Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Hot garbage, in all honestly. With a few shining beacons of greatness mostly relegated to solo series that stayed away from the regular X-men. All New Wolverine and Shatterstar say hi.
    The X-Men literally has a book for everyone. Crazy how fans if the same thing are on the complete opposite endsin that they like
    GrindrStone(D)

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    For Cassandra Nova, I totally agree: she was downright scary.
    Her hatred didn't seem to have a logical reason and made her alien, inhuman…

For the rest… I found it interesting but the characters were too serious to my taste, too "adult" and then a bit depressing… Or maybe it was the art: rare are the comic artists that seem to like drawing old bodies with all their imperfections…
    Agreed

It's too bad that Genosha has lasted a short period of time: it would have made interesting stories. Curious…
    Nevertheless the name is very often used in X-men fanfictions as Magneto's realm… thanks to the movie probably.
    The movies had their own interpretation of Genosha:

Simon Kinberg revealed that he’s long wanted to introduce Genosha to the X-Men movies. “Genosha is something that I’ve always been fascinated by,” he said. “It’s sort of Oz for mutants. As a Jew, its parallels to Israel and the notion of the promised land intrigued me even as a kid. I was looking in previous X-Men movies for a way to incorporate it. It was something I thought about for Apocalypse, but then went in a very different direction.”

Krakoa seems to fit this concept too, just this time Charles is Oz
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    To SDuck's point...I would have loved to see Jean Grey and the Phoenix explored further. Though we got the White Phoenix of the Crown in the end, I thought the Jean/Phoenix paring ended too soon (and too easily) and I would have liked to see more (similar to how Rachel utilised it in Excalibur). Still, that is my only very minor, inconsequential nit regarding Jean in NXM.
    Yeah, his run was pretty good and Jean was his best character. He even set up an easy way to revive her with those phoenix eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Agreed

The movies had their own interpretation of Genosha:

Simon Kinberg revealed that he’s long wanted to introduce Genosha to the X-Men movies. “Genosha is something that I’ve always been fascinated by,” he said. “It’s sort of Oz for mutants. As a Jew, its parallels to Israel and the notion of the promised land intrigued me even as a kid. I was looking in previous X-Men movies for a way to incorporate it. It was something I thought about for Apocalypse, but then went in a very different direction.”

Krakoa seems to fit this concept too, just this time Charles is Oz
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

I'd say Moira is Ozma, the rightful Queen, but she may end up more of a Wicked Witch.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

I hope not I like Moira a lot well I liked her more as an human ally but I still like her.

Yes, right now Kraokoa leadership is like "pay no attention to the woman behind it all"
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Her character... almost all characters who are "Super Pals" either get killed off, Limbo'd or get powers themselves
    Her character begun expressing it's Extinction gene
    GrindrStone(D)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    For the longest time, I didn’t believe Cassandra Nova was an Xavier twin. Her timing in the story and her character concept made sense that she was in fact Weapon XI.

Over time I stopped caring.
    How did you not believe it? But there was a literally in illustration of Xavier and Cassandra fighting each other in the womb?

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    How did you not believe it? But there was a literally in illustration of Xavier and Cassandra fighting each other in the womb?
    Part of my theory relied on the fact that Weapon Plus utilized false memories.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    unless it is explicitly written by the writers/artists in FRONT OF YOU and approved by the EiC, Then it gets brought before Stan Lee in whatever afterlife he's in. It take Stan Lee 2 days to decide on f the page see print in AFTER and only AFTER all that will it maybe able to penetrate the head Canon of some posters.b
    GrindrStone(D)

The actual destruction of Genosha was ridiculously rushed, which lessened the impact a lot for me. Still, overall a good story - even if it's not everyone's cup of tea.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post

I agree, overall Morrison did a great job on his run, but I too think the ending sucked. It was almost like you could see the breakdown of his professional relationship with Marvel on the page, and the killing of Magneto and Jean seems to be quite petty in that regard.

