Default The Riddler Appreciation Thread 2020

BTAS Riddler is still the best:

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    BTAS Riddler is still the best:

Glover’s vocal performance, and their insistence on trying to only do Riddler stories they thought were actually clever, worked wonders.

That Riddler feels like he’s genuinely smarter than most of the Rogues Gallery, and even seems to show how dangerous (some) sanity can be in an interpretation of the character.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Glover’s vocal performance, and their insistence on trying to only do Riddler stories they thought were actually clever, worked wonders.

That Riddler feels like he’s genuinely smarter than most of the Rogues Gallery, and even seems to show how dangerous (some) sanity can be in an interpretation of the character.
    Very clever, indeed. Just don't let the Joker know about this.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Glover’s vocal performance and their insistence on trying to only do Riddler stories they thought were actually clever, worked wonders.

That Riddler feels like he’s genuinely smarter than most of the Rogues Gallery and even seems to show how dangerous (some) sanity can be in an interpretation of the character.
    I only watched one episode of BTAS Riddler, the minotaur labyrinth, and I remember his hammy pride more than anything so I can't really say if he's cleverer than any version. Jim Carey's Riddler, which came out around the same time is more memorable in my mind because he's the ham of the ham.

I don't think I ever read comic Riddler during this time... yeah... the first comic Riddler I read was Hush, and I was confused and in denial because in my mind Riddler's supposed to be goofy like Jim Carrey and Frank Gorshin. I was like... Nah... really?... this guy? And then of course I realize... well, yeah, it makes sense, his thing is making riddles, so he should be mastermind level smart.

In comparison to every Riddler, I saw that era, which is only Carrey and Gorshin, I guess BTAS Riddler automatically would be the smartest and coolest.

BANNED

I really wish they would use Query and Echo more regularly, they had cool designs and fun personalities that bounced off Riddler's pretty well. Of course they never really did much since the heroes always took them down pretty easily, but at least they're more interesting than the usual faceless goons, without going so deep down the well of character development that they outshine the villain himself, like Harley.
    Last edited by PwrdOn; 02-01-2020 at 04:20 PM.

A Batman's foe who got my respect after I read Batman: King Tut's Tomb.

Mighty Member

Yeah the Riddler was used rather sparingly in BTAS because they wanted his episodes to be clever as well as not take too long (as it is a children's cartoon). Interestingly, he didn't have any episodes in TNBA despite being one of the characters who got a more drastic redesign. I will say that he did get some good use in the comics based on TNBA, Gotham Adventures #11 standing out (especially as it follows up after Riddler's Reform).

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Yeah the Riddler was used rather sparingly in BTAS because they wanted his episodes to be clever as well as not take too long (as it is a children's cartoon). Interestingly, he didn't have any episodes in TNBA despite being one of the characters who got a more drastic redesign. I will say that he did get some good use in the comics based on TNBA, Gotham Adventures #11 standing out (especially as it follows up after Riddler's Reform).
    Agreed. It was nice to know that there was still some continuity going on between BTAS & TNBA, even in the pages of Gotham Adventures. Speaking of which, I would have liked to have seen a follow-up to "What Is Reality?" (especially, the revelation of how Nygma escaped his virtual-reality prison).
    Last edited by K7P5V; 02-07-2020 at 08:56 PM.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

The cover for BATMAN #171 always gives a chuckle, its by Carmine Infantino and Murphy Anderson.

Bats#171.jpg

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Already reminds me of Rocksteady and Earth One Riddler. Can't wait to see him in a costume...

From the story "Know Your Foes" in Detective Comics #566 (September 1986):

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

When it comes to the Riddler, I'm actually a little picky in how I'd like him to be portrayed.

He's a smug, arrogant jerk, His motivation is that he wants to prove his superior intellect, He doesn't care about money or solving the Ultimate Riddle, he desires attention and praise. He's a scrawny geek, He wears bright green and isn't ashamed of it and while he's not above putting innocent people in danger, he doesn't take pleasure in killing (he only does it when it's absolutely necessary or if it's in the service of his main goal)

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

As of the recent solicit, comic BTAS Riddler is getting his own volume

Astonishing Member

Don't forget:

• Enigma, Riddler's Daughter.
    • Conundrum (a female Riddler)

I'd like their return as well as Echo and Query's.

On that idea, I'd also like the see the return of Anna Gram -Riddler's henchwoman from Batman 1966 series.