Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Classic Doctor Strange (Marvel Comics) Vs True Form Illyria (Buffyverse)

Been curious about this one for a while.

This is Illyria at her absolute most powerful as seen in the comic books.

How does it go?

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Can you share how powerful that is? Because my recollection from a few years back is "not nearly enough," but she might have had new feats since then.

True Form Illyria is capable of

-time/space manipulation (selectively alters the flow of time, freezes time, travels through time, etc.)
    -open portals to different dimensions (like ones teeming with shrimp)
    -super strength (leveled skyscrapers)
    -resurrection (resurrected/regenerated the dead -- she herself has transcended death a number of times)
    -geokinesis (triggered earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, and buried enemies alive)
    -shuffle her enemy's timeline around so he's either a child or an older man or (and this one is theoretical but makes sense) so old their bodies crumble into dust
    -finding a moment in time where existence ends while collapsing multiple dimensions along the way. Illyria nearly accomplished this in Wolfram & Hart's backyard, where they have reality-temporal warping powers but couldn't do much to stop her on their own.

Her weakest showing was being brought down by Wolfram & Hart's dragon-jet-things. Although she later admitted she wanted to lose, so...

I'm not sure if any of that helps against Classic Strange.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tomzilla View Post
    True Form Illyria is capable of

-time/space manipulation (selectively alters the flow of time, freezes time, travels through time, etc.)
    -open portals to different dimensions (like ones teeming with shrimp)
    -super strength (leveled skyscrapers)
    -resurrection (resurrected/regenerated the dead -- she herself has transcended death a number of times)
    -geokinesis (triggered earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, and buried enemies alive)
    -shuffle her enemy's timeline around so he's either a child or an older man or (and this one is theoretical but makes sense) so old their bodies crumble into dust
    -finding a moment in time where existence ends while collapsing multiple dimensions along the way. Illyria nearly accomplished this in Wolfram & Hart's backyard, where they have reality-temporal warping powers but couldn't do much to stop her on their own.

Her weakest showing was being brought down by Wolfram & Hart's dragon-jet-things. Although she later admitted she wanted to lose, so...

I'm not sure if any of that helps against Classic Strange.
    "hmmm. i might actually have to break a sweat for once."

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

That's all pretty salutatory, but Strange still seems to be operating on a much higher tier of power.

Crimson Bands, ten count, buh-bye. There's literally nothing in her arsenal that will let her defend against that, and nothing remotely hinting that she can break them. And I don't think that the showings she has are getting through his autoshields, so even should she win on the draw, it's not ending Steve before he can whip out the nasty.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

The big issue as I see it is most of that is impressive esoteric shenanigans, but Strange has the sort of magical defenses that let him function when the rest of the Earth has had time frozen. So fancy time shenanigans aren't likely to do him in like they would most opponents. Illyria needs the raw power to overwhelm him. Only thstclast showing hints at anything close to the oomph to do so, but it sounds like there is a lot of context involved so I'd need to read it. Issue numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    That's all pretty salutatory, but Strange still seems to be operating on a much higher tier of power.

Crimson Bands, ten count, buh-bye. There's literally nothing in her arsenal that will let her defend against that, and nothing remotely hinting that she can break them. And I don't think that the showings she has are getting through his autoshields, so even should she win on the draw, it's not ending Steve before he can whip out the nasty.
    It's been a while with both characters. What did movie Strange stop with the Crimson bands?

His time loops and dimension dumps are meaningless against Illyria.
    Power with Girl is better.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    It's been a while with both characters. What did movie Strange stop with the Crimson bands?

this is classic comics strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post

This isn't movie strange, it's Classic 616 Strange.
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    this is classic comics strange.
    OOPS! Never mind. Illyria is in big trouble.
    Power with Girl is better.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    The big issue as I see it is most of that is impressive esoteric shenanigans, but Strange has the sort of magical defenses that let him function when the rest of the Earth has had time frozen. So fancy time shenanigans aren't likely to do him in like they would most opponents.
    This. Normally time stops and the like would be problematic, but Strange futzes around with time, operates during time stops, that kind of thing himself.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    This. Normally time stops and the like would be problematic, but Strange futzes around with time, operates during time stops, that kind of thing himself.
    I just love the idea of Steve "futzing."

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    I just love the idea of Steve "futzing."
    Well, he makes bizarre gestures with his hands, so maybe that covers the 'fiddling' part. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Out of curiosity, given that Illyria in her true form is skyscraper size (or at least large tower block size, depending on who's drawing her), I was wondering when has Strange (Strange, not Dormammu) ever cast the Crimson Bands on a target anywhere near that scale?
    Last edited by KJS; 01-27-2020 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KJS View Post
    Out of curiosity, given that Illyria in her true form is skyscraper size (or at least large tower block size, depending on who's drawing her), I was wondering when has Strange (Strange, not Dormammu) ever cast the Crimson Bands on a target anywhere near that scale?
    Do you have more context on her "collapsing multiple dimensions" feat? Because if it's a raw power thing, then the Bands wont hold her anyways.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure