind of expected I suppose. But second, it puts a genetic ticking clock on the human race. As time goes forward in the real and fictional world it just looks dumber and dumber. Its never going to happen, if only because it would require ending the entire rest of the Marvel line.
    How is it terrible science? We see evolutionary dead ends occuring nature. You speak of time as if Time moves at all in the 616....liiiike Franklin isn't going to be growing up soon so humantiy you're good
    Plus it put the X-men into the line of thinking of "Well, the human race is dying out anyway. We just need to convince them its OK. Don't worry, WE'LL run the world soon!" Its super unhealthy and honestly kind of creepy? Like, that's the kind of thing maybe other people should be made aware of?
    Most X-Men as a whole didnt know about the Egene. soooooooo not sure how it would have influenced any X-Mans thinking. Anyway....Why would the Xmen put that info out publicly? lol if 616 Flatscans ever found about the EGene they would EFF sh!t up. lol
    Well, it is what it is. After reading over it again, I see that Hank specifies it is going to take upwards of 3-5 generations to full run it's course, which, if we assume a generation is the time it takes to reach sexual maturity, is something like 45-75 years, which in comic time is like well over 250 years, so it is essentially something that will not come into play in an appreciable narrative sense.
    lol Yeah I don't why people would freak out that allllll their fav Avengers books are getting cancelled. It's like that Nickelodeon show Space Cases....I used to love that show and would root for them finding their way.....then I realized that'd be the end the show. (which ended hella early anyway. very few people shared my opinon apparently lol )
    GrindrStone(D)

Fantastic Member Captain Buttocks's Avatar

I would imagine that anyone who witnessed the very public screaming match he had with Joe Q at SDCC would disagree with this, or indeed anyone who read Morrison's book. Or who read the issue of UXM that came out a week before the reveal issue of NXM or even his manifesto for that matter.

EDIT - getting back on topic, whilst I can see why some have an issue with Quitely's art, I liked it for the most part. Especially some of the covers (120, 127 in particular) it had the kind of "sexy-pop" vibe that Morisson wa sinitially going for (and that disappeared halfway through)
    Last edited by Captain Buttocks; 01-27-2020 at 02:49 AM.

I read the second issue of E for Extinction (without paying for it because I was a teenager with no holiday money) in Midtown Comics in August 2001 after visiting the world trade center.

I don't know what cosmic channel Morrison and Quietly were plugged into, but the visuals of that arc presaged 9/11 and everything that came after in a way that is still creepy and upsetting.

I read Morrison's Jean as realising she's sick of Scott's myopic bullshit and I generally like the way he wrote her IF I ignore that she was always placed in opposition to Emma Frost and ignore the Wolverine-you-must-stab-me-to-save-me ****.

I'm all here for the start of Beast's evolution into the mutant Andrew Sullivan.

His Emma was a pathetic, dick-whipped husk.

(Wow! It boggles the mind to realize these issues were published before 9/11. The imagery is prescient...)

This is still really upsetting to read.

Morrison was a BIG IDEAS writer on X-men, and those big ideas were (mostly) very relevant and very interesting. He and Hickman have similar strengths and weaknesses (i.e. characterisation).

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I absolutely loved everything about Morisson's X-Era...the art, the writing the plotting...everything except for QQ. He made me loathe Quire with a passion (though I quite enjoyed the Special Class) so that speaks to his talent as a writer, at least to me.
    Nothing about his run was boring or uninteresting, conceptually and visually.

I love how Morrison started with the absolute Destruction of a nation and HiX-Man started with the Building of a nation.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 01-27-2020 at 08:51 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!