Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Green Lantern Mythos and Power Rings

I'm looking for information on and about the power rings. I want to preface this by saying this, this is not about whether it agree about x aspect of the mythos or b or whatever; I'm mainly looking for information about the canon and if it's canon it's canon. that being said, I was thinking about John Stewart's ring (or lack thereof) and, seeing as Snyder unfortunately appears to have forgotten to about it, I'm wondering is there any precedent on what it could be capable of, or could mean, or if there have been anything similar to have occurred in the wider Green Lantern mythology?

THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I'm guessing John isn't weakened by having to charge anymore. Seems like he doesn't have to charge.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I was thinking about John Stewart's ring (or lack thereof) and, seeing as Snyder unfortunately appears to have forgotten to about it,
    I told people that would happen, and they didn't want to listen to me. Everything I said--probably like a year or so ago--would happen to John Stewart in that Justice League run actually happened, and they didn't want to believe it or listen. I say this to point out that I don't just say stuff to say it. It's actually a warning to people for their own benefit. It's like I'm Jor-El or something.

BANNED

Alan Scott became a living battery. Hall could become willpower energy and not need the ring.

I'm wondering is there any precedent on what it could be capable of, or could mean, or if there have been anything similar to have occurred in the wider Green Lantern mythology?
    YES!!!!!!

This has shades of John's original Mosaic run, and his old story arc.
    Where John had already "bonded" with his power ring ages ago, becoming essentially a human Guardian in power and aspect.
    Went from being the young rebellious artistic GL to the one prophesied "architect", the creative-engineer (opening the doors of perception)
    This was John at the absolute height of his power and concept.
    From the young free-willed rebellious artist to essentially designing reality from pure free-will and thought.

And it was completley thrown out and he was instead crippled and stuck in a wheelchair, to instead make Kyle Rayner the young creative one , and at the time only Green Lantern.
    And essentially to give Kyle John's entire arc.

So when the cartoon (which had already introduced Kyle) used John (Hal was dead), instead of the young creative architect, the cartoon instead pretty much gave him Jordan's once square jawed personality and military bent. (John was nothing like that in the comic)

And they're still struggling on how to define John and make him unique, now that Kyle(the Ion-Rainbow) has replaced him as the young creative über embodiment of the concept.

This is just the character reclaiming what was already an essential part of his arc.

Last edited by Güicho; 01-26-2020 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

This has shades of Johns original Mosaic run.
    John had already "bonded" with his power ring ages ago, becoming essentially a human Guardian.
    The one prophesied "architect" creative-engineer (opening the doors of perception) essentially designing reality from pure free-will and thought.

This was thrown out and he was instead crippled and stuck in a wheelchair to make Kyle Rayner the only Green Lantern.

This is just the character reclaiming what was already an essential part of his arc.
    Yeah. That's when he became The Master Builder which was completely ignored by Marz. I still hate that.

I'm wondering is there any precedent on what it could be capable of, or could mean, or if there have been anything similar to have occurred in the wider Green Lantern mythology?

As far as this aspect.

In Emerald Dawn one of the first full retellings of Jordan's origin, it has him being the first and only one to actually enter the battery, indication that he is merging with becoming the power itself. So this dates back pretty far. Later retcons explored this too, as it's where he was (suposedly) exposed to the Parallax entity.

Although Jordan surrenders the power.
    Last edited by Güicho; 01-26-2020 at 05:41 PM.

Kingdom Come (alternate future) had Alan Scott bond with the battery and power.

DKSA (another alternate future) also explored Jordan becoming a being of pure GL energy / pure will-power. Seems like a logical inevitability for the characters.

jade of course also embodies this, she was born that way.
    Last edited by Güicho; 01-26-2020 at 06:40 PM.

As far as this aspect.

In Emerald Dawn one of the first full retellings of Jordan's origin, it has him being the first and only one to actually enter the battery, indication that he is merging with becoming the power itself. So this dates back pretty far. Later retcons explored this too, as it's where he was (suposedly) exposed to the Parallax entity.

Although Jordan surrenders the power.
    Actually, it was GLC #221-224 (when Hal first entered the Central Power Battery to fight Sinestro's ghost that had bonded with the Yellow Impurity/Parallax Entity after his execution) where Hal was first infected by the Yellow Impurity/Parallax Entity under Johns.

37648_20060524144655_large.jpg

37649_20060524144703_large.jpg

37650_20060524144710_large.jpg

Amazing Member

what about Issue 150 in the 1990 series where Kyle states to Jade that he modified his ring before giving up the Ion powers and recharging Oa battery that he no longer has to recharge his ring that it will always have energy to get out of most problems

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    Actually, it was ....
    Yeah that's why I clearly said the first full retellings of Jordan's origin,....
    Last edited by Güicho; 02-03-2020 at 09:18 PM.

I think at this point Guy is the only non-rookie Lantern to not have a super mode where he's pure energy.
    Reimagined public domain superheroes in a 1945 that never was!
    Read the superhero webcomic THE POWER OF STARDUST!

BANNED

So when the cartoon (which had already introduced Kyle) used John (Hal was dead), instead of the young creative architect, the cartoon instead pretty much gave him Jordan's once square jawed personality and military bent. (John was nothing like that in the comic)
    I don't believe that John's personality on the Justice League cartoon was inspired at all by Hal Jordan. Going by interviews, and just by looking at how things turned out, it was something totally new for Green Lantern that was inspired by a character in the movie An Officer and a Gentleman. John had the personality he had to make the character dynamics on the show more interesting, not in any way to ape Hal Jordan. It's something the creators of the show came up with to suit the interests they had in their own unique situation.

This isn't to say that certain aspects weren't taken from Hal Jordan's stories and used for John, but that wasn't one of them.

BANNED

And they're still struggling on how to define John and make him unique, now that Kyle(the Ion-Rainbow) has replaced him as the young creative über embodiment of the concept.
    Oh, also...

I don't think the people behind the scenes are struggling all that much to make John unique. They likely just don't give two poops, so the character pretty much flounders.

So instead of the young, angst at the man, rebellious, creative, artistic, or hi concept GL that was John Stewart
    They went instead with an older, seasoned, square jawed, ex military, GL who fits into classic Hal Jordan stories, John Stewart.
    Last edited by Güicho; 02-04-2020 at 05:25 AM.