Default Replacing boards for single issues and general bag/board question

So I just saw a video from BCW saying to change these out and the suggestion is every 5 years. Does anyone do this? Also does anyone put books on both side of the board and bag 2 in 1 will it destroy the book long term?

I went down this road last year and researched everything I could find. This thread, albeit from 2011, steered me away from BCW:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/top...-amp-find-out/

I ended up switching everything out to Mylites 2 bags and Gerber boards. It was more expensive, but I enjoyed the process and feel better about the long term storage. Could be overkill, but that's how I roll. Good luck!

Spectacular Member

About ten years ago I spent significant money, bought Gerber boards and bags in bulk, and replaced all my old/cheap supplies. Buying in bulk at least brought the average price per 100 pack down to a reasonable price. The old stuff came from many different sources, and some of it was nasty. The project was fun, and you can reorganize your collection at the same time. The new stuff still looks great. I have no worries about it long term.

To answer your second question, I actually use silver age bags with modern boards, and put FOUR comics in each bag (2+2), assuming they aren't larger than usual. I suppose if you dropped a bundle, it would be more likely to damage a corner. Just don't drop it and you'll be fine. Saved even more money that way. Downside is that you can't see about half the covers when flipping through a box.

Fantastic Member

This is a waste of time & money. Even if the existing comic book bags/boards "degrade" over time I don't see how this could negatively affect the books. After all, the point of putting them in boards/bags is so that the comics will be protected from bending/the elements/etc. So, no matter what type of bag/board you use this should still protect the books - even over a long period of time.

Note most floppies these days aren't worth anything, and in many cases may even be worth less than you paid for them. Which just makes replacing the bags/boards every five years even more laughably pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by ROM Spaceknight View Post
    This is a waste of time & money. Even if the existing comic book bags/boards "degrade" over time I don't see how this could negatively affect the books. After all, the point of putting them in boards/bags is so that the comics will be protected from bending/the elements/etc. So, no matter what type of bag/board you use this should still protect the books - even over a long period of time.
    Note most floppies these days aren't worth anything, and in many cases may even be worth less than you paid for them. Which just makes replacing the bags/boards every five years even more laughably pointless.
    He didn't say what he was bagging/boarding. I'm not collecting modern floppies. I spent the time and money on higher quality, inert materials to preserve my collection of Silver and Bronze age floppies from my childhood. Acid destroys paper and non-mylar plastic off-gasses, breaks down chemically, and can generally make a mess out of your books. I don't plan to have to replace them every 5 years because I started with archival materials. I only keep things that I value personally and am willing to invest time/money to ensure they last a lifetime.
    Laughably pointless? Maybe. I think the same thing about the Super Bowl, but a lot of people tend to disagree!

I was talking modern books they will not be worth selling, was just curious after seeing it and seeing if anyone actually does that sounded like a way to just push bag and board sales and what long time collectors have seen with condition of books over the years.

Astonishing Member

No, I don't change the Boards/Bags. I have some for 10-20 years in the same Bag, and they are doing fine.

I put one on the front, one in the back, saves space and money.

I have a near complete run of Spider-man titles, however as I live in the U.K I was wondering where I can get microchamber paper to put in the inside covers, any help would be greatly appreciated. As for Ebay the postage from the U.S has an extra charge on top and that makes it very expensive per item ordered.
    Hail Hydra!

Looks like you can get it from Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/MIP-Bronze-...2683405&sr=8-1

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    Looks like you can get it from Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/MIP-Bronze-...2683405&sr=8-1
    Thank you Seeker, I'll keep an eye on the listing as I need the Silver age paper.
    Hail Hydra!

Incredible Member

I have around 19 short boxes of comics all bagged and boarded, changing them every 5 or so years is not likely as it would be expensive and a pain in the ass switching and replacing, basically if I see either a bag or board on it's last legs only then would I replace them (for example at many conventions I tend to buy many discounted comics already poorly bagged of which I'll replace).

And as others have said all those comics single issues are worthless no matter the bags and boards get replaced.

All-New Member

I have 32 short boxes of bagged and boarded comics, most using both sides of the board. I dont buy for speculation or flipping, so the only books I really worry about putting in mylar, or maybe even a top loader, are my favorites that would be expensive to replace. I have a couple of boxes of comics that have never been bagged and boarded, some as far back as the 1970s, that look to be in great shape still. No noticeable fading on the cover or browning of the interior pages that I thought that they would surely have. There was a time in my collecting that I got obsessed about it, but that just drained away the fun of reading. As long as the comic isn't ripped or stained and presents well, I'm pretty satisfied.