Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Who are the Class 70 contenders?

We've got a fairly comprehensive list of Class 80 heroes/villains on up - but who occupies the rung of ladder right below that? Class 70 needs love to!

We will be judging this purely on a strength/durability perspective.

If the character can take turns punching The Thing (Ben Grimm) and ultimately lose but put up a solid fight, they can be considered. We can also judge them solely on strength feat calculations and so on.

I'll go first, but feel free to disagree:

Most Iron Man armors
    Blob
    Gorilla Grodd
    Volstagg
    Rhino
    Rockslide
    Kenshiro
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

I can’t really comment on Kenshiro, and I don’t think I’ve seen enough of Rockslide’s feats to comment. But of that list, I’m not sure I’d put any in Class 70 territory (except some mid-level Iron Man suits).

Tony’s suits are probably Class 80 nowadays. Rhino I’d also say was a Class 80 - he’d lose to Ben due to inferior skill and being dumb as a brick, but he’s strong as all hell.
    Blob I’m kind of unsure about. You could make an argument for him being just about anywhere, as a lot of his strength feats are actually durability or immovability feats.
    Grodd and Volstagg (non-Thor powers) I’d both pitch about Classic Rogue / Class 50 level.

Iron Man's armors have been repeatedly referred to as 85 tonners since at least Byrne's run.

This is why we need a list!!
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Iron Man's armors have been repeatedly referred to as 85 tonners since at least Byrne's run.
    85 tons is not Class 85.

Class 85 is 1000s of tons.

The ‘class number = number of tons’ system breaks down after about Class 10.

Iron Man can lift a hell of a lot more than 85 tons.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

I'm not a fan of pigeon-holing stuff into Classes. I've always been more about comparing feats.

Classes are just 'have feats that are somewhere near these other guys, so we'll throw them all into some group together'. Or should be.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    85 tons is not Class 85.

Class 85 is 1000s of tons.

The ‘class number = number of tons’ system breaks down after about Class 10.

Iron Man can lift a hell of a lot more than 85 tons.
    Yes, but he started to be called that during a time when saying characters can lift a certain tonnage was a shorthand for saying they were intended to be in a certain class, even if those characters lifted weights astronomically higher in the very issues where they were stated to be able to lift 85(or whatever) number of tons. Going by feats, he can lift many tens of thousands of tons.

Not sure if these characters fit in 70's category or not, but here they are:

Amazon
    Magdalene
    Thundra
    Her (Kismet)
    Ares
    Doc Samson

It's obsolete now, but this graphic was a pretty decent benchmark for Marvel heroes in the '80s:

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    It's obsolete now, but this graphic was a pretty decent benchmark for Marvel heroes in the '80s:

Even in the 80s, Silver Surfer =/= Luke Cage.

In fact ESPECIALLY in the 80s, because Luke's had an upgrade since.

Likewise Namor =/= Thundra, and Tony never really played in the same space as the Class 100 crew.

I’ll forgive Beast being in the same group as Captain Britain, because that’s Brian’s old costume and he took a big boost after that.

Yeah I was never a huge fan of the marvel strength class system, too misleading. Thor, a class 100 has a feat from early issue of JIM where he presses a million tons overhead.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Unabashed calling of attention to Class in the Rumbles Dictionary.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Yeah I was never a huge fan of the marvel strength class system, too misleading. Thor, a class 100 has a feat from early issue of JIM where he presses a million tons overhead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Unabashed calling of attention to Class in the Rumbles Dictionary.
    I'm not reeaaally attempting to adhere to and/or create some rigid definition. Nor am I particularly a fan of Marvel's old system.

Basically I just wanted to know "who could Ben Grimm BEAT in a slugfest but not easily".
    - big_adventure

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Ben is quite a bit stronger than Kenshiro, given his whole skyscraper sword feats. Ken really don't wanna get hit by him more than a couple of times.

Ken has regeneration on his side though but that just prolongs the inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Hercules once towed the island of Manhattan with a chain. Hulk held up a mountain range in Secret Wars. Those are all ridiculous feats that leave Wonder Man and Iron Man looking out of place in that bracket.