Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I just can't believe Morrison wanted Storm to have the affair with Cyclops at first. Even if it did sideline her in the modern age, I'm glad Lord Claremont swiped her for X-Treme, and Morrison shifted to Emma instead. Jean and Ororo fighting over Scott would just make me puke.
    GROSS. even the thought of that makes me want to vomit

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    It is possible that Scott got sexually assaulted and still cheated? of course it is. He ask Emma is TP sex is part of the therapy, she say yes, he trusts her.
    He saw it wasn't therapy but continued because he liked it. he made the decision. so it was cheating.
    The fact Emma abused her position and she totally should have been called out by that because seriously who would trust her as a therapist after that?, doesn`t mean Scott was sexually assaulted, probably it`s just the art but it was obvious, at least to me, since the begining she was flirting with him and called it therapy but it was him who agreed to keep going with her for it.

Well morrison did everything possible to make Jean look bad;
    Yes but Jean`s relationship with Logan wasn`t made up by Morrison So if we are gonna tackle it probably it would be better to bring the motivations of all the characters involved.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 01-28-2020 at 09:33 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

J-C was seriously working his magic on Emma prior to his untimely demise.
    I appreciated that while everyone else opted for the new, edgy, black leathers Emma remained true to her brand and aesthetic.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    I don't think that was true at all. But the thought of it make me nauseous
    Quote Originally Posted by starduck View Post
    GROSS. even the thought of that makes me want to vomit

I've never read the "Morrison Manifesto" in its entirety. Supposedly it is included in https://clio.columbia.edu/catalog/9052094?counter=1 the Claremont Papers at Columbia University if anyone has access, report back to us.

Looks like Grant did have more plans for Genosha, including having Gambit 'die' there and become some sort of kinetic ghost. Maybe Polaris/Magneto's recorded message was a recycled version of that.

https://www.xavierfiles.com/2019/10/...ll-on-genosha/

another interesting https://www.xavierfiles.com/2017/03/...ved-the-x-men/ about his run. Evidently he hated Magneto from the start, and that ending was included in his manifesto to begin with. (can someone find that thing...?)

“What people often forget, of course, is that Magneto, unlike the lovely Sir Ian McKellen, is a mad old terrorist twat. No matter how he justifies his stupid, brutal behaviour, or how anyone else tries to justify it, in the end he’s just an old bastard with daft, old ideas based on violence and coercion. I really wanted to make that clear at this time.” -Grant
    Last edited by yogaflame; 01-28-2020 at 10:04 PM.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Oh, Magneto. That was definitely one of my least favorite parts.
    Magneto isnt just a caricature or a nazi parody, there is a reason for why he is so popular and many people don't even think of him as a villain.
    People understand and even identify with him to a certain extent. He is a man that has suffered, he kills, he hates but he is also human, a guy genuinely concerned for his fellow mutants, not a drug addict/pedophile.
    At least Morrison's treatment of Magneto was retconned and he was spared permanent damage.
    Last edited by phoenixzero23; 01-28-2020 at 10:12 PM.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    Oh, Magneto. That was definitely one of my least favorite parts.
    Magneto isnt just a caricature or a nazi parody, there is a reason for why he is so popular and many people don't even think of him as a villain.
    People understand and even identify with him to a certain extent. He is a man that has suffered, he kills, he hates but he is also human, a guy genuinely concerned for his fellow mutants, not a drug addict/pedophile.
    At least Morrison's treatment of Magneto was retconned and he was spared permanent damage.
    Agreed no wonder marvel send the character back to Claremont and it was also done thanks to fans pressure.

“What people often forget, of course, is that Magneto, unlike the lovely Sir Ian McKellen, is a mad old terrorist twat. No matter how he justifies his stupid, brutal behaviour, or how anyone else tries to justify it, in the end he’s just an old bastard with daft, old ideas based on violence and coercion. I really wanted to make that clear at this time.” -Gran
    This is my main problem with Morrison because despite his big talk about being a person trying to develop big concepts or ideas in the end his pov was quite simplistic and not only with Magneto but also Scott and Jean and the X-men.

Ian Mckellen has nothing to do with Magneto`s popularity in comics, movie Magneto is not comics magneto rather movie Magneto exists because of comic magneto.

The reason why Magneto has so many stories and fans is because Claremont took an extremist but quite bland character, gave him a three dimensional characterization, with real emotions, story and a cause, wrote him quite realistically for years in a journey from villain who opposed the big powers of his time, to an uneasy ally of the X-men. So in comparision his despiction of him as a drug adiccted idiot who can`t help but be self destructive and only seems to be there for the X-men to punch looks quite pathetic and cartoonish, you don`t need to have big ideas to write any character that way and his insistence that he was writting an ultimate or even a big concept X-men story on Planet X where everything was made as schock value just makes him look arrogant.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 01-28-2020 at 10:48 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

To be fair, that is Magneto's pre-Claremont core. He had Wanda dance for him. He wanted a mutant homeland from which to lead an army of mutants and take over the world. He was cruel even to his team, especially Toad. Yes, Claremont came in and gave him the Holocaust backstory and all these layers and depth over the course of many stories, but even towards the end of his New Mutants run, his Magneto was already faltering. Then you have his actions in the Savage Land soon thereafter. It's possible Marvel pushed Claremont to steer Magneto back towards villainy for the 1991 series, but even at his best under Claremont, Magneto was on a fragile footing.