Genosha was granted to Magneto [by the UN] after he held the whole world 'random' by flipping the poles or something, and then there were a mini series or two that showed him actually taking control of the country(which had been in a civil war between the humans and mutates essentially since X-Tinction Agenda in 1990), but overall, no, Genosha as Magneto's mutant homeland was not very well developed/explored before Morrison destroyed it. Lobdell's Eve of Destruction was the most we really saw of it at its prime(the Legacy Virus was ravaging the mutate population just before that arc), but yes, it was presented as having been transformed into this amazing city on a hill sort of society, in broad strokes. Certainly it was not explored as deeply as Krakoa already has, in terms of leadership, laws, commerce/economy, culture, etc.
    Interesting. What about the known mutants of Genosha? How many of them are dead?

Quote Originally Posted by starduck View Post
    I wish Morrison hadn't kill Jean. The way he was writing her setup so many interesting potential plots for her. She was headmistress, had bonded with the phoenix force with no signs of going dark, etc. Also it would have been interesting to see her and Scott as friendly exes and it would have been fun to see her frenemyship with Emma more
    Jean nevre shoewd any dark phoenix sign on the original story. She was really fine.

She only got dark phoenix after she discovered she was raped by mastermind.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Jean nevre shoewd any dark phoenix sign on the original story. She was really fine.

She only got dark phoenix after she discovered she was raped by mastermind.
    Her casually wiping the minds of the Prydes to avoid an inconvenient argument, blasting Emma into a coma after acting cocky and taunting her, and wrecking the car of the Hellfire goons chasing Kitty beg to differ. Also, there was no Phoenix force when that story was written, it was all her. Which is way more interesting.

Mastermind just made it worse and she might not have gone dark without his interference, but her edge was there. It definitely reads as a woman getting more powerful and that making her evil, something which Claremont seems to have regretted a bit and didn't repeat with the rest of the Claremazons.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Her casually wiping the minds of the Prydes to avoid an inconvenient argument, blasting Emma into a coma after acting cocky and taunting her, and wrecking the car of the Hellfire goons chasing Kitty beg to differ. Also, there was no Phoenix force when that story was written, it was all her. Which is way more interesting.

Mastermind just made it worse and she might not have gone dark without his interference, but her edge was there. It definitely reads as a woman getting more powerful and that making her evil, something which Claremont seems to have regretted a bit and didn't repeat with the rest of the Claremazons.
    Which is also what made Jean interesting imo. The struggle with the corrupting power et all. Without that definying story she would have probably ended up being Scott's girlfriend the one that faints like in the cartoon.

I mean, they tried to do something similar with Wanda but the results are kind of opposite. Jean grew up from the experience and matured and in the end she owned the big evil source of power, while Wanda was thrown under the bus with no redemption arcs whatsoever (slay the Prentender).

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    That actually gave her a character arc and made her one of my favorites instead of having her be a bland perfect saint put on a pedestal the way many Jean fans seem to want her to be.

it showed her as the heart and soul of the X-men while having a firey edge. As she should be, as the original Dark Phoenix saga depicted her.
    And also subverts it. There, her being powerful was painted as a bad thing and she was killed after being corrupted. Here, she basically said "you know what? Screw it, I'm not going to calm down or reign myself in. I feel more alive than I ever have before and you can either get on board with it or piss off." And it was awesome.
    I thought it made her extra bland. I don't want a goddess Jean that doesn't care about normal people.

I don't think it subverts Dark phoenix, the problem on DP was never that Jean had much power but that people broke her.

I liked that she embraced the Phoenix power that was good. But it meant nothing as she was killed again

it wasn't Morrison. Hate to break it to you, but Jean has been Phoenix off and on since the 70s. Death and rebirth are part of Phoenix lore since the dawn of time.
    She wasn't killed on dark phoenix, she was all the time on the depth of the ocean.

Morrison just reforced the presence of death on Jean life.

What would those be, exactly? For him and for the X-men? There's a reason why Scott's seeming character re-rerailment beginning in HoX #1 won some people over after the last few years.
    Whedon, Gillen, Bendis.

That is the fault of other writers and properties ignoring what is happening with the X-Men. Reap what you sow I guess.
    Maybe they weren't ignoring. It is X-office that break the rules of shared world