I do think Morrison went overboard with what he did in the end to Magneto, but some of his critiques were valid. Magneto's show does get a bit tiresome after a while. Especially modern Magneto, who pretended to be reformed under Utopia, but then goes around like a serial killer in Bunn's solo. There's something dreamy and romantic about Revolutionary Magneto, but that vaneer tends to fall apart if you really dig into it. And Morrison was not even the first writer to compare Magneto with Hitler(I think Lobdell's Eve of Destruction was quite clear in that sense, just before Morrison's run).
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Agreed no wonder marvel send the character back to Claremont and it was also done thanks to fans pressure.

This is my main problem with Morrison because despite his big talk about being a person trying to develop big concepts or ideas in the end his pov was quite simplistic and not only with Magneto but also Scott and Jean and the X-men.

Ian Mckellen has nothing to do with Magneto`s popularity in comics, movie Magneto is not comics magneto rather movie Magneto exists because of comic magneto.

The reason why Magneto has so many stories and fans is because Claremont took an extremist but quite bland character, gave him a three dimensional characterization, with real emotions, story and a cause, wrote him quite realistically for years in a journey from villain who opposed the big powers of his time, to an uneasy ally of the X-men. So in comparision his despiction of him as a drug adiccted idiot who can`t help but be self destructive and only seems to be there for the X-men to punch looks quite pathetic and cartoonish, you don`t need to have big ideas to write any character that way and his insistence that he was writting an ultimate or even a big concept X-men story on Planet X where everything was made as schock value just makes him look arrogant.
    Huh?? Dude it would feel disingenuous to not acknowledge Movie Magneto's role in softening 616 Magnetos image.
    From his Holocaust origins
    His stern grandpa protection of Xavier's students

Before Morrison's New X-Men Magneto dropped a mountain on humans killin about 10,000
    So...ya know
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Huh?? Dude it would feel disingenuous to not acknowledge Movie Magneto's role in softening 616 Magnetos image.
    From his Holocaust origins
    His stern grandpa protection of Xavier's students
    Both of those things were Claremont.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Both of those things were Claremont.
    Bro I kmow. I'm just saying those are 2 thing's about Magneto the movie audience would have seen that woulda softened his image as Magbrto in the 616 was wildin'out.

Lest we not forget Fassbenders turn as Magneto
    GrindrStone(D)

I just can't believe Morrison wanted Storm to have the affair with Cyclops at first.
    Any links to that please?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Any links to that please?
    DM if it's cool for links, kinks + the kitchen sink
    GrindrStone(D)

What movie Magneto ??

Ian Magneto has little redeem qualities, in X-Men 2 almost made his beloved friend kill every human on Earth.

Beyond screaming charles when Jean kills Xavier there is little gray area or how cruel he treated mystique when she turn human.

Fassbender Magneto is more close to claremont.

To be fair, that is Magneto's pre-Claremont core. He had Wanda dance for him. He wanted a mutant homeland from which to lead an army of mutants and take over the world. He was cruel even to his team, especially Toad. Yes, Claremont came in and gave him the Holocaust backstory and all these layers and depth over the course of many stories, but even towards the end of his New Mutants run, his Magneto was already faltering. Then you have his actions in the Savage Land soon thereafter. It's possible Marvel pushed Claremont to steer Magneto back towards villainy for the 1991 series, but even at his best under Claremont, Magneto was on a fragile footing.
    I agree with that: Magneto was always on a fragile footing when he tried to act as a benevolent character. Master Yoda would agree with that: the dark side is easier and more comfortable to Magneto.

The greatest problem with Magneto is his lack of trust. He has no friends with the exception of Xavier (who has been exceptionally understanding and has clung to this friendship). He may care for the mutants but, as a loner, he doesn't have meaningful relationships with them: the relation remains abstract. The mutants loved him as much as they feared him.

A Magneto that tries hard to fit in a group instead of making the rules is cute, in a way… But old habits…
    Still, it is this Magneto I find endearing: the one who tries to overcome his old reflexes and knows the difference between right and wrong.

I do think Morrison went overboard with what he did in the end to Magneto, but some of his critiques were valid. Magneto's show does get a bit tiresome after a while. Especially modern Magneto, who pretended to be reformed under Utopia, but then goes around like a serial killer in Bunn's solo. There's something dreamy and romantic about Revolutionary Magneto, but that vaneer tends to fall apart if you really dig into it. And Morrison was not even the first writer to compare Magneto with Hitler(I think Lobdell's Eve of Destruction was quite clear in that sense, just before Morrison's run).
    It's like recent authors haven't been able to decide where to situate Magneto, good, bad, in-between… He's a bit like a Swiss knife. It blurs the character and weakens him. With Claremont, it has been always clear.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Lapsus View Post
    What movie Magneto ??

Ian Magneto has little redeem qualities, in X-Men 2 almost made his beloved friend kill every human on Earth.

Beyond screaming charles when Jean kills Xavier there is little gray area or how cruel he treated mystique when she turn human.

Fassbender Magneto is more close to claremont.
    Hum, yes, Ian Magneto is a great character… as a bad guy, no doubt about that.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe